Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

semper currere

• 22-02-2012 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've been lurking on A/R/T forums for the last two and a half weeks, as I've resolved to shift the last couple of stone off my frame, and attain a decent level of fitness in the process. I'm 34 years old, and weigh 201 lbs, the excess of which is mostly around my belly and chest - I have shifted around 44lbs slowly over the last six years, through better eating habits. I play 6-a-side soccer once or twice a week, and walk 2k to work and back every morning. While browsing over the forums I came across several threads on the C25K, which I immediately resolved to do. But in my initial run, I ended up doing the 5k in 30 mins, which was a real surprise. I always hated running before, and found it extremely difficult mentally, even when training for teams as a younger man. So after running three 5ks last week and a 5k and a 6k this week, despite a huge hike up Carrauntoohil on Sunday, I think I'm ready to actually apply myself to a program. It was so nice to run 6k tonight, and feel my legs actually loosen up and enjoy it in parts.

Anyway, from what I can gather, the trick is to get miles and distance into your legs, and not worry too much about pace. I'm going to follow Hal Higdon's novice program for the 10 mile/15k, repeating weeks if required, and I'm going to jump in at week 2 next week, keeping this week and last week as trial runs. I think my goal is to reach the distance milestones first, before worrying about speed. If my legs or joints start to complain, then I'll take it down a notch. TBH, I'd be perfectly happy to run 5k every day for the rest of my life, but I'm interested to see what my body can do, even at this stage.

So here I go, armed with mittens, an iPhone for GPS data, an MP3 player with offensively aggressive out-of-date metal and some manky training gear. Any advice/support/chastisement would be gratefully appreciated!

Goals are to run a race in May (5k or 10k), to lose a pound every 1-2 weeks, to be healthy and to live forever, and to run until I can't run any more. Despite what I've read online, I'll be keeping on soccer as a cross training night, because I love it so much, and I could never do without it. I'll also continue to fit in 2-3 basic 30 min weight sessions throughout the week.

Tue 21/2/2012
    3 sets of 15 reps of various dumbbell exercises.
    Evening road run: 5.05 km, @ 6'08"/km

Felt good, loosened out my legs. It was a bit windy and wet, and I found I was trying to run faster automatically sometimes. I tried keep it controlled around the 6'10" mark, and was happy enough to just get another 5k under my belt.

Wed 22/2/2012 (Gym)
    6km in 35'58" on treadmill
    5km in 12'23" on bike
    2.5km @ 9kph on treadmill.

I go to the gym once a week to accompany my girlfriend so that she'll go. Felt great to do 6km, I could have kept plodding on at that pace for another 1km, but I'm trying not to do too much, too soon. The bike was just to keep moving, and kill some time. When I got off that, I felt like doing a little more jogging, so I did another 2.5km (ignoring my previously sensible attitude). Feel great tonight though, spent extra time stretching out my legs, and hopefully I'll be fit and able tomorrow! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

Best of luck Scriba, it should be no problem for you to meet your goals

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Sound, Larman! I just hope this isn't the honeymoon period... :)

Today will be a day of rest, towards a light run tomorrow and a longer run on Sunday. Played football last night, and found my legs heavy after Tuesday and Wednesday's activities. Blowing hard at the end of it, but I think I put in a fair effort. It'll be interesting to see how the next few weeks go. Looking forward to the weekend, it'll probably be treadmill running on Saturday, and the great outdoors on Sunday. :)

Thurs 23/2/2012 (Ball)
    1 hour

Fri 24/2/2012 (Rest)
    1st weekly weigh in: 199.3 lbs.

Back from the gym, started with a 6km run on the treadmill, did 400m at 9kph, then up to 5k at 10.5kph, 5k-5.6k at 11kph, and the last 400m at 12kph. I was sweaty but also felt that I could have given much more in terms of distance. I feel ready to take on longer distances now. I then did 25 mins on the bike covering 12k to finish up.

I think I'll try one of those 'long' slow runs tomorrow, another 6km at least anyway, on the roads. Looking forward to it. :)

Sat 25/2 Gym
    Treadmill 6km, 34'25", under 6' per km, hurray!
    Bike 12km in 25'.

Sun 26/2/2012 Run

6.82km in 39'18", 5'46"/km, with a bit of a hill at the end.

