Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

any idea whats wrong

• 10-02-2012 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

my 02 seat leon 1.9tdi 110bhp
    is extreamly hard to start blows white smoke for a while and is quite dead as per normal would tis be dirty diesel or something else ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Migworks

Sounds like water vapour burning with the exhaust gases, this gives off the white cloud, unlike black smoke, which is oil mixing with the exhaust gases.

As the engine is also down on power, could be a head gasket leak causing this.

Best bet is to get her to either a good diesel mechanic (someone recommended to you) or sink your trust into a garage, again better if you know them or be introduced to them, though this still wont be a barrier against being ripped off.

Just as an aside, is there anyway a small amount of petrol was put in the tank? hope not.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

could be glow plugs, hard started white smoke is unburned fuel being expelled, or it could be head gasket gone blowing steam out the exaust

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

since posting earlyer i've been told it could be an air flow meter symtoms very similer :/ no chance petrol got in i put 10 euro of diesel in just hours befor this started :/ the car is hard started when warm so would that not rule the glow plugs out ?

YA THAT WOULD RULE OUT GLOW PLUGS.

and i spent three days arguing with my dad over a mysterious problem that stopped our old van dead, and what was the cause? He put a small amount of diesel in our petrol tank and that was that lol.

Air sensors can break down, although modern cars running ecu's usually have a default mode when a sensor goes, allowing you to continue driving (get you home mode). Not sure if it would cause the smoke? When you start her up (or him 8@) ) and its pumping out the white smoke, put your hand near the tailpipe, does it become very wet??? lot of moisture coming through is water getting into the exhaust system.

A well kitted out mechanic will have a pressure tester he can rig to the engine and it will show up any head gasket leaks.

Good luck fixing her (or him) :D

• Advertisement

Migworks wrote: »
    and i spent three days arguing with my dad over a mysterious problem that stopped our old van dead, and what was the cause? He put a small amount of diesel in our petrol tank and that was that lol.

Air sensors can break down, although modern cars running ecu's usually have a default mode when a sensor goes, allowing you to continue driving (get you home mode). Not sure if it would cause the smoke? When you start her up (or him 8@) ) and its pumping out the white smoke, put your hand near the tailpipe, does it become very wet??? lot of moisture coming through is water getting into the exhaust system.

A well kitted out mechanic will have a pressure tester he can rig to the engine and it will show up any head gasket leaks.

Good luck fixing her (or him) :D

im takeing HER to a machince friend tomorrow :) the white smoke is not moisture anyway but the head gasgate was done not so long about so that should be ruled out aswell ?
    a friend of mines mk4 golf went and it showed very similer symtoms dead hard to start and white smoke :/ btw i feel cars should always be her :P

well, the head gasket might of been done before, but unless the head was skimmed (adds to the cost so a lot will chance not doing it) it might be going again.

See how you go mate, hopefully your bud will identify the prob and its a quick cheap fix.

And cars will always be a SHE, mainly due to HER being very good at emptying our wallets!!!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭d o'c

whats the coolant level like.

if it is head/ head gasket symtoms again,
    get the head pressure tested.

if the car was badly overheated before (the previous HG), and the head gasket is gone again then change the head

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

is the tempature gauge inside working normally??

sean1141 wrote: »
    is the tempature gauge inside working normally??

no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

replace the coolant temp sensor, buy a genuine one, they are about 30 quid and easy enough to fit

sean1141 wrote: »
    replace the coolant temp sensor, buy a genuine one, they are about 30 quid and easy enough to fit

is this what it sounds to be ? id be elighted if its all that it is :/ im so worried i got dirty diesel and ****ed up my injecters

doubt if its that simple, white smoke when cranking is not good

• Registered Users Posts: 17 RoSparrow

tbh it sounds more like the turbo with the white smoke and down on power.
    Did u check the oil level id check that straight away

an update for everyone :P
    it was only dirty diesel :D filled it of clean white diesel and the mechaince put a bottle of stuff in it to clean my injecters within 3 miles everything was perfect again :) no smoke power back again and starts nb :) makes me want to name and shame the garage but don't know if its aloud on boards :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

fanadman1 wrote: »
    it was only dirty diesel :D filled it of clean white diesel and the mechaince put a bottle of stuff in it to clean my injecters within 3 miles everything was perfect again :) no smoke power back again and starts nb :) makes me want to name and shame the garage but don't know if its aloud on boards :P

Sweet you can get back to "sending her on" now :D

tossy wrote: »
    Sweet you can get back to "sending her on" now :D

another man would be thick :P i think its quite funny :P
    don't u worry i will "send her on " :P
    i would say no smoke no poke but shes runing clean as a whistle :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Sounds like water vapour burning with the exhaust gases, this gives off the white cloud, unlike black smoke, which is oil mixing with the exhaust gases.

