Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dingle Marathon/Half-Marathon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

I was planning for Tralee. I will not know for sure until next week. I have nothing booked as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭dts1

Anyone any idea how many are registered for this event in Dingle ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 djpm

Has anybody got a profile of the half? Can't find it on mapmyrun/ride

EDIT - Just found it on the website

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

djpm wrote: »
    EDIT - Just found it on the website

Deleted post

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Did my last LSR today, all set now for a week of taking it easy and waiting for next Saturday!

So does anyone have any idea on the numbers running the full?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Anyone got a lift (space) from tralee to Dingle on the morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭woundedknee

Wally,
    Have sent you PM

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Soooo the time is nearly upon us. Really wish I was doing the full now. :pac:

Did about 15 miles yesterday which shows how much I care about my time on Saturday but I should still get a decent time if my knee behaves itself. Looks like I'm going to be waiting around for about an hour for a train in Tralee on my way home on Satruday seeing as they don't have any mid-day buses. :rolleyes: I see they're showing 'Spirit of the Marathon' tomorrow night, might plod along to the 8pm showing if I get to Tralee on time. Anyone planning on using their pasta voucher tomorrow night? Wonder if the free food will be nice, free food is hardly ever nice. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Best of luck to you all fortunate people doing this. Beautiful place in brilliant weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Abhainn wrote: »
    Best of luck to you all fortunate people doing this. Beautiful place in brilliant weather.

Thanks. Let's hope the beautiful weather won't be a touch too beautiful for running a full marathon ...

Still, I can't wait. I hope they don't expect me to do any real work today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

Don't know if its been mentioned on here yet. 'The Spirit of the Marathon' is showing at the Dingle Film Festival this evening.

http://www.dinglefilmfestival.com/friday.html

Good luck in the races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 CR7

Abhainn wrote: »

Cant wait to get going tomorrow morning, God has blessed us with the weather. See you all down at the starting line..

Fantastic event. Thought it all went off really well and was well organised. Water stations were easily accessible and the water bottles were ice cold which was a welcome surprise. Was very warm out there even at 9am. Bit disappointed with my time I was really struggling out there and lost about 5 minutes with walk breaks. Will post a race report when I get home tonight, always nice to meet boardsies too.

Results are up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

What a great day. the weather made it! Not too hot for the half- felt a bit sorry for the full marathon runners though. Second half of the half was tougher, but the views!

Anybody else missing their name from the results by the way?

I enjoyed it very much, but I found it very hard going over the last 5 miles. I think the heat got to me, but then again I was doing the full marathon. I felt very good until my legs started cramping on that blasted hill.

Race report is available here, if anyone wants to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great report Thomas. 12th in 3:12 in such a tough marathon is a great achievement. Well done.

Great result. It was a relief to turn off at 13 miles and power down towards the finish line. It must have been awful for full runners to see people turning off like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Wow well done Thomas. Brilliant race report. Thanks.

my first ever event since taking up jogging a few months ago - enjoyed it. got a finish just outside the top 100. how does it compare with other 1/2 marathons in terms of difficulty?

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »
    my first ever event since taking up jogging a few months ago - enjoyed it. got a finish just outside the top 100. how does it compare with other 1/2 marathons in terms of difficulty?

Well Done!

Without a shadow of a doubt, this is one of the more difficult half marathons you are going to come across. In Ireland, the Connemara Half might be tougher, the rest are easier (though the Dingle Full is tougher than the Connemara Full, in my opinion).

Great report there Thomas. Very good time! The second half looked very tough- we passed a few just at the top of that hill on the way back on the bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Brienoian

Great event and very well organised. Beautiful scenery. Blessed with the weather!
    That hill at mile 11 was a killer.
    Happy with my time. 1:37
    Poor goodie bag at the end i thought, considering the cost of entry.
    Nice medal.
    Like everyone else doing the half, felt so sorry for the full runners, passing them out on the bus back. Well done to everyone.

glasso wrote: »

Only other half I've done is the Dublin one(which I've done twice) and I had a mare in Dublin last year so I can't really compare. I wonder how it compares to Achill though?

To those that did the full. Would you do it again? Was considering the full this year but opted to just do the half. Good challenge? Not a course for a PB anyway? The only hill I found really difficult was the one at 11 miles or so, my lungs couldn't take that at all...although I wonder now whether that was physical or mental. :rolleyes: Otherwise I didn't find the course that tough, then again, I wasn't able to run it full pelt so maybe thats why I found it that bit easier.

I did enjoy it though, thought it was a nice course and having a shotgun blasting into the air to kick it off was a nice touch. :D
    Starting pens, were very small and weren't really observed but at least they were there. Medals look great. Goody bag was very poor but thats not what I was there for. Dingle is definitely on my list to do again be it the half or the full. I won't be going by train next time though. :rolleyes:

To those that did the full. Would you do it again? Was considering the full this year but opted to just do the half. Good challenge? Not a course for a PB anyway? The only hill I found really difficult was the one at 11 miles or so, my lungs couldn't take that at all...although I wonder now whether that was physical or mental. :rolleyes: Otherwise I didn't find the course that tough, then again, I wasn't able to run it full pelt so maybe thats why I found it that bit easier.