It's fascinating how the body can flit between feeling heavy and light in the space of a few steps. I must have been on my seventh wind by the time I was hitting the last 500m. Funny too how the presence of people makes you pick up the pace a little too.

Very happy to get a longer run in, happier too to be running outdoors at well under 6' per km. I need to get more control though, I started off way too quick and found it very difficult to slow my pace to a steady one for the start. Regardless, I think I'm set to start Higdon novice 15k training next week.

I've seen other people keep track of their run distances and days running, so I'm going to borrow their idea and do it here. Yoink!

Week | Sessions | Distance | (Treadmill)
    Feb 20th-26th | 4 | 26.3 km | 13.5 km

• Advertisement

Mon 27/2/2012 Treadmill

10.0 km in 56'03"; avg 5'36"/km, varied pace between 10.5kph and 13kph.

I meant to take this day as a rest day, but decided to go to the gym with my partner instead, since she was keen to go. Originally meant to do 7km on the treadmill, but was feeling good around 6.5km and decided to extend it to 8km. Reaching 8km, I was still feeling good, albeit sweaty and breathing heavier, so I went for it. Felt great to hit the 10km, albeit I know it'll be a good bit tougher outdoors.

Finished up with 7km on the bike in 20 mins, more to get my ass used to sitting on a saddle again.

Tomorrow will be weights and stretching I think, and I've a run planned with a friend for Wednesday. So far so good. So glad I decided to start this, it's hard to believe its only my fourth week. Running is amazing, it's like every distance you run opens a door to a further distance. Long may it continue!

Too busy with work to do anything today, except enter in my first race! I'm going to tackle the 10 mile Great Island Run in Cobh on April 15th.

I'm currently following the Hal Higdon novice 2 half-marathon training schedule, which calls for a 10 mile long run that very day. If I'm tired, i'll treat it as a slightly quicker LSR, if I feel good I'll try do it at calculated race pace. I'll try find a 10k a few weeks beforehand just to get the feel of racing too.

I feel much more solid about this now that there's a target. Should be motivating too when the runs start to get longer. :eek:

5k run (at race pace) and some weights tomorrow, huzzah!

The plan tonight was to do a medium length slow run with a friend, but to run at a quick pace (at least for me) to and from his place. Hence the overall distance was split into three runs, with half a minute to a minute's arseing around between each run. The middle run was especially slow, due to my friend's relative lack of fitness, but to be fair to him, he kept going, and he'll be much better for it next time. It was nice to have some company too, really helped the time pass.

Distance | Duration | Pace
    2.63km | 14'22" | 5'28"/km
    7.84km | 54'46" | 6'59"/km
    2.63km | 14'06" | 5'22"/km

While not exactly ground breaking stuff, the positives were that I felt I could have run on another few km if I had to. I'm going to try aim for 5'15-5'20/km for my race times when I do my first 'quick' 5k next week. Running with someone else who was traditionally fitter than me also gave me confidence in my own levels of fitness which felt good. Finally, it's another 13km deposited in my leg bank :)

I've football tomorrow night, and I'll try fit in some sets of dumbbell exercises sometime tomorrow afternoon. Otherwise, I'll be keeping it very handy. Plan for the rest of the week is a run on Friday and on Sunday, but I might keep them to 5k, and maybe try one of them at 5'20-5'30. I'll probably be able to do it, but it'll cross an important psychological hurdle when I do it.

Once again, the hardest kilometres of the entire night were the first 2km. Opening my lungs was like sliding the lid off a tomb sealed for millennia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Scriba good work. Why don't you have a look at this log a group of us who finished the marathon last year follow a weekly training programme set out be Ecoli which is posted every Monday might be able to give you a few tips. Most of us are either training for 10k or half marthons its a good read.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056440724.

Good luck and keep up the good work

Scriba good work. Why don't you have a look at this log a group of us who finished the marathon last year follow a weekly training programme set out be Ecoli which is posted every Monday might be able to give you a few tips. Most of us are either training for 10k or half marthons its a good read.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056440724.

