Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get FTA channels on my skybox after cancelling sky contract?

• 31-03-2011 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭

Sorry in advance for this question which I'm sure has been asked a thousand times before on this forum!

I cancelled my sky contract the other day and I was going to contact a local TV shop to get FTA satellite installed but a workmate has told me that all the FTA channels will stay on my skybox after my current contract expires? I would appreciate if someone on here could fill me in on this please.

My skybox is a grundig make with dv3 written on it,another person told me depending on the make of skybox you have,
    you could get the FTA channels after your sky contract has expired?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Yes, you already have them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

excollier wrote: »
    Yes, you already have them
    Cheers excollier. So it's safe to say that I'd be wasting 220 euros to get freesat installed when I'll still be able to view the FTA channels on my skybox even after my contract with sky ends?

Sorry again for the question but the local freesat installer told my wife this was not the case and he'd install it a few days before my contract expires with sky so we wouldn't lose any viewing time! I'd say he was chancing his arm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Henree

If you turn off the box, take out the card, and power back on you get the channel line up from the UK, its better because all the ITVs and channel 5 are on the Channel line up and you dont have to go to "other channels". As for that Freesat Installer, he some cowboy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Henree wrote: »
    If you turn off the box, take out the card, and power back on you get the channel line up from the UK, its better because all the ITVs and channel 5 are on the Channel line up and you dont have to go to "other channels". As for that Freesat Installer, he some cowboy!
    Thanks very much Henree. That'll save me more money! A lot of FTA satellite installers are cropping up all over the place and they'll say anything to get you to buy off them! Thanks again for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

You will have to add Channel 5 via other channels

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

quick question...not to be creating another thread...can i change the layout so all the channels are together?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Finne1993

quick question...not to be creating another thread...can i change the layout so all the channels are together?

Set up the channels in the favourites section and you can create your own tv guide, you can select up to 50 channels to be displayed in your favourites (In reality there is only around that number of channels worth watching anyway) Then you can easily access your favourites by pressing tv guide and the blue button.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Henree wrote: »

As long as you don't have a HD box

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Masala

But the Sky Box you are left has a limited number of channels. There is probably only 12-15 channels to watch. 4 x ITV, 4 x BBC, 2 x E4 + a couple of CBS etc. Only 3 x Music and they are useless.

I think that FreeSAT installer will be putting ina new Dish aimed at sourcing over 100 channels (maybe 200+ if you want the Arabic stuff etc)

So....I think you are talking Chalk & Cheeses here!

I find the Sky free box handy for the ITV 3+4 and BBC 3+4 as you get Morse, Ol Gray Whistle Test, Colubo re-runs etc and teh E4 is nearly solid re-runs of Friends!! It does the trick for me in teh kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Masala wrote: »
    But the Sky Box you are left has a limited number of channels. There is probably only 12-15 channels to watch. 4 x ITV, 4 x BBC, 2 x E4 + a couple of CBS etc. Only 3 x Music and they are useless.

I think that FreeSAT installer will be putting ina new Dish aimed at sourcing over 100 channels (maybe 200+ if you want the Arabic stuff etc)

I find the Sky free box handy for the ITV 3+4 and BBC 3+4 as you get Morse, Ol Gray Whistle Test, Colubo re-runs etc and teh E4 is nearly solid re-runs of Friends!! It does the trick for me in teh kitchen.

The Skybox picks up ALL the channels on Freesat-there's no different channels available.There's actually 13 free music channels on a skybox not 3.Go up into the higher numbers and all the Arabic/Shopping channels are there.
    Freesat and Sky channels come from the same satellite,so if you have a Skybox without a card then no need to pay for another box that picks up exactly the same stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Masala

Oohh... then I stand corrected!!

As I said - it does me fine in the Kitchen when the rest of the family want to watch Dancing on Ice, X-Factor etc on the main tv in the sutting room! That's my cue to get lost to the kitchen....and as i said watch a Morse or a FRost re-run. Or my personal favourite - the Swedish Wallander!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

Masala wrote: »

he will lose the rte channels though correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Correct you lost them from the sat box you can always have Irish channels from an aerial or even cats ears depending on your signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭sligo camper

Finne1993 wrote: »
    Set up the channels in the favourites section and you can create your own tv guide, you can select up to 50 channels to be displayed in your favourites (In reality there is only around that number of channels worth watching anyway) Then you can easily access your favourites by pressing tv guide and the blue button.

so how does this speed up things on a cancelled sky box- at mo i still have to go into other channels to locate and look at some of my favs that are only stored in ;other channels despite my ticking the box for favourites?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭boomslang

Your sort of stuck doing the same without the sky sub channels.
    Our HD box was also locked to the irish epg so the card trick failed. So I removed the hdd and bought a fta HD with pvr functionality. (couldn't afford the foxsat hdr any time soon) TBH this works fine for what we watch. Comag HD box from powercity. No epg but with a pc there is an excellent epg at http://www.tvguide.co.uk/ which does the job. Not missing sky or it's expensive bills either.

Advertisement