Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share something you like/find interesting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

For all you into ye're photography...

http://mashable.com/2012/03/01/lytro-camera-gallery/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

EDIT: I've been pointed to this link that was posted as a critical response to the video above. If you have watched the video, this is also worth your time. Although I'm mostly supportive of the video and its ideas, there's also many negative points.

EDIT2: This article sums the whole thing up nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

As Chris Blattman, a political scientist at Yale, writes on the topic of IC’s programming, “There’s also something inherently misleading, naive, maybe even dangerous, about the idea of rescuing children or saving of Africa. […] It hints uncomfortably of the White Man’s Burden. Worse, sometimes it does more than hint. The savior attitude is pervasive in advocacy, and it inevitably shapes programming. Usually misconceived programming.”
    The Visible Children thing raises a lot of interesting points, but this just keeps jumping out at me as being hugely over-simplistic. The fact that this is an African issue doesn't automatically mean that it's a case of us white folk riding in to "save" these poor black people imo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Wasn't really sure where to post this, I always kinda just gave a cursory acknowledgement of the trouble in Syria - as many often do with these kinda things, especially when it's the Middle East - but this article really highlighted for me the absolutely disgusting and inhumane treatment of the protestors in Syria. These are surely some of the most heinous crimes against humanity in the last decade.
    More than 8,000 people have been killed in Syria since the uprising began a year ago, and many more injured . Fearing ill-treatment at official hospitals, demonstrators have sought help at underground clinics. One Damascus surgeon tells his story.

I was at home, looking out of the window, watching a demonstration, when I saw a car being driven very fast. Two men from the security forces leaned out and started shooting randomly at the demonstrators - shooting to kill.

The demonstrators were doing nothing, just shouting for freedom. There were a lot of dead and injured people on the ground.

The demonstrators ran inside a mosque, and some began shouting over the loud-speakers: "Stop killing us! We don't have guns, we are peaceful! We have injured men, we have to treat them!" They asked for doctors, nurses, medical supplies and blood bags.

I took some medical equipment and went to the mosque, using side streets to avoid snipers. Inside it was terrible. There were no medical supplies, not many doctors, too many injured people… People were dying in front of my eyes.

We asked them to go to the hospital, but they said: 'We can't - yesterday people were taken to the hospitals and now we don't know what has happened to them.' Their friends had told them that going to hospital is basically a death sentence. The security forces might arrest you, torture you, or even kill you.

My colleague was working at a military hospital in Damascus. He said a lot of injured people came in - some with only minor injuries - and all of them were killed.

I asked him, 'Are you sure about that?' He said, 'Yes I'm sure. All of them were dead.'

At the [civilian] government hospitals, they didn't kill anyone, but they were beating them. One of the injured men I treated myself had a fracture in his hip bone where he'd been shot, and I asked him: 'Why is this? A bullet does not make this kind of injury.'

He said someone in the security forces jumped on his leg at the hospital, and that's how it was broken. He managed to escape, and came to us.

There are two kinds of injuries that we treat - from bullets, and from torture or beating. The most dangerous ones are the injuries from gunfire. We can treat injuries to the legs, the hands, the shoulders. But a gunshot in the chest or abdomen - we can't do anything. The patients die.

We need morphine for those in acute pain, but we can't get it. Sometimes we try to get it smuggled in through, but it's risky. A lot of activists have been killed smuggling medicine.

Every few weeks, we hear that the security forces have come into a field hospital and taken all the supplies or arrested a doctor.

They have their own spies, even among us. You can't trust everyone - sometimes the man who is carrying an injured demonstrator to a field hospital is a spy.

One of our doctors was arrested and the security forces showed him a video where he was helping demonstrators in the field hospital. So the video was made by a spy, who pretended he was with us. He had also given information and details about our field hospital's location.

In the circumstances we are operating in, when we can't do anything for the patients, it's very disappointing.

We feel hopeless, because when you see that someone is dying between your hands, and the government hospital is just five minutes away from the location where you are… that hurts your heart. It hurts your humanity.

The only people who can get treated are those who support of the government. It's inhumane.

In the beginning I was counting the number of people who I wasn't able to save, but I'm not counting them anymore. It is written in your brain, in your head… The memories, the images, the blood, the shouting.

It is very dangerous. In the beginning we were afraid to work. But we need to know inside ourselves, in our hearts, that we are human. Our role, as doctors, is to treat the injured, whoever they are.

If a doctor is caught treating demonstrators, they might arrest him or even kill him. Two days ago a doctor in Homs was murdered with a knife through his neck. And five days ago, another doctor was also murdered with a knife, along with his wife and three children.

So far I believe 54 medical staff have been killed, including nurses, doctors and medical students.