Good luck and keep up the good work

Thanks for that Red face Dave, and for the wishes. I'm only now getting around the wealth of information and threads on A/R/T, it's a great forum! I'll plow through that thread on my lunchbreak. :)

• Advertisement

Sun 04/2/2012 Run

7.49km in 48'54", 6'32"/km.

Friday was hectic with a birthday and work, and Saturday found me up in the midlands for the day, so today was my first exercise since Thursday's football. This was another social run with a friend, fit in before the rugby game this afternoon in some glorious Cork sunshine. Slow enough pace, but fit in some nice hilly terrain in that run too, the only time I was breathing anyway hard. Hoping to do some intervals either tomorrow or Tuesday, and step things up. I'm also going to start following the DCM Class 2011 thread. :)

Week | Sessions | Distance | (Treadmill)
    Feb 27th-Mar 4th | 3 | 30.5 km | 10.0 km

Mon 5/2/2012 Run

10.31km in 57'30", 5'35"/km (climb of 115 m involved)

Ok, it's finally sunk in. Slow down to do more. I wanted one more test at what I would consider close to my best effort in a training setting, so I decided to do 10k and try keep it to 5'30"/km (no giggling!). I picked a route with a mixture of inclines, and set off at what I thought was a reasonable pace. The difference between this run and other runs was that I didn't settle into a steady breathing rhythm after 2k (I always find the first two hard on the lungs, unless the pace is very slow), and it was a fight for much of the race. Lots of positives, I got to test my resolve, I tried push it up hills when my legs said no, another 10km in the bank, and a healthy dose of realism (follow a program properly for proper results!). I was glad when I reached 10k and with only a third of a kilometre to go to reach home. This tells me I need lots of long slow distance work if I want to survive 10 miles at something like this pace.

I've a similar distance planned for a 6'30"/km run on Wednesday. Tuesday, I might do 5k with some intervals if I make it to the gym that evening.

Week (3) | Sessions | Distance | (Treadmill)
    Mar 5th-11th | 1 | 10.31 km | 0.0 km

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Good stuff welcome to the team:D. We are a very friendly team over at DCM Class 2011 thread.

Its great each week we get new training schedule. Hopefully it will bring some of us to the marathon in October

Wed 7/3/2012

8.28km in 45'40", 5'31"/km (climb of 57 m involved).

After Monday's dose of realism, I decided to follow Ecoli's schedule for the week on the DCM class of 2011 thread, albeit juggling the order to fit my own life schedule.
    ecoli wrote: »
    |Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|4m|1 mile easy, 6x600m (.37 on Garmin) @ 10k pace with 2 min recovery between reps , 1 mile easy|4m|rest|1mile easy, 8x1 min hills 1 mile easy|90 min easy

The plan for today thus included 6x600 intervals at 10k pace. I was a little apprehensive about the intervals, since I haven't done them before. But it went pretty well. I was hoping to manage 6 intervals at around 5'/km pace, which is my target pace for 10k. To recover from each interval, I jogged along somewhere between easy and recovery pace. Interval results:

|Interval|1|2|3|4|5|6|
    |Pace/km|4'48"|4'32"|4'39"|4'35"|4'44"|4'32"

I honestly thought I wouldn't be able to do the six after completing the third interval, but a handy second wind carried me over. Very pleased with the work out, and I had just enough in the tank to run home at around 5'45"/km pace.

Mar 5th-11th | 2 | 18.59 km | 0.0 km

Plan for the rest of the week, I have football tomorrow night, I'll do the 4 mile on Friday, the LSR on Saturday morning. I'm hopefully going hillwalking on Sunday, so I'll try do some hill repeats while on that!

Loving the running so far, only downside is that I don't seem to have shifted any weight since I started running. But on the plus side, I feel better, and I think I look better, so maybe it'll just take a little bit of time to kick in.

Hmm. Barely worth an update. Took a couple of knocks at football on Thursday night, leaving me with a sore right knee and dead leg symptoms on my left quad. Walking the 2k to work this morning was agony, but the more I moved it today, the looser it seemed to get. I decided not to run this evening, so the plan is to get up early tomorrow morning and do 12-13 km of an LSR, and hope that it holds up. At least that will get me to 32km/20 miles for the week, along with a hillwalk on Sunday. Stupid legs.

Sat 10/3/2012

13.65km in 1:19:27, 5'49"/km (climb of 113m involved).

