Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Ash Wednesday Thread???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

jester77 wrote: »
    Is this the no cigarette day?

Little known fact, for a long time it was actually smoker's day, where smokers united, and offen would march down the street, putting thier cigs out on the foreheads of non-smokers & little old ladies, but thankfully some traditions are fading away now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

toexpress wrote: »
    I speak it as I type and read ... I'm a bit slow

Back is as was but thanks for asking, a true gent! Now if only you were an 83 year old wealthy farmer with a large holding who was gay you would be ideal

:eek: You filthy b*stard! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

kfallon wrote: »
    :eek: You filthy b*stard! :p

Not really I just figure at 83 he can't have long left and then I can get the farm, have all the meat I want and create the next Ballymaloe right here in Co. Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭flossy1

I will be only going to mass
    i like ash wednesday , it brings me back to reality DUST THOUGH ARE AND UNTO DUST YOU SHALL RETURN

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Had no idea it was 'ash wednesday' today. Saw a few people around the office(big building) with sh!t on their faces, surprisingly, I didnt think anything of it. No eating meat? Eh, dont tell me what I can and can not eat on any sort of day, wont be eating meat today anyway, more veg for my dindins tonight. Maybe a bit of meat in my deli roll in a little bit.

Silly tradition tbh, I mean like, we are people with a population of 7 billion or there abouts on a planet, floating in a extremely vast space. Aliens (if they could be arsed) must look at us today and think (as someone funnily said already) 'why are they walking around with burnt rubbish on their faces?' lol.

Silly little usless race we are. WASH YOUR FOREHEAD, dirty hippy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Went to Mass. Will be fasting. Everyone to their own. If ya want to get sloshed, knock yourself out.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

I had homemade chicken soup for breakfast. Going to eat a bit of meatloaf for lunch, and have more meatloaf with a little rice for dinner. So... yeah. Meat-tastic.

I would hate in secondary school when sanctimonious feckers would chide me for eating meat as part of my lunch on Ash Wednesday. What business was it of theirs? Our school was Catholic ethos but there was students of at least three other religions attending also. I was raised Catholic but how did they know what my feelings on religion were and why on Earth should I have defend myself on such a matter? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

I will not be eating meat
    got the ashes, forgot about the part about not eating meat. i had my lunch then went to get the ashes

got the ashes, forgot about the part about not eating meat. i had my lunch then went to get the ashes

And the frame......

:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

how does the church get the ashes? must be a serious carbon footprint if catholics worldwide are getting smudged up

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

Nearly took a bite out of a sausage bap today, lucky I remembered.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

So that's why KFC was quieter today. More of this please if it makes queues shorter!

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Paddy De Plasterer

No sign of Bertie even, with big lump of soot on his forehead ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

how does the church get the ashes? must be a serious carbon footprint if catholics worldwide are getting smudged up

I'm wondering that too, it was much easier for them back in the day when people were allowed to smoke in the pubs. All they had to do was head across the street and empty the ash trays, no idea how they do it today :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

I will not be eating meat
    And the frame......

:P

lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

do the priests also have to give up taking meat today?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I'm an Atheist, no restrictions for me there ;)

But I know, certain Germans use this day to cure their hangovers, which they got over Carnival :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I'm a vegetarian but I think I'll eat meat today...for the craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

do the priests also have to give up taking meat today?
    Yes, for it is better to give than receive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

No Ash Wednesday Thread???
    Surprised at this, thought there would be one now with people arguing over whether they would or not be eating meat or getting the contents of someone's bin on their forehead!

Something similar already running in the Christian Forum (with a Poll) :D

Link > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056555095

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

My favourite bit of ash Wednesday is eating leftover pancakes for breakfast. This morning I had one with lemon and sugar, one with Nutella and one with leftover red and blackcurrant compote that I made last night. They were delicious.

Tonight I'll be eating Lebanese food with lots of lamb, spicy sausage and, in honour of little baby Jesus, charcoal chicken.

iguana wrote: »
    My favourite bit of ash Wednesday is eating leftover pancakes for breakfast. This morning I had one with lemon and sugar, one with Nutella and one with leftover red and blackcurrant compote that I made last night. They were delicious.

Tonight I'll be eating Lebanese food with lots of lamb, spicy sausage and, in honour of little baby Jesus, charcoal chicken.

Oooooo compote eh! It's jam trout, jam!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

iguana wrote: »
    leftover pancakes

Does not compute.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Oooooo compote eh! It's jam trout, jam!!! :pac:

It wasn't jam as jam is cooked differently, tastes different and has a very different texture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Ash wednesday the day when I go on a rampage around town bull-whipping christians:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I'm going to mass to smoke cigarettes and eat steak

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

No thread? ........ Some people won't be happy..... +:-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Did anyone lamp a bit of **** on their head from the ashtray this morning and use it as an excuse to stroll into work like a boss an hour late?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Woman at the deli seemed a bit shocked when I ordered turkey on my sandwich. Imagine her face when I told her God wasn't real, she'll never see any of her dead relatives ever again, and when she dies, her body will just rot in the ground and there is nothing after death.

I mean, I didn't actually say that... but try to imagine that I did.

Advertisement