Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Litter SWAT Teams !

• 25-10-2011 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭

Has anyone seen the litter SWAT teams around town this morning, there must be 30 or 40 of them scattered all over the city picking up papers etc, great to see !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Have not seen them, but it is a great idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

THAT'S what that was as i was coming down henry street! five of them in visi-vests, i counted as i thought it was a case of the council being unusually conscientious! i knew it wouldn't be the police looking for evidence as they weren't wearing the white oompa loompa outfits, but that's what it looked like- combing the footpaths for "evidence"! and even more embarrassingly, there was enough litter on the street to keep all five of them busy! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Sounds much more exciting when the term SWAT is used.....then you read on for a description.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭phill106

special weapons and tactics......

ok....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭phog

It's a real pity that people cant actually put their own litter in the bins.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

phill106 wrote: »
    special weapons and tactics......

ok....

More like Sweeping Washing And Tidy-up

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

phog wrote: »
    It's a real pity that people cant actually put their own litter in the bins.

My thoughts exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

1175441697.jpg
    ‘Love Limerick Don’t Litter’

Clean-up operation takes place in city centre (Limerick Leader)

VOLUNTEERS from across the city braved the weather this week to assist the Environment Department of Limerick City Council in a ‘deep clean’ of the city centre ahead of the bank holiday weekend.

City council staff, volunteers and representatives of local businesses were invited to take part in the clean-up operation, which also marked the launch of a new leaflet, ‘Working Together to Keep Limerick Clean’.

The new leaflet outlines the ongoing work the City Council undertakes to keep the control litter in the city and includes a section on what businesses can do to help.

A large crowd of volunteers turned out to help the clean-up operation, as well as the colourful ‘street litter’ characters, who were on hand to promote the ‘Love Limerick Don’t Litter’ message and entertain city centre shoppers.

Many of the volunteers were from groups that participated in the Limerick City 50K Community Challenge, which was supported by the JP McManus Foundation and the Limerick Leader.

Mayor Cllr Jim Long was there to help promote the “simple but key message” to ‘Love Limerick Don’t Litter’.

“Every man, woman and child needs to help to keep Limerick clean,” said the mayor. “Thank you to all the volunteers and community workers for their support of this initiative.”

Limerick Chamber president, Kieran MacSweeney, said he was “delighted to be associated with this initiative and I encourage all businesses in the city to join-in and help with this deep clean and presenting Limerick city in the best possible light. Let’s make it a clean sweep together”.

City council are keen to achieve ‘clean to European norms’ in the next set of IBAL litter league results, due in January of next year.

Get out every Saturday morning and give the front of one’s own house a good sweep with a yard brush.

Then Limerick City would be clean to JP’s Swiss standards!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Would be nice if they would actually install a few more bins if you ask me, there is none on the same side of parnell street except outside the train station which is ridiculous, there are some on the opposite side alrite but thats not good enough in my opinion and Parnell Street aint the only place which could do with a few more bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭source

There should be a bin on every corner of every block. Although the slobs in this city will still have to figure out how to use the bloody things.

• Advertisement

source wrote: »
    There should be a bin on every corner of every block. Although the slobs in this city will still have to figure out how to use the bloody things.

Totally agree with you 100% on this, last year when I visited Estonia there was a bin on every single Esb pole and Street corner and you got 10cents for each bottle when you brought it back...the result was not one piece of rubbish for miles beleive me I actually went out of my way to find some and couldnt a credit to the people there and a shame on the lazy people living here ..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

You wont find any bins in the UK as they employ street sweepers and plus the fact bins are a target for insane people to plant bombs in.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭whistlingtitan

Mc Love wrote: »
    You wont find any bins in the UK as they employ street sweepers and plus the fact bins are a target for insane people to plant bombs in.
    Fair play to them getting out there and doing it just a pity others have such a disregard for where we live

steveon wrote: »
    last year when I visited Estonia . . . . and you got 10 cents for each bottle when you brought it back...the result was not one piece of rubbish for miles . . . .

Spot on!

Having a national system in place where all beverages sold in Ireland carry a refundable deposit is a very effective “carrot” for people not to literally throw money away.

Plastic bottles and cans carry a 25 cent deposit in Germany. I’ve even seen kids collecting them, if they had to good fortune to find them.

Spot on!

Having a national system in place where all beverages sold in Ireland carry a refundable deposit is a very effective “carrot” for people not to literally throw money away.

Plastic bottles and cans carry a 25 cent deposit in Germany. I’ve even seen kids collecting them, if they had to good fortune to find them.

I personally think it was a brilliant idea, I for one am sick of picking cans and bottles from outside my door and bringing them to the bottlebanks which are always packed, it would be a great way of cleaning the streets and even help a few hard up people who could collect them around the tourists spots which is exactly what was happening in Estonia...

Litter SWAT team combatting grime.

Pictures from Southill Development Co-Op.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭kenoconnell

Get out every Saturday morning and give the front of one’s own house a good sweep with a yard brush.