I did enjoy it though, thought it was a nice course and having a shotgun blasting into the air to kick it off was a nice touch. :D
    Starting pens, were very small and weren't really observed but at least they were there. Medals look great. Goody bag was very poor but thats not what I was there for. Dingle is definitely on my list to do again be it the half or the full. I won't be going by train next time though. :rolleyes:

I might do the full again, but will have to think about it first. Obviously it's not a course for a PB, and I'm not sure we'll ever get a better view than on Saturday, though of course a cloudier day would have been welcome while on the course. Since I ran the full my judgement of the half course might be a bit skewed, but it definitely wasn't easy.

The final hill of the full marathon was longer, steeper and higher than Connemara's Hell of the West. Suffering is mandatory on that one, be prepared.

Goody bag was crap, but I really don't care about that.

Starting pens? I was standing beside the 3 hours full/90 minutes half sign almost on my own. Everyone else seemed to gather behind the 3:30 full/1:45 half marker. Normally people cheat much more on this, it really surprised me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Thomas,
    Have been following your blog for months now, well done on the race, sub 3 was never gonna happen here. Are you running Dublin?

buck65 wrote: »
    Thomas,
    Have been following your blog for months now, well done on the race, sub 3 was never gonna happen here. Are you running Dublin?

Thanks, Buck.

I'm feeling great today (well ... within reason), definitely the best I've ever felt after a marathon. Mowing the grass for a few hours yesterday was a great idea, even if it didn't entirely feel like that at the time.

Agreed, sub-3 was way out of of reach on that course. To be fair, I didn't even try. And yes, I'll be in Dublin. Quite possibly a very stupid idea, but I'll give it a go anyway.

Starting pens? I was standing beside the 3 hours full/90 minutes half sign almost on my own. Everyone else seemed to gather behind the 3:30 full/1:45 half marker. Normally people cheat much more on this, it really surprised me.

I only saw the times marked on the starting pens as we ran out. I was about 5 rows from the front and had no problems with passing people. Then again I went into the pens from the front.
    Only to be nearer the DJ/MC guy of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Really enjoyed the half-marathon, I particularly enjoyed veering off to the left to the finisher's pen in Dun Chaoin, that hill around mile 11 really took a lot out of me! Stunning views as has been said before, stunning weather too - my only pitfall was that I opted for a cotton sleeveless t-shirt, it ended up absorbing all the sweat leaving me with an unpleasant chill from about mile 6 onwards, really should have opted for a regular running top instead.

Finished in 01:54:24, exactly 2 seconds slower than I did the Dublin Half in around this time last year and roughly 5 minutes slower than I did the Wexford Half in last May. Happy enough with that as I haven't been doing much running training over the summer, was mainly concentrating on cycling and swimming, for Gael Force last month and my first triathlon next month respectively.

Am very tempted to come back next year, should probably do the early bird registration. As has been mentioned, the course had a lot of variety, some nice meanders and even a wooden footbridge at one stage!

That's a great blog Thomas, I really like how you show your times as they progress since your first marathon, it goes to show there's hope for us all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 theFinishLine

I ran in the full marathon on Saturday. Certainly the most spectacular in terms of scenery that I have ever taken part in. Some years ago I ran a small marathon in Boulder Colorado which ran right up into the rockies. The HILL at 21 miles in Dingle puts the rockies into the shade.

Some general observations:

1. The start was a very laid back and non complicated affair. It was the first marathon I have ever seen where there was no need for a start tape. The runners stayed behind the line. When the gun went - off they went. And there was a gun - a local guy with a big-ass shot gun fired the starting shot.
    2. The energy drinks. I don't think the half marathons would have seen the energy drinks - maybe they got them at the end. But seriously fizzy drinks in the marathon? I burped like homer simpson for about 2 miles after consuming mine. I spilled some over my hands which left me with two sugar coated hands. Given that there was only 400 marathoners - it would not have been a huge expense to buy a few pallet loads of non-fizzy energy drinks - "buy" if there was no sponsor of course.
    3. I did hear some half marathon people say that there was large queues for the buses back to Dingle - only a small handful of buses passed me along the route on their way back. I was wondering if there was any sense in bussing the half marathons out to Dunquinn and running the half from there? Then everyone gets to finish in Dingle and without the long wait after they finish?
    4. The initial number sparring in the first few miles - it would have been useful to say have colour coded numbers - just like the medal ribbons - gree for full, yellow for half - it was easy to get caught running along with a group who all turned out to be half marathoners.
    5. Toughness of the course. A good indicator is the small number of sub-three hour marathon finishers. It looks like non of the sub-three guys actually split negatively - this must be some kind of record? It does show how savagely tough the second half was.
    6. A beautiful friendly marathon - I really enjoyed being greeted in Irish as I ran along - I will have a few Irish running phrases ready for next year.

Overall a great first marathon for Dingle - a few bits to tidy up but thats what you need to have the first marathon for.

Advertisement