Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The future of Free Travel Passes being flagged again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

trellheim wrote: »
    Once we chip the passes and force a tag-on, we can audit the use. There are several data mining programs that can be used to check fraudulent use.

( BTW the same should be done for all season tickets across all modes )

Without wishing to steal your thunder Trellheim,you are on the right track ( ;))

One of the less reported aspects of Joan Burtons tenure thus far in the DSP is the belated recognition of just how much expensive legwork can be eradicated by judicious sharing of already stored data.

This sharing and x-referencing has now begun within the DSP over several levels and is showing substantial results.

However,one element which many older folk will have problems with is the presentation of a Pass to a reader or driver.(Although the same demographic in Northern Ireland have no such problem )

Large numbers of my regulars merely tap their breast and usher in whomever happens to be beside them in the full expectation of no questions being asked.

However when I do my job and ask to see the relevant entitlement the following scenario is the usual result....
    Jehuty42: I witnessed two separate incidents of older passengers getting very indignant when the driver insisted on asking to see their pass, rather than letting them just walk on.

Again,I have to remark upon the entirely different mindset of the Northern Ireland "Senior SmartPass Concession".......probably something to do with that last word.....Concession ?

I would also have to differ with Foggy_Lad in his opinion that the substantial number of folk availing of Free Travel on misappropriated,outdated or otherwise illicit documents will simply shrug their shoulders and suddenly pay up....Not a Chance.:rolleyes:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

will you allow them travel if they don't pay up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭trellheim

That will surely not be allowed? would Data protection legislation not protect passengers from this kind of intrusion?

It isn't a DP violation, for example, if the concepts are

a: to establish eligibility for use. DSP could require CIE companies to provide usage data to establish a basis for payment.

b. Revenue enforcement; if the same pass is used on widely separated parts of the transport network within a short timeframe it's likely someone's riding illegally.

All goes to show that as long as the data is collected for certain clearly defined purposes and not otherwise.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/Fares--Tickets/Free-Travel-Scheme-/

It isn't a DP violation, for example, if the concepts are

a: to establish eligibility for use. DSP could require CIE companies to provide usage data to establish a basis for payment.

This would have to be anonymous data not linking individual users to any particular route but only identifying a fare for the purpose of payment

b. Revenue enforcement; if the same pass is used on widely separated parts of the transport network within a short timeframe it's likely someone's riding illegally.

This facility is already available by using the pps number on all Rail tickets issued but Irish Rail fraudulently issue return tickets to most who ask for a single so had to stop using the pps number for fraud prevention!

Their fraud is facilitating travel pass fraud

All goes to show that as long as the data is collected for certain clearly defined purposes and not otherwise.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/Fares--Tickets/Free-Travel-Scheme-/
    There are rules about using data collected by such systems and just because someone has an entitlement to free travel is not a licence to ride an intercity train through their civil rights!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

foggy_lad wrote: »
    This would have to be anonymous data not linking individual users to any particular route but only identifying a fare for the purpose of payment

All it's doing is linking a ticket/pass to travel and routes. While the ticket/pass number and route data may be available to a number of bodies the contact details behind the number would be restricted and hence no DP breach.

• Advertisement

All it's doing is linking a ticket/pass to travel and routes. While the ticket/pass number and route data may be available to a number of bodies the contact details behind the number would be restricted and hence no DP breach.
    Why is there no free travel smart card already if it is all that simple? I thought the hold up was due to data protection issues? There is a leap card of sorts now but still no word of when or even if there will definitely be a free travel version or if the free travel smart card still being talked about will even be compatible.

Why is there no free travel smart card already if it is all that simple? I thought the hold up was due to data protection issues? There is a leap card of sorts now but still no word of when or even if there will definitely be a free travel version or if the free travel smart card still being talked about will even be compatible.

You thought incorrectly Foggy_Lad.

The decision to convert the Free Travel Pass to contactless card has already (belatedly) been taken.

As with most Civil Service related projects,the Free Travel Pass issue revolved around the DSP seeking the cheapest possible option open to it.

