Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Overrated film?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Carturo wrote: »
    These threads are ridiculous. You get people naming a great movie, saying it's overrated when they clearly couldn't know anything about films if that's their opinion. It's like a Take That fan slagging Jimi Hendrix.

Go away.

Actually I will.

Good idea. You do that.

How can you saw you know more about films that anyone else here?

It's a fact that there are loads of movies that are critically lauded at their time of release but with the benefit of hindsight are clearly overrated. Critics and audiences alike tend to get swept away for a variety of reasons but ultimately they end up being wrong. Of course it's also a matter of individual taste as to whether a movie is good or not, but that's not what's being discussed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

doubledown wrote: »
    Critics and audiences alike tend to get swept away for a variety of reasons but ultimately they end up being wrong.

*Recalls a time when the Phantom Menace was considered great*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Einstein

Napoleon Dynamite.

Watched it the other day.

Painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I agree with Carturo, people have very varied opinions.

Such as :
    Vanilla sky is one of my favourite films,
    As is Shawshank Redemption and Apocalypse now.

If there is a film that is hyped up by critics and other people and you dont like it then its not the film its YOU !

Galvasean wrote: »
    *Recalls a time when the Phantom Menace was considered great*

By who exactly? Critics were decidedly lukewarm (no pun intended) on its release, were they not? Of course a movie like that is critic-proof anyway, like the latest Indy flick. No matter what kind of reviews it gets people will still see it in droves.

• Advertisement

eddhorse wrote: »
    If there is a film that is hyped up by critics and other people and you dont like it then its not the film its YOU !

No you're wrong, everybody is stupid except me!

By who exactly? Critics were decidedly lukewarm (no pun intended) on its release, were they not? Of course a movie like that is critic-proof anyway, like the latest Indy flick. No matter what kind of reviews it gets people will still see it in droves.

I just remember when the film came out people were blown away by it. Of course once they got over the special effects it was quickly exposed for the mess it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Citizen Kane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

The Lord of the Rings was fairly awful. Had to leave that one half way through

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There's one more secret I feel I have to share with you. I did not care for The Godfather.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    There's one more secret I feel I have to share with you. I did not care for The Godfather.

Why not? Let me guess - because it insists upon itself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

The Apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

On the way out here, so I'll be quick...

OP, it's an infamita to call the GF films "overrated". You need to practice omerta. In fact, you really should have gone unreg for that post...:pac:

Agree with Einstein's post here on Napoleon Dynamite, thought it was just crap. A good approximation of US white trash MTV-led culture, but crap nonetheless.

I would say Lord of the Rings is very overrated. I understand people like the story, but Peter Jackson drained everything out of that bloody film. Look at the follow-up, King Kong...he didn't so much take his time with the story as - oh, insert witty metaphor here.

Cursory glance at IMDB top 50 (http://www.imdb.com/chart/top), starting at the top. Overrated: Dark Knight (great flick, but 4th best film ever?). And North By Northwest. That show's nothing on Vertigo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Shawshank Redemption.Its basically Midnight Express tarted up for Hollywood and mass appeal.Midnight Express was a more hard hitting and emotional film.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭mikep

I have to throw this one in....

Pulp Fiction...there, I said it! Pulp Fiction is totally overrated...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

mikep wrote: »

Pulp Fiction...there, I said it! Pulp Fiction is totally overrated...

Too right, the fooking thing is backways or sideways or some crap.

If the story just ran normally from start to finish, everyone would think it was sh1te...

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

Vantage Point
    Superman (new one)
    Burn After Reading

Inevitably the list will be endless with what somebody find good and somebody finds overrated. I loved all the Star Wars films, but I'm a Star Wars nerd...

Each to their own really!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Why not? Let me guess - because it insists upon itself?
    heh.

Well to answer the question seriously, I think The Matrix is vastly over-rated beyond belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

DanGlee wrote: »
    Vantage Point
    Superman (new one)
    Burn After Reading

Inevitably the list will be endless with what somebody find good and somebody finds overrated. I loved all the Star Wars films, but I'm a Star Wars nerd...

Each to their own really!

Yeah Burn After Reading is pants.

The Shawshank Redemption
    The Godfather [Both Apocalypse Now and The Conversation are vastly supierior]
    Edward Sccisorhands and almost everything else by Tim Burton [except Ed Wood]
    Crash
    Scarface
    The Big Lebowski [Oh Brother Where art Thous and Fargo are far better]
    Sin City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

`do like some coen brothers films but
    1./ fargo (yaaaaw!) and
    2./ no country for old men ??. I think people liked fargo at the time just because it was coen brothers.

hated film 3./ something about mary. spunk in hair jokes is basically used when you arent able to write jokes and I am not a prude, - walked out of that film.

4./ clockwork orange (am I even allow to say that?):eek:
    5./ Eat the peach (liked coz it was made in ireland, god they were miserable times)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I hate this type of threads normally.

But I find El Topo fiercely overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Lost in Translation...cept johansen in her skimpies...she pretty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

The Departed.

While its not a bad film (starts off well and goes downhill). Its definitely not as good as everyone made it out to be. Some very poor acting in parts.
    They should have stuck closer to the original. (Especially with the end)

I always thought the fact that Martin Scorsese won an oscar for this was a token gesture. He created much better films and didnt win an oscar for them when he should have (Goodfellas to name but one) and then they nominate Mark Wahlberg for an Oscar for best supporting actor :eek:. He was one of the reasons the film started to grate on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

Feelgood wrote: »
    Too right, the fooking thing is backways or sideways or some crap.

If the story just ran normally from start to finish, everyone would think it was sh1te...

You could say the sam about many films such as Memento.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

You could say the sam about many films such as Memento.

But that's the point of Memento, you're supposed to be as lost as he is!
    Can't say I cared much for Pulp Fiction either, but then I'm not a Tarantino fan so that's probably why.
    Have to agree with Crash. Can't believe that won an Oscar. Political correctness gone mad........
    Pirates of the Caribbean....I don't know, maybe it was just Orlando Bloom, or maybe Keira Knightley, or maybe the whole obvious blockbuster-y-ness of it all, it really didn't do it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,424 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

So many pet hates for overrated films
    Donnie Gordon Sticky Mandrill,Fight Club,Fargo,American Beauty,The Departed,Sideways.
    All critically acclaimed but I thought they were very average films .
    Other films are just dreadful
    Chicago,Juno,Napoleon Dynamite.
    I could list 100's of overrated films to be honest,certainly alot more than underrated ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

first off, bieng over-rated does not mean i dislike a film...then again,
    overrated
    Juno. liked it, not oscar worthy.
    Indy IV. rubbish
    Cloverfield.
    The prestige. crap ending
    Mission:impossible
    Godzilla (54) useless, not even as good as the 98 remake

underrated
    The thing
    The Matrix sequeals