Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,734 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Il Vicoletto on Crow Street in Dublin as per post subject line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ Emiliano Modern Beginner

Il Vicoletto on Crow Street in Dublin as per post subject line.

Thanks. Using smart phone version of boards on my HTC and no post subject line is displayed. Or am I just missing it somewere?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Thanks. Using smart phone version of boards on my HTC and no post subject line is displayed. Or am I just missing it somewere?

I can't see it either..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It must just be the smart phone version because I can see it on the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I can't see the title headings on my phone either but can on my desktop.
    Might be something to pass on to the developers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I've already posted this in the "Best Restaurants in Dublin" in the Dublin forum, but might as well post it here too:

2 places I've eaten in in recent weeks and the difference was unbelieveable (considering one has a Michelin star!):

the Dylan Restaurant (at the Dylan hotel): Excellent food. Had only eaten there previously for brunch a few times, so wanted to try the restaurant. Did not disappoint. The food is seriously top notch. Very impressed. Great flavours and the presentation of the dishes is beautiful.

I know this thread is about "best restaurants", I have to mention Locks Brasserie: Very disappointing. Small portions. The food tasted nice enough (apart from one dish, which was pretty bad), but just very ordinary and the presentation left a lot to be desired. Perhaps our expectations were heightended due to them recently receiving a Michelin star, but the food should be excellent because they received a Michelin star! As mentioned above, we had an issue with one of our dishes which was handled very poorly by the waiting staff. I'm not sure if I just went there on a bad day frown.png

I think my favourite restaurant in Dublin for a special occasion would be Chapter One, the food is delicious, but the service is impeccable. You truly are made feel so welcome. The maitre'd there is fantastic. I had to call in one day to buy a gift voucher and the Maitre'd offered me a coffee and was all chat, and the state of me after a day traipsing around the shops compared to the people coming in all dressed up for their meal!

Another restaurant doing great things is The Greenhouse. How they never got a Michelin star, and Locks did, I'll never know! Hopefully next year will be their year. The only problem I have with The Greenhouse is the actual dining room. It's a bit small and feels a bit cramped, so doesn't feel as.... special... as other restaurants imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭jibberjive

We recently had the tasting menu in Sabor Brazil, it was fantastic! One of the best meals we've had on a very long time & it was on a groupon deal too. Food is very different, based around Brazillian influence but still not so adventurous that there wouldn't be something for everyone. They are also very accommodating if there is something you would like to change on the menu. We've eaten there a couple of times & it could equal L'Ecrivian

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Where is that Brazil place?

It is on Pleasants Street (off Camden Street) in Dublin 2.

I had moved this post here from another thread in the Dublin County North forum without editing to say it is in Dublin. :o

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Finally got a babysitter and all the friends organised for a lovely dinner at the greenhouse - and it's closed for the holidays :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Last Sunday, we made a last minute plan to have Sunday Brunch. We'd normally stay locally but I thought we'd try somewhere different. So when I googled 'sunday brunch dublin', the first place that popped up was Seapoint Fish and Grill in Monkstown. And so we took a chance.
    Warm welcome. Clean setting. Good start.
    Lovely menu. All the starters sounded delicious that the three of us decided to order every single one of them and made them like tapas. Grilled gambas, fried calamari, pan-fried scallops with black pudding and crispy pancetta, steamed mussels in a light white wine broth (this particularly was yum-o!), and seafood chowder which was very light and delicate.
    We shared a perfect creme brulee with ice cream on the side.
    They'll be seeing more of us if they keep doing food the way they do. Very very friendly staff too. We left the place in euphoria :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

foodaholic wrote: »
    Finally got a babysitter and all the friends organised for a lovely dinner at the greenhouse - and it's closed for the holidays :-(

Went here last Friday - the first night back open after the holidays. The four of us had the 5 course surprise menu, and it was exceptional. Varied selection of amuse bouche, foie gras royal, cured tuna, pan-fried stone sea bass, smoked duck and finally a strawberry plate for dessert. I'm firmly of the opinion that the chef, Mickael Viljanen, is probably the best operating in Ireland right now (although he has some tough competition too).