Up to very recently the Free Travel Scheme was essentially an interdepartmental transfer of funds,with the CIE group being the the largest recipient by a long shot.

However,with the advance in Public Transport Ticketing Technology,it rapidly became apparent that maintaining the tried and trusted Annual Lump Sum, Corn Flakes Box combination was now becoming a VERY large obstacle indeed.

One of the major delays to the LeapCard project was prevarication on the DSP's part about whether it would integrate with LeapCard (An ideal,discreet and sensible solution,which SHOULD have been insisted upon at the outset of LeapCard 12 years ago).

The final decision by the DSP to "Get-Smart" was only taken in late 2010 with a further delay then ensuing as to which contactless protocol was to be utilized.

The current situation is the DSP putting the final touches to it's Smart Card launch,which remember,is to cover all current DSP payments.

http://www.cfit.ie/news-and-commentary-archive/477-publicservicesmartcard

Some of the concerns supposedly worrying individuals re "Privacy" are thoroughly dealt with in this 2011 report prepared for the EU Commission.

http://www.piafproject.eu/ref/PIAF_D1_21_Sept_2011.pdf

The Irish section occupies Pages 75-85.

The paragraph I felt most succinctly dealt with the privacy issue reads thus....
    Arts 40-44 of the Irish Constitution (1937) provide for the fundamental rights protection.
    However,the Constitution does not explicitly refer to the protection of privacy.
    According to the Irish Supreme Court,an individual may invoke Article 40(3)(1) to established an implied right to privacy: "The State guarantees in it's laws to respect,and as far as practicable,by it's laws to defend and vindicate the personal rights of the citizen"

The DSP's new Smart Card will be the primary personal record of the holders DSP information (Including Medical records).

My reading of the Constitutional summation appears to indicate that this "privacy" issue comes far down the line of stuff the DSP is worrying about.

The alternative,of course,is to pay one's fare and thereby stay under the radar ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Using PPS number on tickets IS a DP breach if I recall correctly, as it leads to identity theft.

this problems been solved several times though and in line with DP.

If you "Paddy Bus Rider" want to ride a bus using a pass, using available data sources to check your eligibility to do so seems reasonable. Further, using that same data to check that the same pass isn't tagging on all over the network is also reasonable.

Now if you wanted to make a case that the data should be anonymized after a few days ( used for no more than is needed ) then I'd be all on your side. that way you can track ridership without going back to names.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,893 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Am I alone in wondering why DSP card holders can't be moved to Leap cards or other conventional annual travel passes, along with the appropiate ID cards? That way, those who qualify for free travel get sent out their appropiate pass and the old cards are discounted. Granted, some people will have issues getting ID cards and there will be those who have companion passes but they would be in the minority and it could be addressed with some forethought. CIE would benefit as they would be in a better position to keep track of how many passes are issued and how many trips are made on them, making their passenger surveying a lot easier. Passes can be cancelled if abused, lost or if people no longer are eligible though changing circumstances, death, emigration etc.

Using PPS number on tickets IS a DP breach if I recall correctly, as it leads to identity theft.

this problems been solved several times though and in line with DP.

If you "Paddy Bus Rider" want to ride a bus using a pass, using available data sources to check your eligibility to do so seems reasonable. Further, using that same data to check that the same pass isn't tagging on all over the network is also reasonable.

Now if you wanted to make a case that the data should be anonymized after a few days ( used for no more than is needed ) then I'd be all on your side. that way you can track ridership without going back to names.
    Yes this is how I was seeing any personal data being used in relation to the free travel scheme, only used to prevent fraudulent misuse and data only kept for as long as is necessary to prevent fraudulent use.

