Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louis Theroux documentary - The Ultra Zionists

• 03-02-2011 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,045 ✭✭✭✭

This is on tonight.. I suspect some here might like to watch it.

BBC2 - 9:00pm (Louis Theroux, Ultra Zionists) - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00ybyxp

Just a heads up for anyone interested

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Fantastic. I love Louis Theroux. This should be really interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Therioux is himself jewish. Wonder if that will influence his opinions given. This show has the possibility to be absolute dynamite. Can't wait to see the reactions in the various discussion forums after it's over.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,045 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Therioux is himself jewish. Wonder if that will influence his opinions given. This show has the possibility to be absolute dynamite. Can't wait to see the reactions in the various discussion forums after it's over.

I'm almost certain that he isn't Jewish.. afaik he's irreligious but was raised in a catholic family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

pretty sure i saw this documentary before

yep, i have seen it. good watch but nothing you wont already know

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    yep, i have seen it. good watch but nothing you wont already know

Are you sure? According to the BBC site and Louis' Twitter page, it's the first time it has aired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Therioux is himself jewish. Wonder if that will influence his opinions given.

As URL has said, Theroux is not Jewish though it seems to be a popular myth about him.

Possibly this is because of the scene in his show with the US Nazis in which he refuses to confirm or deny their suspicions. But if you look at his background there's no suggestion he's Jewish.

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

Irrelevant if he is Jewish or not.

Thanks for sharing url. Always enjoyed Theroux's programmes, should be well woth the watch.
    Anyway. Part 1 on Youtube,

part 2 on related videos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Thought this was brilliant. Depressing watch though, can't see any possible way out of the predicament over there.

Nope, beliefs are a horrible thing, people kill and die for beliefs, i prefer theories and ideas

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

As usual with Louis Theroux it was very thought provoking. The attitude of some of those settlers was nauseating. The sheer arrogance and racism was really revolting.

The only problem with Louis documentaries is that he focussing in on a bizarre sub-culture, and sometimes the viewer is left with the impression that all Israelis are like the ones in the documentary, when in fact that is just the lunatic fringe. It was the equivalent of a documentary on a group of extremist Muslims who believe that all Jews should be put to the sword. It would have been better if it was maybe a two-parter, that also focussed perhaps on the Palestinian side, with both episodes also including views from the larger more moderate views.

The sad thing is, that although those nut-bag religious types are a tiny minority, they hold sway in government. Its documentaries like that that really expose the dangers of religious radicals. I wish people would just see the wailing wall as just a wall, and the temple mount as just a building. That those ancient books can cause so much misery for people today is really mind-boggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭allybhoy

yekahS wrote: »
    As usual with Louis Theroux it was very thought provoking. The attitude of some of those settlers was nauseating. The sheer arrogance and racism was really revolting.

The only problem with Louis documentaries is that he focussing in on a bizarre sub-culture, and sometimes the viewer is left with the impression that all Israelis are like the ones in the documentary, when in fact that is just the lunatic fringe. It was the equivalent of a documentary on a group of extremist Muslims who believe that all Jews should be put to the sword. It would have been better if it was maybe a two-parter, that also focussed perhaps on the Palestinian side, with both episodes also including views from the larger more moderate views.

The sad thing is, that although those nut-bag religious types are a tiny minority, they hold sway in government. Its documentaries like that that really expose the dangers of religious radicals. I wish people would just see the wailing wall as just a wall, and the temple mount as just a building. That those ancient books can cause so much misery for people today is really mind-boggling.

I've been to Israel and unfortunately the mindset of those in the documentary lastnight would be the opinion of the vast vast majority of people I met in over there, allbeit perhaps not as vocal in front of camera. I couldn't believe when the young guy started saying he saw 'arabs' as unequal and the Jews were the chosen race..... Eh hello Holocaust much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Mr Plough

Flame the BBC on one hand.. Look forward to watching in on the other. Difficult to decipher what is being spoonfed and what is good honest journalism/reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

The only problem with Louis documentaries is that he focussing in on a bizarre sub-culture
    , and sometimes the viewer is left with the impression that all Israelis are like the ones in the documentary, when in fact that is just the lunatic fringe. It was the equivalent of a documentary on a group of extremist Muslims who believe that all Jews should be put to the sword. It would have been better if it was maybe a two-parter, that also focussed perhaps on the Palestinian side, with both episodes also including views from the larger more moderate views.

That is standard Theroux. Tabloid masquerading as Broadsheet, delivered with a Guardian accent. Seen through him a long time ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Mr Plough

ArtSmart wrote: »
    That is standard Theroux. Tabloid masquerading as Broadsheet, delivered with a Guardian accent. Seen through him a long time ago.

