Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Work Experience

• 31-08-2011 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

I am highly interested in game development and I was wondering would anybody know where to look for work experience around Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Best off trying to find an indie studio and work for them, although the chances of getting paid work experience is very slim. PopCap games take on iterns but I don't know about work experience. You could ask the guys at Open Emotion Studios in Limerick or NeverMind Games in Tipperary.

What age are you and do you have any relevant skills and experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 LANCE JUSTICE

Thanks for the reply, Im 15 and I have lots of experience with computers but not much with programming, only basics in HTML.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Thanks for the reply, Im 15 and I have lots of experience with computers but not much with programming, only basics in HTML.

The only problem here is that most games companies require you to sign an NDA (non-disclosure agreement) if you work with them etc which may put them off bringing you on board. To be honest, as regards getting work experience without any programming ability (this is not your fault, its just very tough in the industry) you're not going to get much luck.

What I would suggest instead is try to get your hand in the testing side of things which is far more available in Ireland and doesn't require much in the way of technical ability.

Off the top of my head, places that offer this are:
    Activision - Dublin
    Vivendi - Dublin (only good if you can speak a foreign language)
    PopCap - Dublin
    Keywords intl - Dublin (again a foreign language one but they do hire some english speakers)
    GOA games - Dublin
    Gala games - Dublin

and then there are the few in Limerick, Tipperary etc.

What I would do, in your shoes is make a linkedin profile and try and get in touch with companies through that, then try the IGDA page on Facebook and also www.gamedevelopers.ie which is another forum where you may get more help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 GBDublin14

I am seeking a tutor to teach my 8 yr old how to develop simple video games. Based in Rathfarnham. Good hourly rate. Email graham@byrne.net if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

GBDublin14 wrote: »
    I am seeking a tutor to teach my 8 yr old how to develop simple video games. Based in Rathfarnham. Good hourly rate. Email graham@byrne.net if interested.

use scratch , very good , you use building block to make things work , sould like you can do much but you can do very good 2d games

• Advertisement
Advertisement