Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

After life?

• 05-04-2005 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭

Supposed kinda inspired by the recent passing of the Pope;
    Do you believe in an after life, what form does it take on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NeilJ

I believe that we're here to learn. About life, the universe and everything. When I die I believe I will go to a place of rest where I'll be able to reflect on the experiences I've had in this incarnation and also I'll be able to remember and reflect on all the experiences in my previous lives and look at how I've lived and learned in the bigger picture. I'll then be reborn. Where I'm reborn will be largely decided by the lessons which I still need to learn and I'll be reborn in a setting most likely to allow for the kind of experiences I'll need to live through. I also believe in karma, but not in the buddist sense. Rather I believe that karma effects us in our current lives ie. "what goes around comes around". When I've eventually lived and experienced enough to reach a state of enlightment where by I can longer gain wisdom from a material existence I believe I will no longer be reborn as a human. I do however think I'll continue to be reborn on the spiritual plane and this will continue until I reach ultimate enlightment. Don't know what happens then though!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I didn't use to believe in any type of after life, the last few years I've been thinking that maybe there is but I have trouble figuring out what it may be like. I think that's because so much of what we percieve as reality is based upon our physical senses, sight/sound/touch etc, none of which really apply once you're dead. That's kind of why I have trouble believing in ghosts and the like, altough I have heard it said that ghosts are spirits that have trouble letting go of the physical world.

I suppose what I believe is that what we think of as conciousness comes from a combination of some kind of sentient energy, which I would equate with the concepts of a spirit or soul, and our physical bodies. This sentient energy may be discrete and individual to each of us our it may be some universal/common thing which binds us all together as one. In the case of it being a discreet energy then it's possible the energy survives our bodies. In the case of it being universal/common then naturally it would continue after our deaths and possibly some pattern or changes made to it by us during our lives would continue on within it.

erm, what I'm trying to say really is that I don't know, haven't the faintest idea, but that's the only way I can see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

but you hit the nail on the head, why is it that we are conscious?
    No doubt science can tell us how our brain works etc, but why is it that a certain combination of elements results in life but others dont?
    How can we hope to understand death if we dont understand life...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

For a long time I didn't beleive in after life, until my son, who was five at the time convinced me otherwise. Although christened as a Catholic, I have an interest in spirituality, as well as theology, I tend to have a more new age aprroach to God, however again, although I christened my son (at the time in ignorance) I didn't really teach him much, we never went to mass, and I never discussed my own beliefs with him, so I was amazed when we were talking and he asked me what happens to us when we die. I said I don't know, although a lot of people believe that when we die we go to heaven, (which was and still is somewhat my belief), he said, and I quote 'I believe we die and then we come back into a new body, but sometimes as a different colour'. I was blown away by his statement, he was only five at the time, and then I thought maybe there is something in this reincarnation. Since then I have looked into it, and I genuinely believe we die, then become reborn to learn life lessons. I believe each time we move up a level, sometimes the going is slow, other times we supercede our expectations. There is a point where we reach enlightment, and become more energy rather than matter. I believe in essence we are energy, rather than matter, although our senses tell us we are matter, we feel hard to touch, our world around us mainly feels hard to touch, yet we are energy, one only has to look at the composition of a cell, a small amount of matter surrounded by space. Going back to my point though, when we become enlightened, I'm not sure what happens, maybe we become spirit guides, maybe something else. I really don't know, but its fun guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NeilJ

When I was a kid believed in reincarnation. Then as I got older and was brought up as a Christain I learned to believe in resurrection. Then when I embraced Paganism I went back to my original beliefs in reincarnation and when I talk to my Christain friends I find that a lot of them say that they either believe in reincarnation or at the very least did at some stage when they were younger.

Neil

• Advertisement

I do remember thinking about reincarnation when I was very young, I don't think I believed in it fully but it seemed to make a lot more sense then going to heaven (which is what we were learning about in school at the time). Thinking about it now I think that's probably when it first occured to me that there may not be a God, in Christian terms at least. Up untill then it was just something I'd been told was true and had accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Not convinced at all. I'm pretty firm in my belief that once the brain stops firing it's electrical impulses, we're gone.

Morbid maybe, but I find a real liberation in having accepted that what time I have, I have and it's over then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Copy and paste from a blog entry I made today. It seems perfectly relevent to this discussion though..

--

Many eastern philosophies seem to focus a lot of attention towards death and rebirth. This was highlighted for me again last night when a friend was describing a Dharma Buddha meeting he attended. Apparently much of what was discussed had to do with death and making necessary preparations for it in this life, with the belief that should certain goals be reached you shall achieve transcendence – and if not, you shall be ‘rebirthed’ in this world.

Now, while I don’t really have a problem with this belief, I think they’ve missed the point somewhat. Death is the one thing that each and every one of us will achieve without fail. It’s a global phenomenon and you’re going to get there eventually. Now, does it really seem logical to spend your entire life getting ready for the next? This seems like a pointless loop to me – when you get to the next life are you going to spend your time ‘getting ready’ for the end of that too?

I’m not sure where I picked up this next tidbit of wisdom, but I’m pretty sure I read it ‘somewhere’ (which is the best kind really.. allows me to build upon it without worrying about dogma). Basically ‘Death and Rebirth’ should not be taken to literally mean the end of life and the start of another. Every instant of everyday is death and rebirth - the end of one instance of existence and the start of another.

You should learn to live every moment as though it were both the first and last, taking nothing for granted and excepting (without compromise or anxiety) that everything you experience is transient.

The past is unique to each of us – unique experiences and unique interpretations of them – and is a culmination of all that you have learned. It’s single reason for being is so that you arrive in the Now. And here you are. The past has done its job.

The future is merely a Now that has not yet come into being. It’s impossible to know for sure what will happen when it does and by then you will be too busy worrying about the next future – again getting stuck in a pointless loop, constantly departing and never arriving.

Waking Life : “There's only one instant, and it's right now. And it's eternity.”

I quite like the idea that there is something more than what we see, hear and feel around us. Something more to experience once we shuffle off this mortal coil. But it’s something we’re all going to get to eventually and I don’t feel the need to dwell upon it – there’s plenty to be doing in this life as it is. Death is just another future Now and the only preparation necessary is to maintain a constant open-mind. It’s probably not what you expect.

Sleepy wrote:
    Not convinced at all. I'm pretty firm in my belief that once the brain stops firing it's electrical impulses, we're gone.

Morbid maybe, but I find a real liberation in having accepted that what time I have, I have and it's over then.
    But what Im wondering sleepy is, I know how my brain transmitts its thoughts, but how does it make them, why to I think?
    Smart answers on a postcard to...;)

What if there was a universal consciouness, something that surrounds us all and theres something in us that recieves this. Like, each of us are radios and we recieve a signal. If my radio stops working 2fm isnt gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

Sleepy wrote:
    Hi Sleepy,

I could recommend some practices to you if you would like to experience moving out of your body. This may prove to yourself that your consciousness is not limited to your brain.

Nick

• Advertisement

id be interested

Interested here also..
    MeatProduct, how about starting a thread on the subject? Post a few links, techniques, experiences, etcetera. I'm sure there are more than a few of us here that would be interested in reading / contributing to it.

id be interested
    I've sent a pm your way Captain Redeye.

Nick

Goodshape wrote:
    Interested here also..
    MeatProduct, how about starting a thread on the subject? Post a few links, techniques, experiences, etcetera. I'm sure there are more than a few of us here that would be interested in reading / contributing to it.
    Great, I'll do that Goodshape. I'm sure others will have much to add to my little amount of knowledge on the topic,

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

Anyone who believes in an after life is an idiot.

When you die, your brain stops working, and your existance will be exactly the same as it was before you were born. Thats the bottom line people, you can hope and wish all you like, its not going to change those cold hard facts.

bounty wrote:

When you die, your brain stops working, and your existance will be exactly the same as it was before you were born. Thats the bottom line people, you can hope and wish all you like, its not going to change those cold hard facts.

Fascinating. Care to back up those cold hard facts with some cold hard evidence?

bounty wrote:

The brain does indeed stop working. Does that mean that the consciousness cannot move from the brain after brain death has occured?

Nick

bounty wrote:

Perhaps you'd like to volunteer for a scientific experiment to backup your position ? If not you're just believing whatever you want to believe, same as we are.

You are possibly not aware of this but many of the most famous and prominent scientists believed in God and an after-life, would you call Albert Einstein an idiot ?

Sleepy wrote:

That's exactly what I used to believe, I too found it quite a nice way to feel. I know that some people believe in an after-life mainly because they want to and they can't handle the fact that they or there loved ones have/will cease to exist. I'm not really sure what my current belief (perhaps belief-in-progress) is based on, I suppose it's a lot of little things, but I try to second guess myself all the time and make sure I'm not just trying convince myself of something out of a desire for immortality or something. I'd much prefer to be proved wrong than to delude myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

stevenmu wrote:
    Perhaps you'd like to volunteer for a scientific experiment to backup your position ? If not you're just believing whatever you want to believe, same as we are.

You are possibly not aware of this but many of the most famous and prominent scientists believed in God and an after-life, would you call Albert Einstein an idiot ?

Not to re-open an already re-opened issue :) but how can you believe in God when there is zero proof?
    M

• Advertisement

stevenmu -
    Sounds similar to my own ideas as well. The idea that there is absolutely nothing after death I find very reassuring. It leaves nothing to look forward to, but also nothing to fear, worry or even think about.

I believed that I think as a rebellion against the Catholic dogma - and I certainly wasn't presented with any other possibilities by 'religious' teachers at the time. But growing up and moving on I realised that there are actually a lot of different and far more reasonable and even plausible ideas as to what could happen after this life.

