Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trans Advice - Question and Concerns

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭WantToBeRose

Damn it! Oh well, it will be worth it in the end. :)
    I'm going to drive up from Galway on the motorway this time, sick of trains and buses:mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Will be driving myself when I get another appointment. Don't like the idea of having to trek from heuston station to loughlinstown.

Will be driving myself when I get another appointment. Don't like the idea of having to trek from heuston station to loughlinstown.

I got a taxi from the station out to rochestown logde where I was staying for the night, cost me 50 euro!

I was such a fool not to learn the bus timetable beforehand. Robbed myself.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Atleast you'll know for next time. I have to start ringing them again tomorrow to try and get an appointment. My mum doesn't want me to go through with it, so it will be a case of, "I have a job interview with xyz", hence arriving to loughlinstown in a shirt and tie :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

I'm right in believing that there's no voice therapists from Transsexuals in Ireland?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It's very very easy - you just get on a 145 bus at Houston and get off across the road from the hospital

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Freiheit wrote: »
    I'm right in believing that there's no voice therapists from Transsexuals in Ireland?.

Not true anymore! Dr. Kelly has one working out of his practice, met her at a TENI meeting, and she seems really nice!

Oh really would you be able to provide me with contact details please?:)

Meesared wrote: »
    Not true anymore! Dr. Kelly has one working out of his practice, met her at a TENI meeting, and she seems really nice!

Wow that would be so handy! It's hard to practice on ones own -_-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭deirdre_dub

Freiheit wrote: »
    Oh really would you be able to provide me with contact details please?:)
    http://www.diamondtherapy.eu/

Note that there is a course on speech for trans people starting in Outhouse on Wednesday week.

• Advertisement

Thanks Deirdre,there's no chance of me being able to attend a Dublin based course,but maybe a few individual appointments would be possible.

damn, everything is in Dublin :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Leeway5555

Does anyone know if there is any alternative to loughlinstown? The place is driving me crazy :(

Your alternative is charing cross in th UK, but it's private. So it will cost between travel and diagnosis first, then hormones. It's not ideal sadly :(

Your alternative is charing cross in th UK, but it's private. So it will cost between travel and diagnosis first, then hormones. It's not ideal sadly :(
    Actually, that isn't the only alternative.

There are a number of private doctors in the UK who will see you and treat you (well). I've received the names of some from my friends in the UK -

- Richard Curtis (http://www.transhealth.co.uk/gender/gender_clinic.html)
    - Michael Perring (http://www.optimalhealth.org.uk/)
    - Leighton Seal (http://gendercare.co.uk/leighton-seal.html)

I believe TENI are (finally!!!) going to set up a patients representative group in L'town, though I hope the group will actually represent the patients to O'Shea, and not be used by O'Shea to represent him to his patients!!!

Just out of curiosity - what is it about L'town that is driving you crazy? (Not that I can't guess the answer! :( )

It's safe to say Loughlinstown is doing everyones nut in. Mine especially. I had to cancel my appointment for last August and I've constantly rang them since for a new appointment. I'm at the end of my rope at the moment and I can't afford to go to the UK for treatment.

It's safe to say Loughlinstown is doing everyones nut in. Mine especially. I had to cancel my appointment for last August and I've constantly rang them since for a new appointment. I'm at the end of my rope at the moment and I can't afford to go to the UK for treatment.
    If you can, you might consider going to L'town, and just speaking to someone in the endo department. They cannot not deal with someone sitting in front of them who isn't leaving until they get an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Leeway5555

Im in exactly the same situation, any time they actually answer the phone I get told they will call me back, which inevitably never happens :(
    Im now at the point where I am going to have to go all the way down there in person and start some kind of a fight :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Joanne Dub

Hiya all,
    I went to my GP and told him I was self medicating and I was looking for a referral to somewhere that could monitor my meds and keep some kind of a watchful eye over me I suppose,that was at the start of October and nothing yet,but reading through the posts here,I'm not really surprised at the lack of a response.I'm 4 months into my HRT and feel absolutely great.

I know that self medication is not really the way to be going,but with my job I only get to spend 3/4 days a month at home so sticking to rigid appointments could be a bit of a problem,which was something that my GP explained in his referral letter.
    My GP was great,he took my bloods and gave me loads of advice on tell tale signs of troubles that might arise through self medicating.
    On the plus side of it,I can buy my meds abroad,over the counter in pharmacies for about 25 euro per month,

I only discovered this thread over the weekend and I must say,it's a credit to all who post here,with plenty of useful information,with support groups and therapy providers etc that I didn't even know existed,

I'm happy for you...I wish you the best
    F

• Advertisement

It's been awhile since I posted here so I thought I'd give a little update.

Went to another appointment in Loughlinstown last week and it seems things are actually going to start rolling from now on. I spoke to Dr O'Shea this time. I have some issues with my iron levels which showed up in my last blood test and again in my most recent one. Hemochromatosis to be exact. It's also affected my liver so I'm going to have to get a scan on that. I have three months to get all that sorted until my next appointment which will include seeing their resident Psycologist, and if he gives the go ahead I'll get my hormones the same day.

Can anyone give me any advice on what I can use these next three months for to prepare for transition? I haven't told anyone about my little secret yet but I do have a friend I feel I can trust. So that might happen soon enough. I'm gradually building confidence to tell my parents, my mother especially but it will be awhile before I do.

Also, a question about Laser Hair Removal. I went to a Therapie clinic yesterday and the woman brought me in to check out if I'm suitable for it. I'm a redhead and have some very fair body hair. She looked at my facial hair and said I'm on the border of being able to be treated, she said it would get rid of the majority of the hair but some would remain since my testosterone would produce more. She explained how in a woman it's alot easier to get rid of it with little maintanence because of the estrogen. So this got me wondering. Would I be better off waiting until I get hormones before starting Laser Hair Removel or should I go ahead and start it anyway? It would take 6 months before I'd be clear of most of the hair. Or should I explain my situation to the woman and see what she thinks?

Any replies would be appreciated :)

RRJ.

Can anyone give me any advice on what I can use these next three months for to prepare for transition? I haven't told anyone about my little secret yet but I do have a friend I feel I can trust. So that might happen soon enough. I'm gradually building confidence to tell my parents, my mother especially but it will be awhile before I do.
    It's hard to give advice, as everyone's situation and everyone's needs are different. But it sounds like you are on a good track.
    Also, a question about Laser Hair Removal. I went to a Therapie clinic yesterday and the woman brought me in to check out if I'm suitable for it. I'm a redhead and have some very fair body hair. She looked at my facial hair and said I'm on the border of being able to be treated, she said it would get rid of the majority of the hair but some would remain since my testosterone would produce more. She explained how in a woman it's alot easier to get rid of it with little maintanence because of the estrogen. So this got me wondering. Would I be better off waiting until I get hormones before starting Laser Hair Removel or should I go ahead and start it anyway? It would take 6 months before I'd be clear of most of the hair. Or should I explain my situation to the woman and see what she thinks?
    Your testosterone levels should be near zero within a few months of starting HRT.

I'd explain your situation to the therapist. They probably are already treating trans women. I went to a Therapie clinic for my hair removal, and they have been great with me.

For what it's worth, I started hair removal before I started HRT. However, my hair was quite dark...

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

Anyone have experience with Bernie Fitzgerald? (Johnstown)

Thanks Deirdre!
    I'll go ahead and start Laser treatment then. At least it will be the start of my phsyical transition!:D

hare05 wrote: »
    Anyone have experience with Bernie Fitzgerald? (Johnstown)
    I've met her on a few occassions. She's quite well versed in trans issues. As for how she is as a therapist - I've only had one, short, informal session with her, and it was quite good.

However, therapists are always a your-milage-may-vary thing. If you don't personally 'click' with a therapist, then it isn't going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

I've met her on a few occassions. She's quite well versed in trans issues. As for how she is as a therapist - I've only had one, short, informal session with her, and it was quite good.

However, therapists are always a your-milage-may-vary thing. If you don't personally 'click' with a therapist, then it isn't going to work.

Had one session with her too, she was friendly but she seemed very focused on the 'clothing' aspect of things. Kept talking about fake boob inserts / etc :confused:

hare05 wrote: »
    Had one session with her too, she was friendly but she seemed very focused on the 'clothing' aspect of things. Kept talking about fake boob inserts / etc :confused:
    One thing that I've noticed about the various therapists I've been with - a bad dynamic tends to be set up whereby I feel that the therapist is "the expert", and so when they are talking about something, I tend to believe that the reason must be because "it needs to be talked about".

The truth is that the thing that needs to be talked about in a session is the thing that you need to talk about. If the session has gone off on a complete tangent, and there is a different subject you need to see addressed, speak up - you are the expert, not your therapist. If you can't steer the session in the general direction you need, then there may be something fundamentally wrong with the relationship somewhere.

Not saying that is what happened with you, Hare, but I know it is something that has often happened with me. It's only recently that I've become good at saying to my therapist - "hang on - what about this ...".

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Louisevb

@wantoberose
    Hair removal works better during hormone treatment... I'd wait for the hormones to kick in first before starting any kind of lazer hair removal... Even yet it is expensive and the testerone will fight it all the way. Save your money

Secondly therapists or counsellors who are trained in gender issues are thin on the ground. If you go to one they should be listening to you. They should not be leading the conversation and taking you to places where they want to go... But they should suggest areas that you want to look at but not give advice. It's afine line. Above all they should be a listener

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Bernie is newly qualified and from meeting her socially wasn't all that impressed. I think she has a trans child though and I don't doubt that her intentions are good. She referred to me as pretty and I felt it was a bit stereotypical.

• Advertisement

Louisevb wrote: »
    @wantoberose
    Hair removal works better during hormone treatment... I'd wait for the hormones to kick in first before starting any kind of lazer hair removal... Even yet it is expensive and the testerone will fight it all the way. Save your money

Funny you should say that. My consultation didn't go the way I wanted it to. It turns out that since I have red hair, my facial hair wouldn't be able to be lasered, it would be pointless. She said that it wouldn't be worth getting done. I just blurted out then that I was starting HRT in a few months and asked if it would work then and she said that if I come back once I start it she'll see if there's any difference.

I'm so scared now that I might not be able get rid of my facial hair. I'll have to be the bearded lady :( haha

Advertisement