Black smoke is not oil burning. Black is unburnt diesel, normally caused by a lack of air or excess of fuel

Oil burns blue.

White smoke was often attributed to timing issues.
    Not sure if it would cause the smoke? When you start her up (or him 8@) ) and its pumping out the white smoke, put your hand near the tailpipe, does it become very wet??? lot of moisture coming through is water getting into the exhaust system.
    HA HA HA. Jesus. :eek: *shakes head*
    RoSparrow wrote: »
    tbh it sounds more like the turbo with the white smoke and down on power.
    Did u check the oil level id check that straight away

Again, turbo will not cause white smoke.

This forum is supposed to be for people who have some sort of a clue, not for spurting out random thoughts that come into your head

/rant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Glad to hear she's motoring again. Them auld VAG 1.9 TDIs are hard to kill. :)

I'm puzzled as to what lead to the dirty diesel diagnosis. Was there excess water in the bottom of your fuel tank? If so why didn't the fuel filter catch it? Did he change the filter for you?

mathepac wrote: »
    Glad to hear she's motoring again. Them auld VAG 1.9 TDIs are hard to kill. :)

I'm puzzled as to what lead to the dirty diesel diagnosis. Was there excess water in the bottom of your fuel tank? If so why didn't the fuel filter catch it? Did he change the filter for you?
    naw never changed the filter he had none in :/ well i had thought about it being dirty diesel because i had only put 5 euro in at a pump befor this started and there was barly any left in the tank :/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

Slidey wrote: »

Again, turbo will not cause white smoke.

This forum is supposed to be for people who have some sort of a clue, not for spurting out random thoughts that come into your head

/rant

what if its water cooled and a seal is gone?

/rant[/Quote]

It is, I do!
    Was being general with the smoke issue regarding colour, no point being overly technical. Your right in that unburnt fuel gives off a darker smoke, burnt oil is more bluey, but was just giving the opposite of the white smoke. Alarm bells went off when it was mentioned that the head gasket was done recently, but thankfully it turned out to be something more simple (having the car in front of you does wonders for helping diagnosis).

I thought that Boards were a way of communicating with a broad spectrum of people on a multitude of issues and not just for an elite few who may or may not be in a particular trade. I accept that on certain issues proper correct info is required rather than guess work, but as I did not have the car in front of me, and was given only a few symptoms having an educated guess is all I could offer. I did point out that ultimately he should seek advice from a known trusted mechanic or visit a trusted garage.
    And that is the proper advice anyone can give in a matter like this.
    Now roll your eyes back down buddy and put yer wooden spoon away =0>

Rant over 2......

fanadman1 wrote: »

That's great news mate, chuffed it was a cheap fix in the end.

That's great news mate, chuffed it was a cheap fix in the end.

thanks im over the moon hi :) 5er for a bottle of stuff and 70 euro for a fill of diesel (whice was comeing anyway) :P when people started talking about turbos i was slightly worried :L but it still booed away so it essed my mind :L don't scare me like that again please :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 poodle Abbey

Hi Can you please let me know where the garage was as I have a major issue with my Van and dirty diesel.My email address is
    <snip>

Hi Can you please let me know where the garage was as I have a major issue with my Van and dirty diesel.My email address is
    <snip>

garage is just close personal friend and only does work for friends sorry :/
    get a jar of reddx diesel cleaner and it might help :/ unless u had alot and then u could be in trouble i only had 8 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

OP , glad you got it sorted quite easily in the end. Never drink the dregs of the keg, eh!

Slidey, in fairness to the suggestions on turbo issues, some of these earlier vintage TDI systems in Europe had adopted the Turbo Encabulator technology derived by Chrysler originally.
    In troubleshooting, it has fooled many's the experienced technician yet alone hurlers on the ditch.

For those not familiar, a short video outlines basic principles ......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXW0bx_Ooq4

All good in the end.

:)

OP , glad you got it sorted quite easily in the end. Never drink the dregs of the keg, eh!

Slidey, in fairness to the suggestions on turbo issues, some of these earlier vintage TDI systems in Europe had adopted the Turbo Encabulator technology derived by Chrysler originally.
    In troubleshooting, it has fooled many's the experienced technician yet alone hurlers on the ditch.

For those not familiar, a short video outlines basic principles ......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXW0bx_Ooq4

All good in the end.

:)

well do your best to avoid it anyway :L its not aways easy though :L

Advertisement