Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Les Mis film adaptation

• 17-08-2012 9:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭

So, it's nearly upon us - five months to go. I know I'm going to hate it already - Anne Hathaway CAN'T SING. Check out the trailer to hear her butchering "I Dreamed a Dream". But I know I'll go and see it regardless. Hugh jackman should be excellent as Jean Valjean. Have no idea whether Russell Crowe has a note in his head or not.

Cast list for anyone not familiar with it:

Jean Valjean - Hugh Jackman
    Fantine - Anne Hathawy
    Cosette - Amanda Seyfried
    Javert - Russell Crowe
    Eponine - Samantha Barks
    Marius - Eddie Redmayne
    Thenardier - Sacha Baron-Cohen
    Madame Thenardier - Helena Bonham Carter
    Enjolras - Aaron Tveit

And Colm Wilkinson makes a little cameo as the Bishop of Digne :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

I used to really look forward to films of musicals, but not so much any more. Still, I hope it is ok and I am looking forward to it. Hugh Jackman should be good at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭xxmeabhxx

I really wish they hired more decent singers fro this :( Les mis is all about the music and judging from the trailer the music is seriously going to suffer in quality because of the cast. Anne Hathaway can't sing and I hate that loads of the people commenting on the video think she's great just because she's using a load of vibrato. It just doesn't compare to Ruthie Henshall or Patti LuPone. On the plus side, The Thenardiers should be great :) I've been ranting and raving about this since I've seen the trailer but I'm still curious to see it when it comes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I saw Daphne Rubin Vega as Fantine on Broadway. The entire time she was on stage my mind kept saying "die b*tch, die" - she's a pretty annoying character anyway, for someone who's supposed to be sad. I Dreamed a Dream should not really be a pretty song though in recordings it is. Give Anne Hathaway a chance, to be honest I'd rather a better actress than a better singer in the role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

athtrasna wrote: »
    To be honest I'd rather a better actress than a better singer in the role.

But there are thousands of women out there who can do both. I think that's the frustration most people feel about this kind of casting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 LanceStrong

A movie based on a musical based on a movie based on a book?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Is the musical based on a movie? I assumed it was based directly on the book.

cailinoBAC wrote: »
    Is the musical based on a movie? I assumed it was based directly on the book.

It is. Cameron Mackintosh actually thanked Victor Hugo for being out of copyright at the end of "Hey Mr. Producer".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I'm totally going to see this :)

I think everyone's being a bit harsh on Anne Hathaway. Alright, she's not the best from what we've seen in the trailer, but I've heard her sing before and she definitely can sing! I'm waiting to hear more of her in the movie before I make a judgement.

If anything, I'm worried about Amanda Seyfried. She can certainly sing but her voice grates on me! It's so high and whiny!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I'm looking forward to this too... I've never seen les mis, so it's definitely better than nothing for me!

(And Hugh Jackman! Yes yes...)

Alicat wrote: »
    She can certainly sing but her voice grates on me! It's so high and whiny!

Perfect for Cosette, so!

Mst pain-in-the-arsey musical character ever, imo :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 catgirl2012

looking forward to this!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭aoifeisabelle

This should be excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jeanadamz

I bet I would like to see this. A powerful casting and a true classical story. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Looks amazing. This should do really well at the Oscars. Hathaway has that Oscar for Supporting pretty much in the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Evenstevens

I can't wait to see this. If you've seen the DVD of Hugh Jackman in Oklahoma you'll see how great he is. He is just one of those exceptional all round performers.
    Afraid to see Russell Crowe sing Stars though I love to watch him act. I love Phillip Quast's version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Clips have come out on Youtube, and I swear to god, Russell Crowe sounds exactly like Pierce Brosnan in Mamma Mia! It's atrocious! From the sound of the clips also, the orchestra is very low. They're trying to make it more realistic it seems, but with the power of the music gone I'm afraid the songs will suffer for it. :(

First reviews not looking too bad. The film is 160mns long and we're seeing 1 or 2min clips so I think it's hard to judge. RC is not a great singer at all which is a shame because Stars is such a beautiful song but the rest of them seem to be getting really good reviews on the singing front. I'm going to reserve judgement.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/reviews/first-night-review-les-misrables-directed-by-tom-hooper-and-starring-anne-hathaway-8390395.html

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

Reviews seem mixed, I've read a few ones that trashed it, and a few that thought it was incredible.

Now I'm a person that likes his orchestra loud in the theatre anyway, so I'm maybe overly sensitive, but it sounds very quiet in the advert mix anyway, like regular background music. For me, the orchestrations (particularly the strings) are part of what makes Les Mis so good as a piece of music. It seems a shame to make it really low to make the film a bit more realistic and gritty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Very much looking forward to this. Hopefully it won't be disappointing. If its on par with the
    Phantom of the Opera movie I'll be satisfied enough.
    woodchuck wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to this too... I've never seen les mis, so it's definitely better than nothing for me.

(And Hugh Jackman! Yes yes...)

On a side note id have a read up about the story line and charachters if its your first time seeing it as I don't think its an easy one to understand if you know nothing about it. Heck
    I was in a production of it and didnt really know what was going on until I got really into it
    long after the production was over.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

On a side note id have a read up about the story line and charachters if its your first time seeing it as I don't think its an easy one to understand if you know nothing about it. Heck
    I was in a production of it and didnt really know what was going on until I got really into it
    long after the production was over.

Thanks for the tip :) I have the book downloaded, but I'm not sure I'll have it read before I see it. Or is the musical very different to the book anyway?

Maybe a synopsis will have to do :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I'd say there's a decent amount of difference between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

I love the show and adore the music, but I'm really not looking forward to the movie I have to admit. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised when I do eventually see it.

woodchuck wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip :) I have the book downloaded, but I'm not sure I'll have it read before I see it. Or is the musical very different to the book anyway?

Maybe a synopsis will have to do :P

The book is very, very hard going. I wouldn't bother, tbh.

2 days to go...! :D

Going on Sunday, can't wait.

Seriously, somewhere should do a sing-along screening of this for losers like me. They'd make a killing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Will go and see it simply because I love the show, and am in it atm too.

Honey-ec wrote: »

Seriously, somewhere should do a sing-along screening of this for losers like me. They'd make a killing...

Amen to that. I'd be there. Tickets booked. Raring to go now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Going tonight cant wait, been waiting a long time hopefully patience is rewarded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Honey-ec wrote: »

Snap ^^^
    I was going to go by myself today-4pm showing -I reckoned there'd be nobody there but me and my vocal chords.

Damn,but had to work late and now I'll have to share cinema with others tomorrow:mad:

Advertisement