Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can mobile broadband be hacked into??

• 27-04-2011 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭

well can it ???????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

On the 3G wireless side, well.. yes it can, but you need expensive equipment and time.. in other words, unlikely to be an issue for you.

If you have worries, the interference is much more likely to be from another avenue of attack, namely, the internet connection itself, your computer has been infected and compromised in some way, or.. you have a wireless connection to a 3G router or wifi dongle that isn't secured properly. (WEP or no encryption at all..)

I'm getting deja-vu, have you asked this type of question before..?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^

nope, i didn't ask that question before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

If you have to ask then the answer is maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What do you mean by "hacked into"? What exactly are you worried about?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

btw I'm talking about regular mobile bb with a usb dongle.

I just heard an item on the radio about people's wifi connection being hacked into and i'm just wondering can the same sort of thing happen with mobile bb?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Completely different situations. It would be far cheaper to just buy broadband than try to connect to someone else over a 3G network. Even then, the modem doesn't serve any connections on the 3G wireless side, so hacking into it that way would be pointless, as they wouldn't be connected through your Internet connection.

A 3G modem is completely different to a Wifi router, and hacking the 3G network would be extremely difficult, expensive, and mostly pointless.

Stealing broadband by cracking the Wifi password is relatively simple, and can be done with minimal of hardware. Choosing a strong password (random characters, not whole words) and good encryption (WPA2) is essential for the Wifi network owner.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

There has also been stuff in the papers recently about setting up false wifi hot spots and stealing information that way.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/apr/25/wifi-security-flaw-smartphones-risk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

dub45, there's not much hacking going on in your link, to be honest, I would class that more as a 'social engineering\bait and switch' scam.

I had the following .pdf in a misc. folder, focusing on GSM, forgot to attach. Interesting to note that efforts involve FPGA's and GPU's being used to extract a key. FPGA's tend to pop up for a lot of the more interesting cryptography articles out there.

Not really feasible for fryup's neighbour, just yet..

See attached.

1519_26C3.Karsten.Nohl.GSM.pdf

Advertisement