Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contentious Pictures

• 12-01-2009 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

Myself and others have posted pictures from the recent protests held in Dublin and Cork regarding the situation in Gaza, most of these pictures regardless of the photographers views on the subject were pro Palestine in the content and many of them had slogans prominent which were critical of Israel, now I know that it is ok to post them here but is it ok to submit them into club/national competitions. Could the content offend a judge and you may get marked down, would pictures of this type be appropriate for the boards expo in DCC?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Cabansail may have more insight on the DCC but I would suggest that photography should transcend the political chasm. A great picture is a great picture.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

As long as it's suitable for Public Display then it's fine.

The Selection will be done on Photographic Merit & not on Political Content.

If you have a good Documentary Photograph then it should do well in competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

A picture is a picture, a captured moment in time that may or may not reflect a particular personal view of an event.

Regardless of the subject a good image is a good picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

I think a good documentary shot is one of the purest forms of photography... Nothing is faked and its pure emotion...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭JMcL

If a judge marks something down based on some prejudice they have, it's a problem, but there's not a whole hell of a lot you can do about it. Anybody judging competitions should be reasonably impartial, though there's a limit to this - it is all subjective at the end of the day - one judge might hammer an image, another might think it the best thing since sliced bread. In short, I wouldn't let it stop you putting images forward if you think they're strong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

The original question is more "PC gone mad stuff".

Where in gods name are you going to get a photo with a pro-Palestine banner and a pro-Isreali one to balance it out.

And would you get out alive :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Covey wrote: »
    Where in gods name are you going to get a photo with a pro-Palestine banner and a pro-Isreali one to balance it out.

Layers & Cloning ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭PaulieC

while I generally agree with most of what is being said, I doubt you'd get as fair a reaction to your pics if they portrayed pro-Israeli/anti-Palestine images.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

while I generally agree with most of what is being said, I doubt you'd get as fair a reaction to your pics if they portrayed pro-Israeli/anti-Palestine images.

Why ever not :confused:

Sure people have an empathy etc. but we/they are judging photos. Surely taking the photo doesn't infer the photographer agreeing with whats happening:confused:

If you had excellent shots of the following, would they be marked down because of content?

A Woman being beaten by her husband?
    Vultures waiting on a child to die? (That one exists)
    A policeman being attacked at Hallowen. (that one exists also)

et al.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

my guess is that in this part of the world a pro-palastine photo is almost more likely to be received in a better light than a pro-judaism photo. Of course political bias should def be put aside in either case, but people being people...

• Advertisement
Advertisement