Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parnell Square "Taxi Slow Down" Sign Guy

• 10-03-2012 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Joxer_S

I was walking home from the cinema at 1am last night by the north east corner of Parnell Square. Just outside the entrance to the garden of remembrance, a guy got out of his car with a handmade cardboard sign saying something to the effect of "Taxis please slow down, 30kph area".

He seemed to be getting a wave from the taxis that passed by, anyone know what his deal is, just a concerned citizen perhaps?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I'm around there quite often and I've never seen him. He is right though I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

There was a Speed camera van there last nite.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jan shyr

There is much more needed to be written on his cardboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Saw him around 3am there one morning. Got a beep for a passing taxi. Further explanation definitely required!

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

He's a taxi man, he organises the rank on O Connell street, whenever theres a speed trap set up there to catch taxis he stands there with his sign, all the rest of the taxi drivers on the rank chip in to give him a few quid. I was in his taxi before and he told me all about it.

• Advertisement

bassey wrote: »
    He's a taxi man, he organises the rank on O Connell street, whenever theres a speed trap set up there to catch taxis he stands there with his sign, all the rest of the taxi drivers on the rank chip in to give him a few quid. I was in his taxi before and he told me all about it.
    That kind of annoys me. Just drive the fecking speed limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

Same here. Sounds like he's being cute about it (no surprise there) and that it's not actually a crime to do this, but if it is I'd love to see him collared for it. Either way it's just one more negative strike against the taxi industry in my book. If someone is speeding they deserve to get caught, taxi driver or not. What right does this guy have to be tipping off bad drivers like this? It's disgusting behaviour (and if bassey has his info right the guy is profiting off it too).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Nataly Small Accident

At 30kph?.

At 30 in the city center my car (its an automatic) can't decide if it needs 2nd or 3rd gear and is a jerky mess, then I'm overtaken by cyclists.

Riding my motorbike is no less an ordeal at those speeds.

Fuk you Andrew Montague.

At 30kph?.

At 30 in the city center my car (its an automatic) can't decide if it needs 2nd or 3rd gear and is a jerky mess, then I'm overtaken by cyclists.

Riding my motorbike is no less an ordeal at those speeds.

Fuk you Andrew Montague.
    Oh, I agree that 30kph is too slow, 50kph is fine. The problem is that I don't think these guys are doing 50 either. But it is 30 for the foreseeable future and I manage to do it (most of the time :D) so so can the taxi drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Just to clarify I wouldn't imagine he makes much of a profit from it since he's off the road while he's doing the sign, that's why they all chip in I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Nataly Small Accident

bassey wrote: »
    Just to clarify I wouldn't imagine he makes much of a profit from it since he's off the road while he's doing the sign, that's why they all chip in I guess.

I'd say its a bit of a spoof that the lads chip in for him tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Fuk you Andrew Montague.

there are so many reasons why this statement is both necessary and full of win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Same here. Sounds like he's being cute about it (no surprise there) and that it's not actually a crime to do this, but if it is I'd love to see him collared for it. Either way it's just one more negative strike against the taxi industry in my book. If someone is speeding they deserve to get caught, taxi driver or not. What right does this guy have to be tipping off bad drivers like this? It's disgusting behaviour (and if bassey has his info right the guy is profiting off it too).

If the rest of the population had an easy way of knowing where speed cameras were set up you can be damn sure they'd avail of it too. There are numerous iPhone apps for example that provide the same service. It's not something to get up on a high horse about.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Joxer_S

Ah, I thought there might be some heartbreaking story about a family member or beloved pet being knocked down by a speeding taxi.

I did see him get out of his car which had no taxi plate on it, not that that disproves what Bassey said..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

At 30kph?.

At 30 in the city center my car (its an automatic) can't decide if it needs 2nd or 3rd gear and is a jerky mess

I don't know the first thing about cars, but could you not find a speed below 30 that your car will drive smoothly at? 30 is the limit, not a target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

OctavarIan wrote: »
    If the rest of the population had an easy way of knowing where speed cameras were set up you can be damn sure they'd avail of it too. There are numerous iPhone apps for example that provide the same service. It's not something to get up on a high horse about.

I'm sure they would (and I'm sure they do). That doesn't make it any less of a disgrace that these taxi drivers are doing it. I'm not being prejudiced against taxi drivers, anyone who condones speeding in this manner is a dirtbag.

I'm not sure why you've quoted me seeing as your post does nothing to discredit what I said earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

Doing 'a bit' over 30kmph is NOT speeding

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Joxer_S

pabloh999 wrote: »
    Doing 'a bit' over 30kmph is NOT speeding

In a 30kph zone, yes it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I think the first people to admit the speed limit is a joke is the guards. Fair play to this guy.
    Didn't they get rid of it in places because it was so slow?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

trying to drive smoothly at 30 is a nightmare, I can only assume whoever came up with that brilliant idea is not a motorist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    I don't know the first thing about cars,

Well, then how can you say this?
    Jehuty42 wrote: »
    but could you not find a speed below 30 that your car will drive smoothly at? 30 is the limit, not a target.

I can go over 30KMH on my bike, This camera was at the bottom of a hill. Try keeping a car at that speed, it causes mayhem around you with other motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

If someone is speeding they deserve to get caught, taxi driver or not. What right does this guy have to be tipping off bad drivers like this?

Isn't the speed limit there to get motorists to slow down, rather than just punish them for going over it?

I think the Garadai should get a load of these sigsn made up and just get plain clothes lads to hold them up all over the city.

Job done

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

Joxer_S wrote: »
    In a 30kph zone, yes it is.
    Its a ridiculous limit. If the limit was 10kmph would you say the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

OP has an answer, this is now a discussion about the speed limit, please continue in Commuting & Transport if you wish, thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement