Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling Magazine Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭jeffk

Didn’t realize it was out till it arrived in the letter box. Great to see more and more pieces on indie wrestling, keep up the great work!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Looking forward to people who dont know too much about Chris Hero/Kassius Ohno. He is on the short list of one of the nicest people in wrestling, watched the most wrestling and heck of a wrestler too.
    - How talkSPORT's Talk Wrestling radio show brought the business back to the mainstream

Hopefully Tommy Boyd was contacted for comment. ;)

Fingers crossed it being in the hall when I come home tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Brian Elliott

rovert wrote: »
    Tommy Boyd was contacted for comment. ;) Fingers crossed it being in the hall when I come home tonight.
    We did speak to Tommy - nice guy! - although you'll probably hear more from him in the second part of the article, coming next month.

Hi folks,

We have uploaded last year's Larry Sweeney tribute article, which you can read at the following links:
    www.tinyurl.com/fsmlarrysweeney1
    www.tinyurl.com/fsmlarrysweeney2
    www.tinyurl.com/fsmlarrysweeney3

If you can share the links on other websites or social media, it would be appreciated. Thank you.

Here's a look at a part of FSM 79's News section. I know it only provides a hint to the overall new design, but I hope it'll pique your interest. :)
    www.tinyurl.com/FSM79NewLook1

• Advertisement

I'm delighted to announce that Ring of Honor Executive Producer Jim Cornette has joined FSM as a columnist. You can read the full press release here: www.tinyurl.com/FSMPressRelease

We've got a second big announcement that will be made during the live edition of Raw tonight (April 16). I think you'll like it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm delighted to announce that Ring of Honor Executive Producer Jim Cornette has joined FSM as a columnist. You can read the full press release here: www.tinyurl.com/FSMPressRelease

SOLD! I've not got the last few issues but will definitely start picking the magazine back up if JC is writing for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

I'm delighted to announce that Ring of Honor Executive Producer Jim Cornette has joined FSM as a columnist.

Congrats, that's a great coup.

Thank you, but I think I can go one better:

I'm also very proud to announce that "Stone Cold" Steve Austin has also joined FSM. Steve will be appearing bi-monthly with his thoughts on the relevant topics in the industry, as well as stories from his own illustrious career.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

That is crazy awesome news. I hope it pays off! Congratulations, that's HUGE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭jeffk

Issue arrived today, once again no issues with delivery, Looks like it’s full of great pieces , Im glad I took the plunge and subscribed again.

I like the new layout, but would it not be better to justify the text?

New look and new columnists! The new issue of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

24e7rzq.jpg

In this month's edition, Issue 79, FSM has features on:
    - WrestleMania weekend from a live perspective
    - The stars of Florida Championship Wrestling who could make a difference in WWE
    - How the sex and drugs scandals of 1992 hurt the World Wrestling Federation
    - James Storm, and how he may still be the man to give TNA its own identity
    - FSM gets the inside scoop on Nigel McGuinness’ new documentary
    - As Dave “Fit” Finlay gets ready to debut for Ring of Honor, FSM investigates his lesser-known European career
    - In the second part of a British wrestling special, FSM talks to those involved with Revival 2002
    - How Lou Thesz’ combination of legitimate skill, toughness, and class means he is revered as “the ultimate pro”

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and reviews. Aside from a brand new look, this month’s edition also features the debut columns of Jim Cornette and the one and only “Stone Cold” Steve Austin. We also have a revamped Letters page, and the first in a monthly Training Ground feature, where you can learn about the subtleties of pro wrestling from some of the best workers on the UK and international scenes.

We are looking at this as a new beginning in FSM’s short history, and we hope that you’ll get on board with us by picking up a copy of Issue 79. If there is a topic that you would like to see FSM cover in a future issue, please get in touch by e-mailing contact@fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk .

http://www.fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk/subscribe.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

I hear I'm in the twitter section of the mag... Why? :D

You made it to our Letters/ Facebook / Twitter section. You now have to buy copies for all your family and friends to preserve your immortality. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

You made it to our Letters/ Facebook / Twitter section. You now have to buy copies for all your family and friends to preserve your immortality. :D

I'll buy it tomorrow... ;)

Is it the issue with HHH on the front the newest one??

ciano316 wrote: »
    I'll buy it tomorrow... ;)

Is it the issue with HHH on the front the newest one??
    That's the one!

Ive still got a computer scan of the last letter I got in FSM. Good times :p

Will be picking the mag up this afternoon with eager anticipation of Cornettes column...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I really hate to be that guy, but I have to say it. While the magazines new look is a huge leap forward and the content is, as always, very enjoyable, I really disliked Cornettes column. It was exactly what I feared it would be when I heard he would be writing, him ranting about the WWE, TNA, HHH and Johnny Ace while putting over ROH. I know it is hard not to be with these things, but he came across as bitter and biased as he always has been. I was hoping he would instead give a positive insight to the business and maybe share some great stories, but instead it's another rant about his former employers.

Like I said, the new look is a massive step forward, and the lack of MMA is a log overdue step as it means more top class Wrestlig content DVD reviews. I just hope Jim doesn't go on these rants every month or it will be Alex Shane's self indulgent columns all over again.

I've got to sit on the other side of the fence; I really liked Cornette's piece and really wish he could get more than two pages (in a perfect world, I'd love the man to write a book).

I think it's a fair point to say he's promoting ROH with an obvious bias but he does acknowledge it. And it's hard to argue with any of the points he made about WWE and TNA's attitude to pushing youth. As far as an introductory article for a publication goes, he lays out his opinions pretty clearly; you know what you're going to be getting when you read his stuff and hopefully he expands on things as the months go by. Yeah, he's going to push his own stuff ahead of others, but again I say, it's hard to disagree with his stances on Russo, developmental and all that stuff...

On a side note, it's nice to have a magazine discussing the last PPV and being more or less up to date :P I know it's near impossible to keep up to date 100% but I really get frustrated when magazines come out discussing PPV #1 when the viewer has just watched PPV #2. The joys of a print publication trying to compete with the net I guess. Just nice to be reading about Mania only two weeks after Mania.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I really disliked Cornettes column

Cornette's lunatic rantings unfortunately have a (probably rather large) market.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Cornette's lunatic rantings unfortunately have a (probably rather large) market.

Yeah I find if you read one of his interviews you have read them all. While some of his points are valid there is no point bringing them up again & again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

While Jim brings up good points, it is nothing new from him. Like the guys said, it's the exact same stuff he says with every interview he has done. At first it seemed like he was only doing it to highlight what needs to be changed, now at this point he just seems really really bitter. Like I said, I hope next month he spends his time focusing on something else rather what everyone else is doing wrong and how he always gets it right. (Even though ROH isn't nowhere near as good a product as with was under Gabe and towards the end of Pearces reign.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I believes The Greatest Man that Ever Lived said recently its now Smokey Mountain of Honor. I wonder will Stone Cold write about stuff outside WWE & stick the boot in so to speak on parts of the product he dislikes without getting flak for it by wwe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭JoeSnow

I liked the new layout of FSM magazine.

Ever since ROH moved their TV to Sinclair I very genuinely really don't think there has been a more vocal critic online than me. I completely understand the personal criticisms of Jim too but developmental was and is a major topic of conversation recently. Whether it is FCW leaving their TV station, WWE opening up another in Connecticut to this weeks CAC Jim Ross speech: http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-top-stories/118-daily-updates/25260-chris-cruise-writes-about-jim-ross-advice-to-wrestlers-whose-goal-is-to-reach-the-wwe

JoeSnow wrote: »
    I liked the new layout of FSM magazine.

It really is.

Got a super big kick out of the Talksport/Revival series of articles as that radio show was so influential in my Wrestling fandom and it being an interesting story of a toxic mix radio station and Pro Wrestling politics coming together. Probably cant think of a worse combination actually.

Another article I liked was Lister's Finlay piece. I admit to generalising and possibly giving a bunch of people the short shrift here. But I think Stateside writers understand that Finlay is a big deal in terms of the later 20th/early 21st century fabric of British Wrestling as this type of learnt response but they dont know the who, what, when and why of it all. John Lister has always been able to write credibility about the history British Wrestling despite being only a fairly young man himself. John gets it.

Thanks for all the constructive criticism, folks.

There's no need to fear regarding the subject of Cornette's future columns. Jim wanted to talk about youth development in wrestling for his first column because it's a subject extremely close to his heart, but he is as aware as anyone that WWE and TNA bashing is not the way forward, and neither is smothering FSM readers in Ring of Honor rhetoric. Jim even mentioned this in the column itself.

There will, of course, be a deserved time and place for all of the above, but we're going to make the most of Jim's knowledge and experience in this column.

I guess we will be reading this Jim

jimmycornette8nj38.gif

rovert wrote: »
    I guess we will be reading this Jim

jimmycornette8nj38.gif
    I think I'm going to have to ask him to explain himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Who's that sitting next to Cornette?

Looks like Matt Striker or Shane McMahon but the time period would rule out Striker and I don't remember Cornette/Shane'O doing commentary together.

• Advertisement

Charisteas wrote: »
    Who's that sitting next to Cornette?

Looks like Matt Striker or Shane McMahon but the time period would rule out Striker and I don't remember Cornette/Shane'O doing commentary together.

Shane did the US broadcast version of Sunday Night Heat from the show's debut to a good while after.

Advertisement