What motivates me? My honour, my duty as a doctor.

When we graduated from medical school we took the Hippocratic oath. And the way that I was raised, my religion, everything. I'm part of the human race, and I need to honour this oath, as a doctor and as a human."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17398886

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FredBaby!

This one goes out to all you 90's kidz out there...

http://splitsider.com/2012/03/mark-mothersbaugh-on-rugrats/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Experts admitted surprise at the findings because so many other studies have linked red meat to physical health risks.
    The team made the link after a study of 1000 Australian women.
    Professor Felice Jacka, who led the research by Deakin University, Victoria, said: "We had originally thought that red meat might not be good for mental health but it turns out that it actually may be quite important.
    "When we looked at women consuming less than the recommended amount of red meat in our study, we found that they were twice as likely to have a diagnosed depressive or anxiety disorder as those consuming the recommended amount.
    "Even when we took into account the overall healthiness of the women's diets, as well as other factors such as their socioeconomic status, physical activity levels, smoking, weight and age, the relationship between low red meat intake and mental health remained.

"Interestingly, there was no relationship between other forms of protein, such as chicken, pork, fish or plant-based proteins, and mental health. Vegetarianism was not the explanation either. Only nineteen women in the study were vegetarians, and the results were the same when they were excluded from the study analyses."
    Professor Jacka, an expert in psychiatric health, believed the diet of the sheep and cattle was relevant.
    "We know that red meat in Australia is a healthy product as it contains high levels of nutrients, including the Omega-3 fatty acids that are important to mental and physical health," she said.
    "This is because cattle and sheep in Australia are largely grass fed. In many other countries, the cattle are kept in feedlots and fed grains, rather than grass. This results in a much less healthy meat with more saturated fat and fewer healthy fats."
    But eating too much red meat could be as bad for mental health as not eating enough.The Australian government recommends eating 65 -100g of lean, red meat three to four times a week.
    "We found that regularly eating more than the recommended amount of red meat was also related to increased depression and anxiety," Professor Jacka added. "We already know that the overall quality of your diet is important to mental health. But it seems that eating a moderate amount of lean red meat, which is roughly three to four small, palm-sized serves a week, may also be important."
    The results of the study are published in the journal Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics.The Department of Health recommends consuming no more than 70g of red meat a day - the equivalent of a Big Mac burger.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/9158235/Red-meat-halves-risk-of-depression.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

wow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Conor108 wrote: »
    wow

"One technical issue with the Google car yet to be ironed out is that it often forgets its destination, then begins following every movement of other drivers on the road as well as taking you towards updates and privacy agreements you have no interest in."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Google Art Project

An art project. By Google. Quite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

The Old Man and the Sea from Marcel Schindler on Vimeo deserves a watch. It's pretty damn cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

I most certainly did not cry while watching this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Drawception.
    Drawception is a free browser-based game that combines the telephone game/chinese whispers with drawing (like Eat Poop You Cat and BPT). Anyone can play! Here's how it works:

1) A player begins a game with a short phrase - for example, "A cow jumping over the moon"
    2) A randomly chosen player then draws that phrase (within 10 minutes using simple tools)
    3) Another random player describes the new drawing
    4) Yet another player draws the new description
    5) Steps 3 and 4 repeat until 12 unique players have participated
    When completed, the descriptions and drawings are stitched together and everyone can view the often unexpected and hilarious results!

example-game-batman.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

I most certainly did not cry while watching this!

That is amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I spent about 3 hours on that last night. And now I'm checking in to see if all my games have finished yet. WHYYY DID YOU DO THIS TO MEEEE :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I hate you. Drawception games played=about a million, Essays done=0. Damn you :(

And its made me realise I am a terrible, terrible artist...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I too would like to express my dissatisfaction at being presented with this around this near-critical point of the year.

Fortunately it has led me to realise I have psychic powers:
    Fkv47.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

A game in which I drew the final picture is now number one on Hottest Games \o/

http://drawception.com/viewgame/KCGbMFytwR/a-man-has-a-tapeworm/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

A game in which I drew the final picture is now number one on Hottest Games \o/

http://drawception.com/viewgame/KCGbMFytwR/a-man-has-a-tapeworm/

Weird! I just upvoted that drawing :P

I drew the 6th panel in 'Shrek and Buzz Lightyear have a Lovechild', which is fifth or sixth hottest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

I recently came across this fantastic video called "The Asylum" on Vimeo:

http://vimeo.com/40005142

Anyway it's made using time lapse photography (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-lapse_photography) which makes it even more amazing, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

...this is cool. Steve Burns, who was in the children's TV show "Blue's Clues" tells the story of his run-in with a Playboy model.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Advertisement