http://www.piafproject.eu/ref/PIAF_D1_21_Sept_2011.pdf
    Arts. 40-44 of the Irish Constitution (1937) provide for the fundamental rights protection.
    However, the Constitution does not explicitly refer to the protection of privacy. According to
    the Irish Supreme Court, an individual may invoke Art. 40(3)(1) to establish an implied right
    to privacy: “the State guarantees in its laws to respect, and, as far as practicable, by its laws
    to defend and vindicate the personal rights of the citizen.”9 The European Convention of
    Human Rights Act, 2003 gave further effect of the ECHR in Irish law.
    this says to me that the guarantee to respect the right to privacy of citizens is absolute and that the right to a defence and vindication of those rights by the state and law is subject to the practicality of the defence and vindication.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

As a paying customer, should I not have privacy too? I don't want everyone to know I'm not using a free travel pass when they see my shameful regular ticket. I don't want them to know how much I'm paying when I have to say it to the bus driver. My constitutional right to privacy is being infringed every day on public transport.

Am I alone in wondering why DSP card holders can't be moved to Leap cards or other conventional annual travel passes, along with the appropiate ID cards? That way, those who qualify for free travel get sent out their appropiate pass and the old cards are discounted. Granted, some people will have issues getting ID cards and there will be those who have companion passes but they would be in the minority and it could be addressed with some forethought. CIE would benefit as they would be in a better position to keep track of how many passes are issued and how many trips are made on them, making their passenger surveying a lot easier. Passes can be cancelled if abused, lost or if people no longer are eligible though changing circumstances, death, emigration etc.
    For many years the option has been there to create a new card whether a smart card or photo-id card for use by free travel pass holders but nothing was ever done as there was plenty of money and rather than try to regulate who had a pass they were too busy thinking of ways of adding more people to the list of those who qualify.

One Very simple way to almost completely cut out fraud overnight is to change the rules of the scheme so that a passport or Gardai age card is required to use your pass. the photopass available is useless as anyone can go and claim they are the pass holder and get the photopass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

One Very simple way to almost completely cut out fraud overnight is to change the rules of the scheme so that a passport or Gardai age card is required to use your pass. the photopass available is useless as anyone can go and claim they are the pass holder and get the photopass.
    they cant do that
    some people dont have a photo id of any type!

they cant do that
    some people dont have a photo id of any type!
    They can easily get a Gardai Age card.

They can easily get a Gardai Age card.
    but you forget

that costs a tenner

pensioners (despite their higher tax free allowance, free medical, travel, esb, telephone, fuel and in most cases in houses they own so no accomodation costs - and zero childcare and accompanying costs that a 30 something does have) cannot possibly find such a massive amount of cash like a tenner from their minimum 200euro+ weekly disposable income.

sure remember the outcry when it was asked for 50c from them for medicines?
    A tenner is 20times that

but you forget

that costs a tenner

pensioners (despite their higher tax free allowance, free medical, travel, esb, telephone, fuel and in most cases in houses they own so no accomodation costs - and zero childcare and accompanying costs that a 30 something does have) cannot possibly find such a massive amount of cash like a tenner from their minimum 200euro+ weekly disposable income.

sure remember the outcry when it was asked for 50c from them for medicines?
    A tenner is 20times that
    It is Quite obvious some people just want something to whing and moan about rather than looking for real solutions to issues that are very easy to address!

We all know the Germans have all but taken control of Ireland but it really feels more like the Nazi party are behind much of the rubbish being proposed and suggested regarding benefits paid to the elderly and disabled.

It is Quite obvious some people just want something to whing and moan about rather than looking for real solutions to issues that are very easy to address!

Like whinging about the apartheid of having a different coloured ticket to other passengers, rather than looking for real solution to the issues of free travel pass abuse?

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    Like whinging about the apartheid of having a different coloured ticket to other passengers, rather than looking for real solution to the issues of free travel pass abuse?
    A real solution would be to insist on a passport or Gardai age card be shown with every free pass but this has been rubbished. it is a point i have made before and it really should be implemented but people would rather moan about fraud and misuse than try to stop it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

We all know the Germans have all but taken control of Ireland but it really feels more like the Nazi party are behind much of the rubbish being proposed and suggested regarding benefits paid to the elderly and disabled.

