Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you hand yourself in to prison for a 2 year stretch, or would you abscond ?

• 25-09-2013 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Was just browsing the news and the last bit of this story caught my eye.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/night-bus-sex-attacker-has-his-sentence-more-than-doubled-on-appeal-29604263.html

A man is sentenced to jail for 2 years with 1 suspended. He served a year and was then released.

However, the state appealed against his original sentence being too lenient.

A judge has ruled that the original sentence was too lenient, and has had his sentence increased to 5 years, with 2 suspended.

This means that he therefore "owes" another 2 years incarceration.

So, currently a free man, he has been told to report to Mountjoy on October 21, to be locked up for another two years.

He is a foreign national.

Weighing it up, if you were in this situation, and you have been told to hand yourself into prison in a months time, to do a two year stretch, what would you do ?

If you were a born and bred citizen of the country, with most of your life (family, freinds, job, home) tied up in the country, you might weigh up the consequences of absconding, with what you have to lose and the future implications of your actions. If you live in that country, you are likely to be found eventually. Were you to abscond by leaving the country, you would have to go somewhere to start over, but you are not going to see those people again, and lose your job and your home and your familiar life.

But if you were in a foreign country and this happened to you, you might consider the future implications of absconding in a different light. You might consider going back to your country of origin, where presumably you have family and friends, and could find work, and have a home, and just get back into your old familiar life and just hope that nobody catches up with you or there is no deportation agreements. Or to a completely different country where you can start over.

Would not be surprised if he is busy, possibly in another country, that morning.

If it was me, I would be.

In the same situation, would YOU turn up to hand yourself in ?

In this situation, would you turn up at Mountjoy on 21st October ? 10 votes

Yes. I would do what the judge tells me.
    0% 0 votes
    No. I'll take a chance as I don't have as much to lose.
    100% 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

This scenario being in Ireland, would anyone check if he shows up?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I'd do the time, but then again I've never been to prison so it's probably a decision I'd immediately regret.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Reminds me of this scene from life of brian, the first response.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lN4TSslz-0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Perhaps the idea is that he will be in another country at that time, never to return and saving us the cost of putting him up for another 2 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,275 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If it wasn't my country of origin I'd be gone like a shot the moment they let me out of prison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'd do the time in Ireland as an Irish person, prison sounds like great craic, I can just get stuck into GTA V on the 42" TV in my cell.

If it was somewhere like peru and I knew I wouldn't get extradited back there I'd abscond in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,042 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

For all anyone knows he's already left the country, but if it's a case that he hasn't and wants to continue living here then he'd be as well off handing himself over. 2 years in Mountjoy would be a walk in the park compared to life back in Nigeria for many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

ScumLord wrote: »
    I'd do the time in Ireland as an Irish person, prison sounds like great craic, I can just get stuck into GTA V on the 42" TV in my cell.

If it was somewhere like peru and I knew I wouldn't get extradited back there I'd abscond in a heartbeat.

Yeah, Irish prison would be so much fun, sh1ting into a bucket in front of 3 lads called Damo sounds mighty craic altogether. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Seachmall wrote: »
    I'd do the time, but then again I've never been to prison so it's probably a decision I'd immediately regret.

You've never been?

Oh my god, you just haven't lived.

You simply most go. You simply must!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Going how this years flown by, id do the 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Lad Of Banter

do non nationals not get deported after serving prison sentences here?

Just doing some searches there for Nigerian prisons and noticed the official government site is blocked for users in Ireland

We've been blacklisted apparently :pac:

http://www.nigeria.gov.ng/index.php

Probably because of all those Irish princes offering free money

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Yeah, Irish prison would be so much fun, sh1ting into a bucket in front of 3 lads called Damo sounds mighty craic altogether. :pac:

Yeah but all the heroin takes the embarrassment out of that particular situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

do non nationals not get deported after serving prison sentences here?

What is a non national???:confused:
    Non EU nationals are almost always deported after serving a sentence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Yeah but all the heroin takes the embarrassment out of that particular situation

Heroin makes you unable to sh!t so you actually wouldn't need to go the whole time your in prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

tdv123 wrote: »
    Heroin makes you unable to sh!t so you actually wouldn't need to go the whole time your in prison.

thatsthejoke.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

This is what makes the Irish Judicial System such a joke.
    A man is sentenced to jail for 2 years with 1 suspended. He served a year and was then released.

However, the state appealed against his original sentence being too lenient.

A judge has ruled that the original sentence was too lenient, and has had his sentence increased to 5 years, with 2 suspended.

This means that he therefore "owes" another 2 years incarceration.

As far as I am concerned, he did his time and should remain a free man. Also this idea of 'five years with two suspended', just come out and say 'three years' Who the **** are they trying to kid ??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,209 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Goodbye Ireland, I wouldn't voluntarily go back to prison after already serving a sentence. I hear Brazil is good this time of year :D

This is what makes the Irish Judicial System such a joke.

As far as I am concerned, he did his time and should remain a free man. Also this idea of 'five years with two suspended', just come out and say 'three years' Who the **** are they trying to kid ??

The DPP has as much right to appeal sentences as prisoners themselves do. You can't really limit one from appealing and not the other.

Regarding suspended sentences, they happen all over the world. Having time suspended doesn't necessarily mean you're 'free' after release from prison.. you still have to abide by very strict stipulations and conditions until the full sentence is served.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I'd go for the third option of not sexually assaulting a sleeping woman on a bus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

I bet he goes back serves more time, appeals the decision to send him back after serving his original sentence, has it overruled and sues for wrongful imprisonment.

Advertisement