Then Limerick City would be clean to JP’s Swiss standards!

Who's that devilishly handsome chap with the shaved head by the cigarette butt!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭kenoconnell

steveon wrote: »
    Would be nice if they would actually install a few more bins if you ask me, there is none on the same side of parnell street except outside the train station which is ridiculous, there are some on the opposite side alrite but thats not good enough in my opinion and Parnell Street aint the only place which could do with a few more bins.

The last time we got the council, (who did it no problem and always support and help us in any initiatives we do) to install bins in our area one of the shops opposite it got her son to BURN IT OUT!!!!!! Said they didn't want it near there shop...... Fire brigade had to be called and put it out....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Who's that devilishly handsome chap with the shaved head by the cigarette butt!!!

He is just there to make the guys in the front row appear better looking than they are.:D

1175441697.jpg

Hmmm . . . why would one ridicule somebody for doing his bit to improve the city centre or is he well known to the forum?

The last time we got the council, (who did it no problem and always support and help us in any initiatives we do) to install bins in our area one of the shops opposite it got her son to BURN IT OUT!!!!!! Said they didn't want it near there shop...... Fire brigade had to be called and put it out....

She must be a right nut case but still it sounds like as if the other bins got a better local acceptance in your area.

Seriously, I was really impressed to see the city centre and its suburbs looking super clean this summer.

This year’s city councils community challenge, the JP factor and the great local effort involved has paid off positively.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Hmmm . . . why would one ridicule somebody for doing his bit to improve the city centre or is he well known to the forum?

Calm down there, B. I'm pretty sure that's Ken himself in the photo! :)

Calm down there, B. I'm pretty sure that's Ken himself in the photo! :)

Sorry, I did not intend to use such a large font size to get my point across.

I’m still grappling with the workings of the formatting editor.

In hindsight, I should have not posted these photographs of Limerick Volunteers here. :(

Would you please remove them from this thread.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Sorry, I did not intend to use such a large font size to get my point across.

I’m still grappling with the workings of the formatting editor.

No worries. :) Strange things happen sometimes when people copy and paste things in from MS Word/Open Office/Notepad.
    In hindsight, I should have not posted these photographs of Limerick Volunteers here. :(

Would you please remove them from this thread.

Did that for you there.

CIMG0270.JPG

University of Limerick National Spring Clean-Green Campus 2011

UL Green Campus removing litter along the banks of the River Shannon. (Images 1, 2, 3)

UL Kayak Club removing litter from the River Shannon. (Images 1, 2, 3)

I see that there were other Litter SWAT Teams active earlier on in the year.

When looking back over the last year or two, could one say that Limerick City is getting cleaner?

I personally think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

What complete and utter rubbish. Sorry I couldn't help myself :o

This week’s Limerick Post has a nice write up on the residents of Abbeylock in Corbally.

Their estate had become run down due to the fact that the developer after 18 years had still not got his affairs sorted out with the City Council.

So one resident in particular, took the Limerick Civic Trust’s motto to heart i.e. Improvement of our Environment through Positive Action.

See attachment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

To be honest when I lived in the estate I grew up in, there was a residents association (and very active) and there was a lawnmower/ladder purchased for use by residents. Maybe we have grown to expect too much from society/builders etc during the Celtic tiger era.

Do people not have residents associations anymore?

Limerick drops to 44th litter league (Limerick Leader)

By Nick Rabbitts

A MAJOR new survey has found Limerick is the most littered of all cities outside Dublin.

The twice-yearly IBAL ‘anti-litter’ league ranks Limerick as 44th out of 53 Irish towns and cities surveyed - with the area now ‘moderately littered’.

The news represents a blow to the city, after it was regarded as being ‘clean to European norms’ in both surveys last year.

Mayor Jim Long has said he is “totally dismissive” to the report, which is compiled by the Irish Business Against Litter (IBAL) alliance of companies in conjunction with environmental body An Taisce.

The An Taisce report for Limerick City stated: “Not as good as last year. It is disappointing. But hopefully it will target a better result next year. It is important for Limerick, an historic city that it is perceived to be clean, in European terms.”

An Taisce inspectors pay visits to Limerick with no notice to the City Council, and they survey major streets across the city, including William Street, O’Connell Street, Catherine Street, Roches Street and Sarsfield Street.

According to their findings, only nine areas are considered worse than Limerick in the anti-litter league, including the Dublin suburbs of Tallaght, the north inner city and the airport area.

Last year, Limerick City Council spent almost €3.6m on street cleaning, and €800,000 on litter management, which includes control initiatives and environmental awareness services
    That’s a real big disappointment especially after great initiatives to combat litter had taken place. :(

Respect!

60+ bags of rubbish collected along the riverbank / canal last Sunday.

This volunteer work is very uplifting to see.

No point waiting on the City Council or Waterways Ireland to get the job done.

See their photo album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Mc Love wrote: »

You will find bins in streets in the UK. I think the only places there aren't bins are Tube stations and a lot of mainline rail stations.

Advertisement