Did this a little quicker than I meant to, I think I need to do the longer runs with a partner, just to keep it at slower pace through conversation. No real problems though. My calf muscles didn't get stiff, for the first time ever, and my left quad eased up the more I ran. Knee felt fine also.

Got a hill walk tomorrow morning, at an as-yet undecided location. Should be good for strengthening the legs. I also calculated that I can make 1000 miles if I do between 38k and 40k a week for the rest of the year. I think I'll make that another goal. :pac:

For the week so far:

Mar 5th-11th | 3 | 32.24 km | 0.0 km

Mon 12/3/2012

5.65km in 28:14

My first early morning run in years, the goal was to run 5k at sub 5' pace, which was manageable. I must try get some food into me first next time, was tired, heavy legged and hungry for the last .65km. All in all though, I'm pleased. Good start to the week. :)

For the week so far:

Week (4) | Sessions | Distance | (Treadmill)
    Mar 12th-18th | 1 | 5.65 km | 0.0 km

Wed 14/3/2012

Tempo run 7.91km in 38:45 @ 4'54"/km

Program dictated a 40 min tempo run, which I planned originally to do this morning. However, late nights and encroaching deadlines meant my willpower was hovering around zero when my alarm went off, so I had to reschedule for lunchtime. Every cloud has a silver lining though, and at least I was able to eat before this, which helped.

I'm very pleased with these numbers, I'm definitely closing in on the ability to do a 50min 10k run, and the amount of air I'm getting into my lungs has definitely improved. My legs aren't feeling any pain, although I can definitely feel their tired protests on occasion. I feel they'll probably be my biggest obstacle when I eventually get to 'race'.

Tomorrow is football night, but I'll try get up and do the requested slow 6.5k tomorrow morning depending on how much midnight oil is wasted this evening. I've a 10k planned for Friday, and hoping to do 13-14k on Sunday. 5 sessions this week would be great (and required), but 4 wouldn't be a disaster.

For the week so far:

Week (4) | Sessions | Distance | (Treadmill)
    Mar 12th-18th | 2 | 13.56 km | 0.0 km

Sun 18/3/2012

LSR 16.04km in 1:46:25 @ 6'38"/km (climb 146m)

The only exercise I got between Wednesday and this morning was football on Thursday night. The plan was to fit in a 6.5k and a 10k on Friday and Saturday, but the combination of bad weather, real world demands, and my own laziness conspired to leave me with nothing done till this morning. Thankfully, it was a gorgeous morning, and I had a wonderful long run, the longest I've ever ran, and I could have kept going forever(-ish). :)

So another 3 session week, not a disaster, but I'd like to up it a little, 40k a week would be a nice target. This week's results.

Week (4) | Sessions | Distance | (Treadmill) | MTD | YTD
    Mar 12th-18th | 3 | 29.6 km | 0.0 km | 69.33 km | 124.22 km

Next week's plan is an easy week in the schedule. 5k + strength on Monday, 6.5km on Tuesday, 7 x 800m intervals on Wednesday, 3.2km + strength on Thursday, 6.5km on Saturday, and 10k race on Sunday (I might do a decent pace 10k for this, rather than an actual race).

Tue 20/3/2012

9.7 km in 52:10 @ avg 5'23"/km (climb 66m), including 7 x 800 intervals @ 5k pace.

I've recently managed sub 25' 5k in my tempo running, so I decided to aim for around 4'45" as a 5k pace. Adventurous, but I figured it would guarantee a good effort, while not be completely unattainable. I was worried about the 800m distance of the intervals as opposed to the 600m, but all in all, it was tough but good. I got a threatened stitch in my warm up run which I thought would scupper the entire thing, but thankfully it went away after the first interval and recovery. Recovery consisted of slow jogging for about 1'30" to 1'45".

|Interval|1|2|3|4|5|6|7
    |Pace/km|4'34"|4'26"|4'40"|4'45"|4'43"|4'40"|4'43"

Head felt clear, calves felt fine, left hamstring protested a little, but no pain.

Week (5) | Sessions | Distance | MTD | YTD
    Mar 19th-25th | 1 | 9.7 km | 79.03 km | 133.92 km

Plan for the rest of the week: 6.5km easy run tomorrow, 3.2km run with strength on Thursday (and football that night), 5km easy run on Friday, 5km easy run on Saturday with strength, and LSR on Sunday.

