Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vibro Plate

• 04-01-2008 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Anyone ever used one...... any use or is it just another fad....

thanx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Never seen one of these before, just did a quick google and from the price and other info I saw they're a steer clear IMO. A workout without sweating? Not for me, need to get the endorphins running!

Anyone have experience with these? Are they like the vibrating things that you wear around your stomach like the ones that used to be on sale on TV shopping channels?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Boru will be on at some stage to tell you how great they are, so sit tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

yeah, or you could just use the search function at the top of the page

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

I was googling looking for information on vibration plates, as I have been thinking about using/purchasing one of these. I see Chartbusters has a Vibro Plate in some of their stores and I came across a website offering them for hire at home.

Would love to hear opinions from anyone who has hired one from http://www.toneathome.ie

or used the chartbusters ones.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭aye

I have used one before, a pretty good one, for a couple of mins. They are designed for isometric contractions, and the vibrations aparently help build the muscle and increase testosterone levels.
    whether this is true or not i cant tell you, but personally i wouldnt buy one. its a pretty boring workout to be honest, and i can see them ending up in the attic with the steppers and the slendertones.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

They increase testosterone levels??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭aye

Hanley wrote: »
    They increase testosterone levels??

yeh thats what i was told, through the vibrations and the isometric contractions. personally i dont understand how, and i don't really know if that can be true, but its one of the reasons the facility gave for using them.

Found a link on it http://www.world-slim.com/f-a-q/lose-weight-11.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

There is no such thing as a free lunch nor a magic formula.

If you want to tone up/lose weight, eat well and exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 sheldonparkgym

Naos wrote: »
    There is no such thing as a free lunch nor a magic formula.

If you want to tone up/lose weight, eat well and exercise.

A vibro plate is simply a piece of exercise equipment, much like a free weight or an exercise machine.

You can use it to make extremely strenuous exercises (e.g. one legged squats) even more challenging. It's also fantastic for exercises like lunges, press-ups, planks.

Unfortunately, the way it's marketed in the media (especially in celebrity-filled mags - "Get arms like Madonna in just 5 EASY mins a day!" etc etc) has led many people to throw the baby out with the bathwater

In short, it's a serious piece of equipment, that can be used on its own or in conjunction with a regular (machines and free weights) strength-training program. I would personally recommend the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 April10

I finally got the Vibro Plate, I luv it and think its brilliant. It was the only thing that would get rid of my belly (I havn't got abs yet bt im getting there :)) I live in Waterford and got mine from www.vibroplatedirect.

The Vibro Plate isn't as easy as it seems, you do feel yhe muscles contracting. you feel like your doing weights but it dosn't take as long to see results as the gym does!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Worst. Shill. Ever

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭bubblyone

Tried one in a gym I visited one day. I felt like my eyes were going to be shaken out of my head. I did the lunges, squats etc that were on a poster on the wall-they were fine. They also have pushup variations demonstrated. Didn't like them. Think anyone with carpal tunnel would have issues. Had a read around about them-some say that the feeling of muscle soreness after using them is more because of pure vibration induced trauma rather than actual work done by the muscles. There is some evidence out there that they can help increase bone density/slow loss which intrigues me more really.
    The day I tried it I had really tight calves and threw them on for the stretching section. They did actually feel looser. So I suppose it's useful for that. Or you could use a foam roller. If I win Euromillions I might buy one...but otherwise not totally convinced.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭d-sher

In the 1950’s, people thought that they could use this vibrating belt to lose fat. We all know that this doesn’t work, but some weight loss scams just won’t die. It just takes time to be reinvented in a more modern form.

People want a quick and easy solution to lose fat, and that hasn’t changed in the last 60 years. Now instead of vibrating just the areas that you want to lose weight, you shake the entire body. This is known as “Whole Body Vibration”. The vibrating machine looks like a fancy scale with raised handlebars to hang on to. Instead of simply shaking the fat off you, the new theory is that you are flexing and tensing your muscles to stay balanced and this gives you the workout.

I was in a Shopping centre yesterday and went in for a free trial. I was told that my 6 minute session was the same as doing a 45 minute cardio and weight training session at a gym – and I didn’t even break a sweat. They forgot to mention that they also broke many of the laws of physics, thermodynamics and just plain common sense. I’ll admit that I might have burned 2 or 3 extra calories per minute to stay balanced, but a pound of fat has 3,500 calories. It would take over 20 hrs on the machine and that costs €12 for 10 minutes!

