Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackstar HT-5 problem

• 07-02-2012 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Wondering if you guys can help me out here. I was playing my ht-5 the other night, put it in standby for approx 30 minutes and when I switched it back on there's just a really loud whine/hum sound coming from it.

None of the knobs do anything and even plugging out the guitar cable doesn't stop it.

I cracked it open last night and both the valves were lit up, and decided that's about as far as I could take it :)

Anyone got any ideas? Is it worth trying a replacement set of valves?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭nickcave

Don't know if this is any help, but something similar occured to my Blackstar (Series One 45). The amp was shut off due to a power cut without going through standby. When I turned it on again there was a whooshing sound like the sound of waves, which wasn't due to any other equipment. I imagined it was due to the valves being shut off abruptly.

The problem subsided after a while by turning the amp off properly and back on again a few times. Maybe you could try something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ultra55ound

It's been like that for a few days now, I guess I'll bring it to a tech

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Try plugging the guitar straight into the fx loop return and see if the noise is still there.If its ok then it could be your tubes are gone and you'll need to replace them.

Good idea! I tried that but still no good.

Here's the noise: http://soundcloud.com/peter-douglas/ht-5-broken

• Registered Users Posts: 43 cezet

Hi, there
    I'm new here.
    This is not a problem with tubes. I think when you switched on again some cold soldering was break.
    If you are from Carlow/Kilkenny, I can help.

• Advertisement

Thanks man, I replaced the preamp valve but it was still the same. I'm going to bring it to a tech down in Kerry, thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Thanks man, I replaced the preamp valve but it was still the same. I'm going to bring it to a tech down in Kerry, thanks again.

Did ya try changing the main power tubes.What are they in that model EL 34 is it?

I had issues with my series one last year and it was grand after i replaced the power tubes

• Registered Users Posts: 43 cezet

EL34 in Blackstar HT-5 ? ? ?
    I don't think so.
    There is push-pull 1 x 12BH7 dual triode in power stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gpender

Did you ever get your amp sorted. I think mine has gone the same way

Advertisement