Awesome when did this happen, I must get an ICE train back to Cork later..

Using my pass.....

A real solution would be to insist on a passport or Gardai age card be shown with every free pass but this has been rubbished. it is a point i have made before and it really should be implemented but people would rather moan about fraud and misuse than try to stop it!
    im not rubbishing it.

im just expressing a frustration that a country running a current acount defecit in the billions (simply due to spending too much, the banks are a separate issue) has an untouchable grey minority that cant even be asked for 50c for medicines despite them having neglible other outgoings due to their getting everything for free.

You are right that they should be made show ID and the age card is the perfect idea except it would have to be free for pensioners or there would be an outcry. (ironically, young ones with no income at all will still have to pay a tenner for the age card!)

• Advertisement

im not rubbishing it.

im just expressing a frustration that a country running a current acount defecit in the billions (simply due to spending too much, the banks are a separate issue) has an untouchable grey minority that cant even be asked for 50c for medicines despite them having neglible other outgoings due to their getting everything for free.

You are right that they should be made show ID and the age card is the perfect idea except it would have to be free for pensioners or there would be an outcry. (ironically, young ones with no income at all will still have to pay a tenner for the age card!)
    Any elderly/disabled people I know are not the wealthy socialites some people seem to think, they spend much of their income on heating and travel in taxis and much of the rest on looking after their families the best they can, many have sons daughters or grandchildren that are not doing so well and they will often help out and leave themselves short in the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

A lot of people posting on here seem to be under a misconception. When the late unlamented CJH made one of his few unselfish decisions, to allow free travel for pensioners, it was for the very reason that they could travel the length and breadth of the country. It was felt that this would lead to a better quality of life for older people, thereby improving health and consequently reducing pressure on the Health service. So, for those of you who complain about John and Mary taking the train to Cork or Belfast or wherever, that's what was envisaged in the first place.

bmaxi wrote: »
    A lot of people posting on here seem to be under a misconception. When the late unlamented CJH made one of his few unselfish decisions, to allow free travel for pensioners, it was for the very reason that they could travel the length and breadth of the country.

No, it was to help buy their vote. Don't be naive.

Whatever your opinion might be of any ulterior motive, the stated reason was as I said.

When looking at this I was amazed there is no statutory basis for the Free travel scheme, no legal rules or anything, just guidelines. DSFA could kill it tomorrow and be within their rights.

When looking at this I was amazed there is no statutory basis for the Free travel scheme, no legal rules or anything, just guidelines. DSFA could kill it tomorrow and be within their rights.
    That would certainly stir things up!

Your starting to warm-up now Trellheim.....;)

They'd be committing political hari-kiri, no Irish government is going to do that. Even Frau Merkel, when she becomes Taoiseach would baulk.
    It realy amazes and saddens me, the animosity some people have against providing this facility for our older generation, reminds me of the boy who took his ball home when he was knocked out of the game. " If I can't play, nobody can".

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Your starting to warm-up now Trellheim.....;)
    But how long would it be before any party that removes the travel pass joins the ranks of fianna fail in the sewer of politics? They would never get elected again!

There is also a human issue to be considered as stated elsewhere most journeys taken by disabled elderly and mobility impaired people living in larger towns will cost far more than for able bodied people because of things like taxis to and from their local station or bus stop costing at least €12 each trip and this cost increases for people living in more rural areas, and it is not enough to tell people who have lived and worked in a community all their lives to move into some anonymous sheltered housing slum in a city, this only diminishes their quality os life!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

bmaxi wrote: »
    It realy amazes and saddens me, the animosity some people have against providing this facility for our older generation,

No animosity against our older generation using it

But you feel like a sucker paying every day when the local druggies have passes and somehow managed to qualify for disability

If the scheme was just for pensioners there would be a lot less people talking about it.

But it's a lot wider then that and there are eight bullet points here for it
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/extra_social_welfare_benefits/free_travel.html#l1f4da

Yet people post here about pensioners as if they are the only ones who qualify

Advertisement