Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this available yet?

• 21-06-2012 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've been keeping an eye on these forums for a while but can't determine which I'm looking for is feasible/available yet so I'm going to ask and hope I don't get my head taken off for asking a stupid question.

My setup:-

- At the moment I have UPC HD boxes serving 3 TV's.
    - I have Netflix on 2 of the TV's via attached game consoles.
    - I also have a FreeSat HD with PVR setup (I've a Sagem DTR 94500) which serves one of the TV's but gets little use as the same TV is also served by UPC. I got the FreeSat installed a couple of years ago to see if FreeSat alone could replace UPC but the answer to that was a clear 'no' for two reasons namely 1) We'd miss the Irish channels too much and 2) the kids would miss the Disney type channels too much.

Two years on things have changed.
    1. The kids are older and "Disney" type programs are no longer that popular, they are now much more into National Geographic, The History Channel etc and can access any amount of 'kids' programs on Netflix.

2. SaorView/SaorSat is now a reality.

My requirement:

1. I would like to switch from UPC to a free to air service. Netflix and the local DVD rental shop will cover off the loss of movies and I'll make alternative arrangements for watching SkySports only sporting events such as going to the pub for a few pints ;)

2. I want each TV to be fed by a single box which merges FreeSat and SaorSat/SaorView.

3. I want there to be a single/merged 7 day EPG with built in PVR (preferably 500GB) and "series-link" type recording i.e. an option to record all episodes of a particular program.

4. I want to be able to watch one program and record another simultaneously or possibly watch one and record two at the same time including watching a FreeSat programme whilst recording a SaorSat/SaorView programme and vice versa.

My "Nice to Haves"

1. I would love it if the box which met the requirement outlined above could also act as an extender to Windows Media Player and could also run Netflix.

2. I would love the box to have an internet connection for streaming online content.

So, can my requirement be met in a "single box" manner? I'm sure it can probably be done with multiple boxes and remote controls but I'd rather keep UPC than have a collection of boxes and remotes at each TV.

Is there an installer serving South Dublin who would be interested in surveying my house and giving me a quote to supply and install the relevant equipment?

Cheers,

Ben

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭John mac

Nope. (thats the quick answer)

nothing available yet as user friendly yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There are TVs that can receive Freesat and Saorview. I think Samsung make about 14 models costing £700 for 32 inch to £1,500 for 40 inch 8000 series and up). This would probably give you exactly what you want if you have the cash. You would need to cable each TV with network, and co-ax from satellite and aerial, but it would give you exactly what you want. (Your budget would need to extend to at least €3,000 or so), not easy if you are in recession like the rest of us.

Look at the freesat.co.uk site.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

There are TVs that can receive Freesat and Saorview. I think Samsung make about 14 models costing £700 for 32 inch to £1,500 for 40 inch 8000 series and up). This would probably give you exactly what you want if you have the cash. You would need to cable each TV with network, and co-ax from satellite and aerial, but it would give you exactly what you want. (Your budget would need to extend to at least €3,000 or so), not easy if you are in recession like the rest of us.

Look at the freesat.co.uk site.

there are no required tv yet so far

I have a 40inch samsung smart tv with a freesat tuner and saorview tuner, I got it from pc world in jervis st dublin,

I have a humax freesat+ to record freesat, also have a humax freeviewHD+ to record saorview

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

ftakeith wrote: »
    there are no required tv yet so far

Hi Keith,

Can you clarify what you mean by the above? I'm not sure what you mean.

Ben

I'm also suffering recession, why do you think I want to ditch UPC?? Buying 3 new telly's isn't an option especially when the 3 I have are already flatscreen HD's.

I guess if Samsung can integrate Freesat and Saorview into a TV with a single EPG etc it's only a matter of time before someone puts that functionality into a box we can connect to our TV's.

I guess I'll just have to wait and keep looking :(

Ben

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

BenThere wrote: »
    I guess if Samsung can integrate Freesat and Saorview into a TV with a single EPG etc it's only a matter of time before someone puts that functionality into a box we can connect to our TV's.

Don't think they have a single epg, separate tuners - separate epg for each service. I have a Sony sat TV, separate epgs.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

I'm also suffering recession, why do you think I want to ditch UPC?? Buying 3 new telly's isn't an option especially when the 3 I have are already flatscreen HD's.

I guess I'll just have to wait and keep looking :(

Ben

Samsung haven't combined satellite & Saorview into a single EPG. You have to change sources ... bit of a nuisance. Instead, I use a sat/dtt combo box.

zbluebirdz wrote: »
    You have to change sources ... bit of a nuisance. Instead, I use a sat/dtt combo box.

Can you elaborate on the sat/dtt box? I'm a bit of a novice so need spoon feeding on this stuff.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Can you elaborate on the sat/dtt box? I'm a bit of a novice so need spoon feeding on this stuff.

Ben

sat = satellite using a dish and satellite box.
    dtt = Digital Terrestrial Tv using an aerial and dtt box.
    combo = combination box which takes a signal from both a satellite dish and ordinary aerial and merges them together.

Thanks Gerry,

I do understand that now. So a Sat/DTT box takes in feeds from the two different sources and blends them into a single EPG? Is there a clear "best available" box in the market at the moment? Will it give me the functionality I'm looking for in terms of recording, 7 day EPG, single remote and "no fluting around" when channel surfing i.e. will I have to manually switch between the Sat and DTT feeds when channel hopping?

Ben

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

The main problems with combo boxes are:-
    most only show now/next EPG on the satellite channels
    they record to an external USB drive which requires it's own power supply for best results
    satellite stations change frequency occasionally so the box needs to be manually re-tuned which can be a pain.
    The best offer at the moment is a new Walker box. However as it is so new it still has a few bugs to iron out.
    If you can afford to wait a few weeks, the choices may improve.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056628216

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping that in the last year some new Sat/DTT combo boxes have emerged. Is there a clear "best available" box in the market at the moment? Will it give me the functionality I'm looking for in terms of PVR functionality, 7 day EPG, series link recording, single remote and "no fluting around" when channel surfing i.e. will I have to manually switch between the Sat and DTT feeds when channel hopping?

If such a box exists I'd be very interested in having a couple of them replace my old UPC boxes.

Ben

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

rte player apps and 3player apps from tv3 are now available on samsung smart tvs, nothing worth recording on saorview aprt from us tv and films which are available on freesat

just get humax freetime freesat to record freesat with 2 satellite connections alongside samsung smart tvs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping that in the last year some new Sat/DTT combo boxes have emerged. Is there a clear "best available" box in the market at the moment? Will it give me the functionality I'm looking for in terms of PVR functionality, 7 day EPG, series link recording, single remote and "no fluting around" when channel surfing i.e. will I have to manually switch between the Sat and DTT feeds when channel hopping?

If such a box exists I'd be very interested in having a couple of them replace my old UPC boxes.

Ben

Linux boxes, like VU+ etc. You need one with 3 tuners, 1 x DVB-T 2 DVB-S2. Require setting up. Do not work out of the box.

270865.jpg

STB wrote: »
    Linux boxes, like VU+ etc. Do not work out of the box.

Damm, I'd give myself a 5 out of 10 for hacking/tweaking technology like this. I can flash a ROM and load files etc but that's about it :o

I guess I'll just have to keep waiting another while.

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

5 out of 10 might be good enough.

People who buy VU+/Dream/ET/TM boxes dont necessarily want to watch TV though!

The Venton Linux boxes are fairly cheap now.

Advertisement