• Advertisement

Wed 21/3/2012

6.73 km in 47:14 @ avg 7'01"/km (climb 53m).

Tonight was really just about getting out there again, so I went out with a friend just starting out. Enjoyed being out in the fresh air and the chat. Pace obviously nothing to write home about, but then again, seeing that I wouldn't even have considered doing this a couple of months ago, I'll take it and be glad of it! After leaving my friend at hers, I did the last 0.6km @ 4'30 pace uphill, just to make the run a little more 'legit'. :)

Mar 19th-25th | 2 | 16.43 km | 85.76 km | 140.65 km

Plan for the rest of the week: 3.2km run with strength on Thursday (and football that night), 5km easy run on Friday, 5km easy run on Saturday with strength, and LSR on Sunday.

Fri 23/3/2012

6.44 km in 36:16 @ avg 5:38/km (climb 51m).

Played an hour of hectic six-a-side last night, so my legs were a little stiff and heavy, loosened up by this relatively short run. I'm still doing my 'easy' runs a bit too quick, but I'm pleased that I could at least keep this run consistent at this pace. Last 0.5km was a nice sapping rise up a hill to my house. More km in the bank. Job.

Still can't find time for strength training at the moment, but I'm hoping once I have passed my latest deadline with college, I can divvy up my time a bit better.

Mar 19th-25th | 3 | 22.87 km | 92.2 km | 147.09 km

Plan for the rest of the week: 5km easy run on Saturday with strength, and LSR on Sunday.

Sun 25/3/2012

17.41 km in 1:41:26 @ avg 5:50/km (climb 159m).

Another 10+ mile LSR. :D

I was feeling a little heavy legged on Saturday, and pressed for time from 'real-world issues', so I decided to rest up. A good decision as it turns out, felt refreshed and ready to run this morning. My usual running partner cried off with a sore knee, so that gave me an opportunity to run this at the quicker end of my McMillan-suggested-LSR pace (5'47-6'24).

The run itself was a good sweat-out, and it was good to get another run at this distance. It also showed me just how much work there is still to do if I want to be closer to a 1:20:00 - 1:30:00 10 mile time in mid-April. :P

The last couple of kms were tough, especially since there was some sapping elevation involved. But I needed to do 17km to hit 40km for the week. Huzzah!

Mar 19th-25th | 4 | 40.28 km | 109.61 km | 164.5 km

Fri 30/3/2012

8.03 km in 45:57 @ avg 5:43/km (climb 68m).

A very busy week, combined with extreme guilt at not fulfilling running obligations meant motivation was a real issue by the time Friday came along. Then once I threw my runners on and went out, I forgot all about it. Annoyed I didn't get out earlier in the week, but I've another 8-10k planned this evening, and an LSR for tomorrow, which should get my 'kilometreage' up to something like what I want. But I really wanted to hit 5 sessions this week. Fail. :mad:

Week (6) | Sessions | Distance | MTD | YTD
    Mar 26th-Apr 1st | 1 | 8.03 km | 117.64 km | 172.53 km

Sat 30/3/2012

8.65 km in 42:39 @ avg 4:56/km (climb 68m).

One of the runs I skipped earlier in the week was a 45 min tempo run, so it stood to reason that it had to be fit in sometime over the weekend. This was a good mixture of tough yet manageable, and there was a spell there over the third to sixth kilometres where I felt I could run at 4:50 pace forever. But all good things must come to an end (usually preceded by the advent of a long slow climb). Still, I'm very happy with this overall, although I honestly thought 2km in that I'd do well to keep that pace even for 20 mins. The individual km times for the first 8 km were, 4:52; 4:50; 4:42; 4:47; 4:47; 4:45; 4:58; 5:09

Week (6) | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Mar 26th-Apr 1st | 2 | 16.68 km | 126.29 km | 181.18 km

And that's it for March. 126.29km. If I want to reach 1,600km for the year, I need an average of 164km per month till the end of the year. That means 40k p/w, no exceptions. April's target is 165km for the month, along with a return to some strength training with my dumbbells.

