Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lost key, need to bypass immobiliser...

• 01-05-2011 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

Hi folks, lost the last key to my Landrover Freelander recently (TD4 2001). I managed to get into it, remove the ignition barrel and have keys made to suit but now i have the problem that i can't get around the immobiliser to start it. Any suggestions of what to do now? I have come across an immobiliser bypass unit and am investigating to see if that will work but any other suggestions are very welcome, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Get the key programmed;)

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

Not as simple as that, it seems the locks have been changed at some stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

But if you have keys made to suit? Is it a genuine key or just a key cut in some store?

A local locksmith dismantled the lock cylinder and made keys to suit.

If the original immobiliser is installed this crowd should be able to look after you

http://www.mgrovercodes.com/eka-codes/?gclid=CNno4e6Ex6gCFYob4QodXB3ipg

They'll give you a code that you can enter through the drivers door that will knock off the immobiliser until the battery is next disconnected.

• Advertisement

Plug wrote: »
    Get the key programmed;)

AFAIK Land Rover Freelander keys aren't chipped, the fob interacts with the immobiliser, not the key :)

I had heard that too but there is a coil around the ignition.....and it wont start

Roryhy wrote: »
    I had heard that too but there is a coil around the ignition.....and it wont start

Did you have a fob with the keys that you lost?

RoverJames wrote: »
    Did you have a fob with the keys that you lost?

No, had only a key for the last 2 years or so, had a fob before that, lost that along with another key. :D

No, had only a key for the last 2 years or so, had a fob before that, lost that along with another key. :D

Ok, so when you lost the key and the fob what was done to get the car working with only the key?

Also was the battery disconnected since the car last started?

And now, when the key is turned in the ignition is there a red light on the dash, the immobiliser light?

If so the car won't start because of the immobiliser and you need the EKA code.

• Advertisement

nothing had to be done to get the key working along, it just worked! Yes there is a red light flashing, the alarm is constantly going off while im tinkering around but i have removed the fuse for the horn so theres no noise, only the hazard lights going. i think the immobiliser used to go off when i turned the key in the door, but because the drivers lock is quite worn, the new key doesn't work in it. Im thinking that if maybe i can unlock that door then the immobiliser may just disarm?

nothing had to be done to get the key working along, it just worked! Yes there is a red light flashing, the alarm is constantly going off while im tinkering around but i have removed the fuse for the horn so theres no noise, only the hazard lights going. i think the immobiliser used to go off when i turned the key in the door, but because the drivers lock is quite worn, the new key doesn't work in it. Im thinking that if maybe i can unlock that door then the immobiliser may just disarm?

OK, I would think that the battery has been disconnected and reconnected which has rearmed the alarm/immobiliser.

Turning the key in the door never deactivated the immobiliser on them, the fob did this.

If the key does not work in the drivers door lock even if you had the EKA you could not enter it.

Auto spark or locksmith that can disable the immobiliser by other means is your only option.

I have disconnected the battery plenty of times since i lost the fob and haven't had an issue. I hear what you're saying though, i'll have to figure something out! Thanks for your input!

Well every time the battery was reconnected the alarm and immobiliser would reactivate unless they have been "worked" on.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭pie-man

were are you located?

pie-man wrote: »
    were are you located?

Carlow

Advertisement