Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fairly Unskilled WHV - Opportunities?

• 12-03-2012 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I'm heading to WA at the end of June, on a WHV. I graduated in 2010 with a nice but relatively useless Arts degree, and have tried and failed to secure work in this area. I don't think I'll pursue work in this area in Australia, and will probably do barwork for a while.
    I'm wondering how likely it is that businesses/companies/organisations in Australia would take on and train graduates of different disciplines to suit their field. I'm seeing lots of stuff lately about IT or Java or Cloud computing conversion courses in Ireland, is this demand in Oz?
    I've registered with public sector job updates in WA, it's a pretty interesting and varied supply of jobs; Customer Service Officer at Perth CBD Law Courts, Admin Assistant at Heritage Council, stuff like that. How easy or difficult would it be to get in to the public sector at entry level and train up? Hmm...pondering!
    A friend of a friend is living in Christchurch, she went over with a Fetac L5 qualification, and now has a nifty 9-5 with the city council. That would be right up my street.

I guess I'm asking if anyone has gone to Oz on a WHV, fairly inexperienced, and discovered a new career or got lucky or is still chancing it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

I cant offer you any wise words as I've not gone through any of that but I can offer you this website incase you havent seen it yet. Not what you're after but it's a pretty handy site.

http://www.seek.com.au/

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A lot of government jobs require residency. Just sOmething to watch out for

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

To work in pubs and bars, you need a RSA certificate I think.

www.aot.edu.au/responsible-service-of-alcohol.html

Also mate, dont mean to be harsh, but I hope you understand that you wont just land a job in a bar within a week of landing, even if you complete the RSA cert, it could take 3 to 4 weeks before any vacancies come up.

One sector to keep an eye out for is the hospital and carers sectors etc.

I got a job as a part time cleaner in a private hospital when I came over on my WHV a few years ago. Was making enough money to cover rent/food etc. and then some! After a few months of that, I got a full time job as a orderly in another hospital, and was making top dollar then if I do say so myself, especially for a person over on a WHV. Check out vacancies in private hospitals, young children centres, retirement homes etc.

Keep an eye on www.seek.com.au

and www.gumtree.com.au

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Duckie88

Thanks for the tips, Seek is a pretty good jobsite. Lot's on offer there. Very much makes sense that government jobs would require residency, unless it's contract work? I'm guessing temp work is limited in public sector. And Mr. Haughy, thanks for your advice, that should push me into the right direction. Got me some qualifications in the area of care, so it could be a good gateway if that's the case. I guess my initial view of the care sector in Oz was that it's pretty undervalued in comparison to here, or Canada let's say... I think I'll have to see for myself, and will focus on social/healthcare when looking for work.

Working in a bar right now, surprised myself at how much I enjoy it. So I reckon I might try for some when I get out there first. I guess I didn't appreciate the wait would be that long, but I might have a better chance in regional WA? The Mr. is into agri-engineering, so we're looking Fremantle/Bunbury/Albany direction.

Advertisement