This was my second visit to the Greenhouse, and I wouldn't hestitate to recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Just have to wait awhile until I've built up babysitting credit with the grandparents ;-)

We were in Cork last weekend, and finally we got to try out Fishy Fishy restaurant in Kinsale.
    We arrived early enough for lunch so managed to get a table upstairs. Within 5 minutes the place completely packed.
    We shared seafood chowder and steamed mussels for starters. The chowder now, ah man... was something else. It was a light tomato base, none of the stodgy creamy ones you'd normally get. I could eat a whole pot of this. But glad I didn't, cause the mussels were divine too.
    After I sucked every morsel and drips from the shells, we moved on to having their Warm Salad of Chilli Seafood, which I would have never ordered by just looking at the menu, and also medium-rare pan seared yellow fin tuna asian style with rice and wasabi mayo and pickled ginger. The salad portion was huge, and was seriously delicious with generous chunks of seafood selection. The tuna was also very very tasty altogether. If only I could lick the plate...
    Our two tots had grilled salmon with potatoes, and I appreciate how their food was brought out first in no time so they weren't left waiting with the adults' and saved us all the tantrums and screaming like a bunch of baboons.
    We passed on dessert as I've no room left for it.

No doubt this is one of THE place to go for your seafood. 'Til we meet again, Fishy Fishy...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

jibberjive wrote: »
    We recently had the tasting menu in Sabor Brazil, it was fantastic! One of the best meals we've had on a very long time & it was on a groupon deal too. Food is very different, based around Brazillian influence but still not so adventurous that there wouldn't be something for everyone. They are also very accommodating if there is something you would like to change on the menu. We've eaten there a couple of times & it could equal L'Ecrivian

Was thinking of going here until i seen they had a groupon deal going.
    Call me odd.. but i dont want to be the only couple in a restaurant paying full whack when everyone else is getting it for half price :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Mrs Fox, if you liked Fishy Fishy in cork, you'd love Oysters down here as well. It's in the Clarion in the city center.

pwurple wrote: »
    Mrs Fox, if you liked Fishy Fishy in cork, you'd love Oysters down here as well. It's in the Clarion in the city center.

We stayed in the Clarion early last year for work, and I remember having a look at the restaurant menu which looked pretty impressive (I couldn't remember it being called Oysters though), but there wasn't a soul around, plus Mr Fox has this thing about restaurants in hotels being mediocre, which I sometimes disagree (Riverside restaurant in Kilkenny River Court hotel is excellent). We were Tripadvisored into going to Strasbourg Goose instead -- one of the best valued meal I've had there; €20 for 3 good course meal, simple hand-written photocopied menu, and the place was jammed.
    But now that you've mentioned I will give Oysters a go the next time. Thanks pwurple :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It's only open since June 2012 so it might not have been Oysters you were looking at. Before that, it was Augustine's, but that closed in February 2012. Chances are, you might have been looking at Kudos? It's next to the reception, whereas Oysters is down the back :).

Faith wrote: »
    It's only open since June 2012 so it might not have been Oysters you were looking at. Before that, it was Augustine's, but that closed in February 2012. Chances are, you might have been looking at Kudos? It's next to the reception, whereas Oysters is down the back :).

I'm sure it wasn't Kudos, which had more of a lounge/bar kind of menu.
    It's the restaurant at the back, darkly decorated, has a fireplace feature or some sort? I know it's early 2012 because I remember being heavily pregnant around that time.
    Was Augustine's any good though?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I never ate in Augustine's sadly, but it was supposed to be fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Augustine's was bloody amazing. Was gutted when it closed. It was my fav place in Cork when it was over on Washington street, very cosy bustling kind of place. I'm not sure did it suit the atmosphere in the clarion. It was fine dining, so I think people found it intimidating/expensive. I heard the new place Gallo and Galetti in wilton is run by the same people as augustines was, but I'm not sure. That place is good too, but a very different style, relxed italian food.

Oysters is very good anyway, even though I'm sorry augustines is gone. That seafood chowder with the samphire in it just pips the fishy fishy chowder I think. I would be surprised if it was empty, I've had difficultly getting reservations there. Must have been the previous one.

pwurple wrote: »
    I heard the new place Gallo and Galetti in wilton is run by the same people as augustines was, but I'm not sure. That place is good too, but a very different style, relxed italian food.