It's the fkn BBC at the end of the day.

Mr Plough wrote: »
    It's the fkn BBC at the end of the day.
    :confused::confused::confused:

naw, the beeb usually do good work. mind you Ch4's Dispatches is wiping the floor with them at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭RoboClam

He's a funny man though!

He doesn't masquerade as anything other than what he is tbh.. he openly states that he and his documentaries are 'gonzo style' journalism.

He doesn't masquerade as anything other than what he is tbh.. he openly states that he and his documentaries are 'gonzo style' journalism.
    fair nuff. he admits to it, that's grand.

fair nuff. he admits to it, that's grand.

Just wanted to point that out :)

I don't agree with what yekahS says about the viewer being left with the impression that all Israelis are like the people in the documentary either. At the end of the day, he set out to show viewers the more extreme side of reality. If people conclude that it's representative of Israelis as a whole then that's their own prerogative. In the episode "The City Addicted to Crystal Meth", I doubt anyone was left believing that everybody in Fresno was addicted to the drug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

The IDF reminded me of Roman Legion, full of their own superiority enjoying their bully boy tactics. The benefits Israel enjoys from being allied with the States is temporary at best, that state of affairs isn't going to last forever and if it continues to persecute and oppress the Palestinians in addition to antagonizing the rest of Arab world then I can see it facing a multitude of enemies seeking revenge and being overwhelmed.

A lot of it I think comes from a kind of cultural aftermath of persecution down through the centuries and the continued anti semitism sentiment from Arab countries and Hamas. They don't give a fck what the UN thinks because since when did gentiles ever treat them fairly? Of course refusing the to inter marry and having different customs would probably explain why they faced such persecution which culminated in the Final Solution. If we're going to be gassed and cooked in ovens then fck everyone would be their reasoning. And as horrific as that was, all they're doing is continuing the legacy of hate that they faced with the Palestinians under the aegis of religion.

Its the one thing that annoyed me in the documentary, that actions are fully justified by ideology. I say fck ideology, use your mind to see clearly, religion is nonsense, political dogmatism is nonsense, look into oneself and reflect upon that in relation to the exterior world, then come back to me and try to justify evicting Palestinians from their land, terrorizing them etc.

I would like to see a two state solution but people get very primitive, territorial and tribalistic when it comes to culture and statism when they should realize that the state, the people, the culture are all just products of history, they have no absolute claim in history. But then religion/ideology is a very effective means of ignoring these facts. They go at it and wonder about the injustice of their peoples being killed in hamas/IDF attacks. Its saddening really.

is just the lunatic fringe.

Disagree with this point. Otherwise I agree with you.

These links were just randomly thrown together just now by me to demonstrate it is unfortunately not just a tiny minority. Russian born Avigdor Lieberman a racist, facist who favours ethnically cleansing Israeli Arabs from Israel is the Deputy Prime Minister and foriegn minister.
    Nearly six of every 10 Israelis think Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu should resist U.S. demands to completely freeze construction in Jewish West Bank settlements, according to a new poll released Friday.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/poll-56-of-israelis-back-settlement-construction-1.277841
    More than half of Jewish Israelis think human rights organizations that expose immoral behavior by Israel should not be allowed to operate freely, and think there is too much freedom of expression here, a recent survey

found.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/poll-majority-of-israel-s-jews-back-gag-on-rights-groups-1.285120

Thirty-three percent of Israeli Jews support the idea of putting Palestinians in internment camps if a war breaks out, said the results of an opinion poll conducted by the Israel Democracy Institute released on Tuesday, The Christian Science Monitor reported.
    http://www.presstv.ir/detail/153931.html
    Nearly half of Israel's high school students do not believe that Israeli-Arabs are entitled to the same rights as Jews in Israel, according to the results of a new survey released yesterday. The same poll revealed that more than half the students would deny Arabs the right to be elected to the Knesset.
    http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/poll-half-of-israeli-high-schoolers-oppose-equal-rights-for-arabs-1.264564

And then recently you had government employed Rabbis urging Jews not to rent houses to goyim or to dilute the master/chosen race by Jews marrying non Jews.

It's some scary **** and it's going to explode sooner rather than later. Severely compounded by the fact the US media (and beyond) is dominated by Zionist interests and otherwise dictated to by the Zionist lobby, likewise the whole US political system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭enno99

And then recently you had government employed Rabbis urging Jews not to rent houses to goyim or to dilute the master/chosen race by Jews marrying non Jews.

Tea Party Rabbi tells the truth :pac:

Advertisement