Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manuscripts dating back to the early 1600

• 02-03-2010 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all,

I have came across some Latin and english manuscripts dating back to the early 1600.

I done some searching in realtion to finding out are they of any importance but didn't find to much.

Would anyone out there know who I could see or would these manuscripts be of a historical value?

Any replies would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Under the National Monuments Act, any artefact discovered should be surrendered to the State through the National Museum of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 WayKay

This has clearly belonged to my family for quite some time.

Would it fall under artefact meaning man made object; simple prehistoric tools or weapons? i don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

WayKay wrote: »
    This has clearly belonged to my family for quite some time.

Would it fall under artefact meaning man made object; simple prehistoric tools or weapons? i don't know.

It would really depend on the national importance of the documents. Saying that they are very very old and possibly quite significant. Get them to the national museum, get them valued and get your tax credits ;)

Revenue.ie
    Tax relief is available in respect of the donation of important national heritage items to the Irish national collections. The relief consists of a tax credit equal to the value of the heritage item(s) donated which can be credited against particular tax liabilities incurred by the donor.

Any chance of some high res scans?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1994/en/act/pub/0017/index.html

NATIONAL MONUMENTS (AMENDMENT) ACT, 1994
    5.—(1) No person shall have in his possession or under his control an archaeological object which has been found in the State after the coming into operation of the Principal Act unless it has been reported under section 23 (as amended by the Act of 1987) of the Principal Act or under this section within three months of the coming into operation of this section.

If it was found before 1994 then you are ok but still it is advisable to let the state (National Museum of Ireland) have a look at it. They can advise you on how best to look after it. They cannot take it from you provided it was found before 1994:
    2.—(1) Without prejudice to any other rights howsoever arising in relation to any archaeological object found before the coming into operation of this section, there shall stand vested in the State the ownership of any archaeological object found in the State after the coming into operation of this section where such object has no known owner at the time when it was found.

(2) In this section "owner" means the person for the time being having such estate or interest in the archaeological object as entitles him to the actual possession thereof.

Advertisement