The only thing I truly believe at the moment is that I don't have the answers - and probably won't until I gain some first hand experience (ie. death). As I said above there's no point in dwelling upon it really.. we'll all be dead eventually and it will either be nothing, in which case any kind of shock, horror or disappointment will be impossible, or it will be 'something' - which, if you are willing - will no doubt be the most amazing thing you've ever experienced.

I personally don't believe in a "God" as such, especially not one like Christianity/Islam/Similar. I base my beliefs (altough they're probably better describe as thoughts,ideas or suspicions) on things that I've heard or read which just seem right, and on personal experiences. As such I can't really prove to anyone else I'm right or even on the right track. I haven't discounted the possibility I was or am dillusional :) I try to be as open to the possibility that I'm completly wrong as I am to the possibility that I'm right, in fact I'm pretty sure I'm not completly right just hopefully going in the right direction.

Keep in mind that there was no proof that the earth was round until somebody actually went and actually proved it.

mathie wrote:
    Not to re-open an already re-opened issue :) but how can you believe in God when there is zero proof?
    M

First of all you have to work out what you mean when you say 'God'. Many people think very differently about this.

There's a lengthy and ongoing discussion about this very topic over on the the Philosophy forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

Goodshape wrote:
    First of all you have to work out what you mean when you say 'God'. Many people think very differently about this.

There's a lengthy and ongoing discussion about on this very topic over on the the Philosophy forum.

Cheers!

Goodshape wrote:
    The only thing I truly believe at the moment is that I don't have the answers - and probably won't until I gain some first hand experience (ie. death). As I said above there's no point in dwelling upon it really.. we'll all be dead eventually and it will either be nothing, in which case any kind of shock, horror or disappointment will be impossible, or it will be 'something' - which, if you are willing - will no doubt be the most amazing thing you've ever experienced.
    Exactly, I've always loved puzzles and mysteries, and this is easily the best out of all of them. I'd love to be able to figure it out but even if I can't I'll still enjoy trying to. Maybe we're better off not knowing for sure, it'd spoil the surprise at the end :)

Incidentally I've died a few times in dreams and found it to be a very realxing experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭transperson

i am a falling droplet

i will return to the ocean

i will disperse and evaporate

then i will become a droplet once again

this general type of idea appeals to me, hindu Atman and Brahman, platonic soul and great soul, the return of the energy that makes me back into the system that made me, it crops up in loads of different worldveiws.

there is no real after life more a continuous process of existence, the only change is in form.

Kind of like the Gaia and Akashic (sp?) Records ideas. I've never heard it expressed like that though, which is odd because it seems so obvious now that I've read it.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I dont believe in an afterlife ;) I believe this is a 'prelife' and what we go on to is the real deal. We come here to be mortal and experience pain and pleasure and emotion and learn from that. Every life lived has a lesson, be it a child who lives for a moment, or a serial killer who destroys the lives of others. Sometimes we teach others sometimes the lesson is ours. Death is not the end, its going home. At a funeral I feel sad for myself, not the person who has died, I think its a joyful experience for them.

I think the 'other side' is a place where we are free from the physical, we loose our obsession with possessing and can live and commune on a higher level I cant begin to understand, being flesh and blood right now :D. It is a place beyond our tiny minds or scientific ideas, which is only explained to us through metaphors (this can be when we meditate). Maybe religion is based on such metaphors, which is why we have such rigid things as heaven and hell and purgatory :D

i am a falling droplet

i will return to the ocean

i will disperse and evaporate

then i will become a droplet once again

this general type of idea appeals to me, hindu Atman and Brahman, platonic soul and great soul, the return of the energy that makes me back into the system that made me, it crops up in loads of different worldveiws.

there is no real after life more a continuous process of existence, the only change is in form.
    Thats so sublimly simple.
    Ive never heard reincarnation expressed so well and so natural

• Advertisement

KatieK wrote:
    I dont believe in an afterlife ;) I believe this is a 'prelife' and what we go on to is the real deal. We come here to be mortal and experience pain and pleasure and emotion and learn from that. Every life lived has a lesson, be it a child who lives for a moment, or a serial killer who destroys the lives of others. Sometimes we teach others sometimes the lesson is ours. Death is not the end, its going home. At a funeral I feel sad for myself, not the person who has died, I think its a joyful experience for them.

I think the 'other side' is a place where we are free from the physical, we loose our obsession with possessing and can live and commune on a higher level I cant begin to understand, being flesh and blood right now :D. It is a place beyond our tiny minds or scientific ideas, which is only explained to us through metaphors (this can be when we meditate). Maybe religion is based on such metaphors, which is why we have such rigid things as heaven and hell and purgatory :D
    Do you think that we retain much about ourselves when we cross over, such as our personalities and memories ? How do you think we would then view the physical existence we have now, would we be very aware of it ? Would we view it at distinct points in space and time or just be kind of aware of it all at once ? (i.e. would a spirit 'looking down' be 'seeing' you as you are right now or would they be 'seeing' everyone and everything at all times, kind of omnipotent)

Sorry, I realise they're tricky questions, but from your previous posts I'd be really interested to hear what you think, feel free not to answer if you'd prefer.

Advertisement