Mon 2/3/2012

8.02 km in 44:55 @ avg 5:36/km (climb 61m).

I was feeling a bit sore and stiff yesterday, along with being pressed for time, so I didn't complete last week with an LSR. But a new week (and month) brings a clean slate. Went out this evening looking to do 8k at 5:50 pace. Ran it slightly quicker, as I usually end up doing, but my body seems to be evening out at around 5:20-5:40 when I run, which at the very least is consistent.

Week (7) | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Apr 2nd - 8th | 1 | 8.02 km | 8.02 km | 189.2 km

My plan this week is:
    Tue: 8 x 800 intervals tomorrow at 5k pace.
    Wed: 10k
    Thurs: (football)
    Fri: Rest
    Sat: 6.5k
    Sun: 16k LSR

We'll see how it goes.

Tue 3/3/2012

8.84 km in 52:17 @ avg 5:55/km (climb 70m).

Another easy-ish run, I'm really trying to keep my pace a bit slower. I've a long run arranged tomorrow with a friend, so I didn't fancy the intervals today. So I did Saturday's run today, and I'll do the intervals on Saturday.

Weighed in today, and my weight is finally beginning to move (in the right direction!), 195.2 lbs, nearly six pounds lost since I started this log. Huzzah! :P My target is a pound a week, so long may it continue (or at least for another 15-20 weeks at this rate!)

Apr 2nd - 8th | 2 | 16.86 km | 16.86 km | 198.04 km

My plan for the rest of the week:

Wed: 10k+
    Thurs: (football)
    Sat: 8 x 800 intervals at 5k pace.

Wed 4/3/2012

16.04 km in 1:49:37

Another easy and slow run, this time an LSR with a friend. We originally intended 10-11k, but took a little detour to bring it up to 16k. Delighted to get more km down, and it felt good, conversation pace all the way. The sun was out in patches, and the North Wind only pierced occasionally. Very happy coming home after this! :)

Other good news, my coin jar has enough for a new pair of runners (with a little subsidising from my own wallet). Just in time, my old runners (which had only been used sparingly over the 7 years of their lifetime, until February this year) were surprisingly comfy and suited to my feet, with no pain whatsoever out of them, but they seem a little flat in the last week and a half. So gait analysis and shiny new shoes for the weekend.

Apr 2nd - 8th | 3 | 32.9 km | 32.9 km | 214.08 km

My plan for the rest of the week:

Thurs: (football) [I'm going to take it very handy at this!]
    Sat: 8 x 800 intervals at 5k pace.

Sun 8/3/2012

9.51 km in 1:03:06 @ 6:40/km

Another easy and slow run with a friend. Nice morning for it, and an opportunity to break in my new Asics GT 2170s, and Aldi-supplied running gear. Everything worked to purpose, and it felt very easy (which it was!) :)

Apr 2nd - 8th | 4 | 42.41 km | 42.41 km | 223.59 km

Next week, I'm doing the 10 mile Great Island Race in Cobh on Sunday morning, so I'm going to follow the last week of Hal Higdon's intermediate plan (which I've been mostly following for the last five weeks). If I manage under 1:30 for that, I'll be very happy for my first race.

• Advertisement

Wed 11/4/2012

9.81 km in 55:09 incorporating 6km at tempo

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
    4:57 | 4.58 | 5.04 | 4.59 | 4.55 | 4.53

This was really difficult. My breathing was heavy and I had to work way too hard. Much more difficult than my tempo run two weeks ago, which was for 45 mins at the same pace. On this showing, I definitely need to reconsider my approach for Sunday's 10 mile. Having said that, as I was completing the 6th km at tempo, my breathing was back online, but my legs were whingeing. I think I really need to look at my stretching, my warm up and my overall prep.

Week (8) | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Apr 9th - 15th | 1 | 9.81 km | 52.22 km | 233.40 km

My warm up for this was all over the place, I had a stitch, and I went out too quick. I could not settle on a pace at all. Things weren't helped by the fact that I decided on this tempo at the last minute - originally it was scheduled for tomorrow and I was going to do a slow 8k with a friend, who cancelled.

What's done is done. I'm going to do the first half of next week at 5.30/km, and then pick up for the end, towards a time of 1:2x.

Advertisement