Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of overgrown weeds/grass

• 28-04-2011 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭

Hi folks , at the bottom of my garden there is a section of grass/weeds that I eventually want to put decking ( no money for it at the moment) , the rest of the garden is fine , nice grass and patio areas , but this area is overgrown and a mess , I want to get rid of the weeds and grass permanently , the area is approx. 8ft x 20ft , would anybody have any ideas how to do this on a very tight budget . Thanks in advance .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blackharvester

simply spray this area with weed kileer (roundup, galloup), when weeds died completly remove them. then level ground, and cover with membrane (mypex). you can cover membrane with bark mulch or stones, and leave it untill you decide to put decking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Thanks for the reply , how much roundup would be required in Your opinion for an area of this size , and is it available in most gardening centres

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

sullzz wrote: »
    how much roundup would be required in Your opinion for an area of this size

A very tiny amount mixed with water for 8ft x 20ft area.

Roundup in a premixed can available in most garden shops & supermarkets would suit you best. Roundup costs about €29 for a litre or €53 for 5 litres - so its more ecomonmical to buy in large quantity. Its mixed with water.

Most Garden Centres, Hardware shops & DIY stores stock Roundup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Thanks RKQ , got Gallup yesterday €45 for 5 litres (not premixed) , going to give it a go later . Thanks a lot for your advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

To have a clear area, slash or strim, then poison, then turn the sod, break it up.

At about 80 cents per litre at Aldi, you could have made your own weed killer - sorry I did not see your post earlier.

• Advertisement
Advertisement