Why don’t professional athletes do this? They could stand on the machine for half an hour and have the same benefit of many hours of training? The answer is simple, they know that gimmicks like this DO NOT WORK.

According to their brochure, the benefits include quick inch loss (from your wallet?), improved bone density (without calcium?), cellulite reduction (without diet), and hormonal balance (are mine out of balance?).

The machine vibrates from between 10 and 30 times per second. There are 9 different rehabilitation programs so that means that each program has about 2 vibrations per second difference. That means that in the morning I could vibrate at 18 times per second to remove my cellulite, and in the afternoon I could vibrate at 20 times per second to lose overall body fat. Each session costs €12, and the only thing that I would lose would be €24!

The thing that really amazed me was that the place was busy! People were actually believing this stuff. If vibrations caused you to lose weight, how come there are so many overweight truck drivers? I would think they are being vibrated all day long.

Please, if you are considering spending hundreds of euro to lose weight, hire a Dietitian for a couple hours, buy some good healthy cookbooks, buy a gym membership and hire a personal trainer for a session instead. I can guarantee that it would not be a waste of money.

Me thinks that April10 may have something to do with the new Vibro crowd that has just opened up in Waterford? First post too!! Shame on you..

• Registered Users Posts: 14 shambol123

I have a powerplate in the local gym and have used it before a few times- I remember being very happy with the way I felt after using it and it definitely worked on some areas of my body. Now a year later I bought one <Mod Snip> Company name removed</Mod Snip>. I am exercising 2 times a day 10m each workout. My arms look much more toned after 2 days, my "love handles" seem much harder to get hold of after one week.

Those who post- I tryed it for a few minutes...- are contradicting themselves, as any type of exercise will feel like a lot of b***** if you only tried it for a few minutes.

Both myself and my husband found this method of exercising very suitable for both weight loss and toning. Delighted with the results and no regrets of the money spent. Looking forward to wearing bikini in Mallorka next month!

A little tip: Make sure you researched the correct way to do the positions, and take it slow at the start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

shambol123 wrote: »
    I have a powerplate in the local gym and have used it before a few times- I remember being very happy with the way I felt after using it and it definitely worked on some areas of my body. Now a year later I bought one <Mod Snip>Company name removed</Mod Snip>. I am exercising 2 times a day 10m each workout. My arms look much more toned after 2 days, my "love handles" seem much harder to get hold of after one week.

Those who post- I tryed it for a few minutes...- are contradicting themselves, as any type of exercise will feel like a lot of b***** if you only tried it for a few minutes.

Both myself and my husband found this method of exercising very suitable for both weight loss and toning. Delighted with the results and no regrets of the money spent. Looking forward to wearing bikini in Mallorka next month!

A little tip: Make sure you researched the correct way to do the positions, and take it slow at the start!

W have a new candidate for the worst shill.

You should get in touch with April10 above, maybe ye sit beside each other in work @ vibroplates.ie :pac:

Shocking stuff :eek:

I really didn't want to reply to this, but I have absolutely no connection to that company except from actually buying the vibroplate from them. I was under the impression this is a thread about if vibroplates work or not. I have one and I think it works. That is all and I don't deserve being bullied for it. That's all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Vibroplate is amazing. Y'all be haters

haters-gonna-hate.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

I really didn't want to reply to this, but I have absolutely no connection to that company except from actually buying the vibroplate from them. I was under the impression this is a thread about if vibroplates work or not. I have one and I think it works. That is all and I don't deserve being bullied for it. That's all

Can you see why it looks suspect?

You registered in March, the same time as April10 yet you didn't post till now and your first post is singing the praises of a machine you only got a week ago. :confused:

Oh and you're not being bullied, that's ridiculous. :mad:

Mr Magners wrote: »
    Can you see why it looks suspect?

You registered in March, the same time as April10 yet you didn't post till now and your first post is singing the praises of a machine you only got a week ago. :confused:

Oh and you're not being bullied, that's ridiculous. :mad:

Wow, you really need to get a life Mr Magners, checking when users are registered and how many posts they posted.... Wow

BTW if you really did check my posts they were not even close about anything fitness related.

Vibroplate is amasing- this thread is now definetely infested by haters, I think I will pass from now on!

To all who are looking for genuine vibroplate thread- do not waste your time here!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

To all who are looking for vibroplates do not waste your time

FYP :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Zombie thread finally laid you rest

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement