Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to attach a tv bracket to an internally insulated wall?

• 13-07-2013 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi,
    I need to attach a bracket to hold a 42inch TV. It needs to be able to swivel and pull in and out a bit. So bracket needs to be very strong.

Question is: do I need to first cut out the 90mm internal warm board to somehow attach the bracket directly to the concrete blocks? I presume its not possible to attach something like this to internal insulation board?
    (Prob means I'll have a cold bridge if I cut out board to attach directly to external wall)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭windyboy

Hi ,

We have ICF 75mm ploystrene behind plasterboard followed by 150mm concrete. My electrician fitted the swivel bracket by drilling holes through the concrete and using masonry screws that anchor into the concrete. I can't see why you couldn't the same.

Regards,
    Windyboy

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Linto

windyboy wrote: »
    Hi ,

We have ICF 75mm ploystrene behind plasterboard followed by 150mm concrete. My electrician fitted the swivel bracket by drilling holes through the concrete and using masonry screws that anchor into the concrete. I can't see why you couldn't the same.

Regards,
    Windyboy

Thanks windyboy. But does the bracket get fixed directly on the external wall, or onto the face of the existing plasterboard and screwed all the way through to concrete wall??
    Do you have a picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

Linto wrote: »
    Thanks windyboy. But does the bracket get fixed directly on the external wall, or onto the face of the existing plasterboard and screwed all the way through to concrete wall??
    Do you have a picture?

I think I'd try fixing through warm board to conc wall. It might be an idea to fix a square of ply to surface before drilling to give a hard surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭windyboy

The bracket face sits on the plasterboard , see attached.

windyboy wrote: »
    The bracket face sits on the plasterboard , see attached.

So, in theory do you have a cold bridge there? I guess area would be insignificant - right? I'm just a bit concerned about cutting all the insulation board out and then replacing with the ply to attach bracket

• Advertisement

So, in theory do you have a cold bridge there? I guess area would be insignificant - right? I'm just a bit concerned about cutting all the insulation board out and then replacing with the ply to attach bracket

Who said any thing like that? Not I

What I said is
    1. mount ply to surface
    2. Drill through ply and insulation and concrete wall
    3. Fix bracket to wall.

If you can't work it out then maybe employe someone who can.

topcatcbr wrote: »
    Who said any thing like that? Not I

What I said is
    1. mount ply to surface
    2. Drill through ply and insulation and concrete wall
    3. Fix bracket to wall.

If you can't work it out then maybe employe someone who can.

Got it thanks. But that way the ply stands out proud of the wall.

Got it thanks. But that way the ply stands out proud of the wall.

Paint it same as wall and you'll hardly notice it. You'll see the TV mostly.

Advertisement