Yup, Brendan Cashman, previously the chef at Augustine's is now the chef at Gallo & Galetti. It's damn nice too.

We went for dinner in The Hollow Bar & Restaurant near Ramsgrange in Co Wexford at the weekend. Apparently it is reknowned for its seafood & I suspect is regarded as a bit of a local hidden treasure.

I have to say - the food was delicious. Everything from the hot seafood platter (ling, whiting, mussels, haddock, plaice, crab cakes) to the lamb burgers were super & quite reasonably priced too. I'll be honest & say that the fish was some of the best I have ever had.

But would I go back? No.

The 'restaurant' is just the former lounge bar with the tables rearranged. It completely lacks atmosphere. I usually don't put too much pass on ambience as I feel that good company (which I had) can make up for it. However, this place is special & the atmosphere sucked.

Also, despite arriving early for a drink it the bar & announcing ourselves - still when we were ushered to our tables they hadn't even been laid. Even after sitting down the side plates were put on the table in stacks for us to place ourselves. They also tried to give one of our party with a dish they hadn't ordered in the most ridiculous way - "Sorry, we don't have any fish pies left." FFS - we were practically the first guests to arrive & it became apparent during the evening that there were plenty of fish pies as they were also being served to other guests around us.

Rick Stein quality fish dishes with Basil Fawlty quality service. :(

Has anyone been to Red Torch Ginger on St Andrew's St. Dublin?
    Was this Siam Thai before?

A friend booked a table for us tomorrow and she swears by it. Only thing is she's the kind who goes into Thais and orders the same thing because she's not into venturing other dishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

That place seems to have a great reputation anyway, I have heard good reports about it but then not sure how serious the people giving the reports are about their food.

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Has anyone been to Red Torch Ginger on St Andrew's St. Dublin?
    Was this Siam Thai before?

A friend booked a table for us tomorrow and she swears by it. Only thing is she's the kind who goes into Thais and orders the same thing because she's not into venturing other dishes.

The cocktails are pretty nice there. It's a good decent-standard Thai restaurant.

dudara wrote: »
    The cocktails are pretty nice there. It's a good decent-standard Thai restaurant.

Ooooooooo very important to have nice cocktails! Thanks :)

Double thumbs up on Red Torch Ginger.
    We were half an hour late (slap wrist), but the lovely front staff didn't make a fuss at all. The place was buzzing, queues trying to get in.
    Dived straight into cocktails - they were very generous in size and pretty outstanding too, great value.
    We ordered between us:
    duck green curry - seriously delicious, light curry with chunks of vegetables and slices of roast duck that was so tender and crispy on the outside, and didn't leave a certain gamey after taste.
    Fillet of beef stirfry which I can't exactly the name of it - mild but very very tender and packed with flavour.
    Stirfry chicken in chilli and basil - beautiful, but maybe I should've gone for a seafood dish instead.
    Prawn pad Thai - lovely, a tad sweet but very tasty.
    Pavlova for dessert. Yum.

I highly recommend this place. Good good food, and I can't wait to go back and try others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Double thumbs up on Red Torch Ginger.
    We were half an hour late (slap wrist), but the lovely front staff didn't make a fuss at all. The place was buzzing, queues trying to get in.
    Dived straight into cocktails - they were very generous in size and pretty outstanding too, great value.
    We ordered between us:
    duck green curry - seriously delicious, light curry with chunks of vegetables and slices of roast duck that was so tender and crispy on the outside, and didn't leave a certain gamey after taste.
    Fillet of beef stirfry which I can't exactly the name of it - mild but very very tender and packed with flavour.
    Stirfry chicken in chilli and basil - beautiful, but maybe I should've gone for a seafood dish instead.
    Prawn pad Thai - lovely, a tad sweet but very tasty.
    Pavlova for dessert. Yum.
    Thanks all....just bought a meal voucher for here-Christmas has officially begun!!!!:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Visited Zunis and Campagne in Kilkenny over the last month.

Both served fabulous food. I was impressed with both especially with the scallops in Zunis and their salted caramel cheesecake.

In terms of setting, I prefered Campagne as the tables were further apart and it was more private.

Advertisement