Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Areas to avoid in D15

• 24-02-2012 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Moving to the D15 area in June (part that is south of the N3) just would like to know of areas/roads/estates to avoid when looking for a place to rent. We have a baby so would like to feel safe, you know yourself.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Most parts of D15 are perfectly safe.

Probably better if you put up the specific areas you are thinking of and we can say what they are like.

D15 is a big area and there are many estates within those areas.

Are you thinking of any of the following areas?
    Blanchardstown
    Castleknock
    Ongar
    Tyrellstown
    Clonsilla

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭lilymc

Most parts of D15 are perfectly safe.

Probably better if you put up the specific areas you are thinking of and we can say what they are like.

D15 is a big area and there are many estates within those areas.

Are you thinking of any of the following areas?
    Blanchardstown
    Castleknock
    Ongar
    Tyrellstown
    Clonsilla

Yes, Blanchardstown, Castleknock, Clonsilla, Coolmine & Carpenterstown. These are the areas we are considering after looking at a map as they are close enough to train stations to commute. If you know anything about them areas it would be a great help.

lilymc wrote: »
    Yes, Blanchardstown, Castleknock, Clonsilla, Coolmine & Carpenterstown. These are the areas we are considering after looking at a map as they are close enough to train stations to commute. If you know anything about them areas it would be a great help.

All really safe areas!

Feel free to post which specific estates you are looking at to get views on these....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

All really safe areas!

Depends on how you define safe I guess. I've lived in Clonsilla 26 years and the last 18 months or so have been the worst I've ever known in terms of crime and vandalism. I hate to criticise the area I'm from, but it certainly isn't a bed of roses at the moment. One quick look through the D15 Burglaries thread will show you that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,002 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

True, but then most areas in Dublin are experiencing the same from what I've heard - it seems to be more a factor related to the current times than a geographic thing.

I think the OP would be naive to expect a crime-free area in a major city, but from my experience and from reading this forum for the past 5 or 6 years, the areas mentioned above are pretty safe and good places to live in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I've lived all over Dublin and am currently living beside the Clonsilla train station. It's the quietest and safest place I've lived so far.

There is an increase in thefts & burglaries in the area, but I think that's happening everywhere. The risk can be mitigated with some extra security measures.

I've lived all over Dublin and am currently living beside the Clonsilla train station. It's the quietest and safest place I've lived so far.

I can't be further from a kilometre away from you and a gangload of scumbags just turned up for the weekly drug'n'booze party followed by a rampage of car-window smashing and burglaries...

:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    I can't be further from a kilometre away from you and a gangload of scumbags just turned up for the weekly drug'n'booze party followed by a rampage of car-window smashing and burglaries...

:(

I'm sorrry for you about this. But that is not happening in every single house in D15 :confused:

This is not a d15 specific issue I.e. Can and does happen in areas all over Dublin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Op, Yes some estates in the above areas are near train station, some for walking, some for driving. But with driving you have to think of parking.

At this point you're going to have to get to estate level, post the estate and we can respond with pros & cons, safety, commuting, amenities etc.

Happy to help! Just ask! Let us know what you're thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 twilight_2010

Hi,

I'm writing a local story about the level of crime in the area (I know several people who have been mugged recently) would any of you be willing to comment on the situation?

I should say it's a college assignment, so if you don't want to be in a newspaper, don't worry, it won't be published.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,002 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

twilight_2010 please take that request to this forum, thanks

Hi,

I'm writing a local story about the level of crime in the area (I know several people who have been mugged recently) would any of you be willing to comment on the situation?

I should say it's a college assignment, so if you don't want to be in a newspaper, don't worry, it won't be published.

Thanks!

I haven't heard of anyone being mugged.

Keep to the original topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

For the most part the areas you mentioned are safe. There are some areas of Blanchardstown with some dodgy inhabitants. A drive around the area will help you spot these potentially unsafe areas. The areas close to the train line are very safe areas.

Burglaries are on the rise all over the country unfortunately.

amdublin wrote: »
    Op, Yes some estates in the above areas are near train station, some for walking, some for driving. But with driving you have to think of parking.

At this point you're going to have to get to estate level, post the estate and we can respond with pros & cons, safety, commuting, amenities etc.

Happy to help! Just ask! Let us know what you're thinking.

Thanks for your reply. I don't know many estates as of yet but have seen a few options in Waterville, Verdemont, Huntstown, Lohunda and Woodbrook in Carpenterstown. There is so many places to rent i'm lost tbh! If you know any pros or cons of living there??

Thanks for your reply. I don't know many estates as of yet but have seen a few options in Waterville, Verdemont, Huntstown, Lohunda and Woodbrook in Carpenterstown. There is so many places to rent i'm lost tbh! If you know any pros or cons of living there??

^^^^

So waterville, verdemont & huntstown would not be within walking distance of the train.
    You'd be talking bus into town.
    If you are talking bus then verdermont & waterville would be better than huntstown (quicker to get on to the main road into town)

Lohunda would be within walking distance of the train station.

I'm not great on the carpenterstown area!

Laurel lodge might be one to consider?

Out of all the above estates you mentioned, in my opinion, Huntsown would be the "least safe".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

In general how well an area looks, is maintained will be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Carpenterstown and Laurel Lodge are both close to train and quite safe. You also have bus services.

Waterville is not close to train, it is not bad though, know quite a few people living there and no problems. It is straight across from Corduff though, and whilst it is better now, it has quite the reputation.

Verdemont is beside shopping centre, I would not live her though only because it has always seemed extremely noisy and cramped.

All the estates around roselawn area are quite good and settled down, close to train and bus, it is an older area so less kids and teens.

Personally, if I was choosing, I would avoid all the hartstown/huntstown/woodview/fortlawn/lohunda areas, not saying they are bad, just not my cup of tea. When it comes to d15, I would go for housing near the train line so you have train/bus, these housing areas tend to be safer and nicer too.

Carpenterstown and Laurel Lodge are both close to train and quite safe. You also have bus services.

Waterville is not close to train, it is not bad though, know quite a few people living there and no problems. It is straight across from Corduff though, and whilst it is better now, it has quite the reputation.

Verdemont is beside shopping centre, I would not live her though only because it has always seemed extremely noisy and cramped.

All the estates around roselawn area are quite good and settled down, close to train and bus, it is an older area so less kids and teens.

Personally, if I was choosing, I would avoid all the hartstown/huntstown/woodview/fortlawn/lohunda areas, not saying they are bad, just not my cup of tea. When it comes to d15, I would go for housing near the train line so you have train/bus, these housing areas tend to be safer and nicer too.

Great info there, thanks very much. Was thinking myself I would prefer to be close to the train, just wanted to check out so other areas to, to keep options open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Even if trouble is limited to some parts of these the D15 areas mentioned I'd be inclined to look elsewhere as its better to be safe than to be sorry. There are plenty of nicer parts of dublin to live in where you have little to no chance of scumbags rather than an average chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

I disagree, you will get scumbags everywhere . No matter where you move into, you dont know who is the decent people and who to avoid until you have settled in. Posh areas doesnt mean no scumbags just more well to do scumbags.

The following places are all close to the train station and are all very safe:

St. Mochtas
    Limelawn
    Sorrel
    Charnwood
    Castlefield
    Portersgate (prob the nicest but maybe not a lot of houses available to rent here)
    Mount Symon
    Lambourne
    Lohunda (closer to bus)

+ Carpenterstown & Castleknock areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Great info there, thanks very much. Was thinking myself I would prefer to be close to the train, just wanted to check out so other areas to, to keep options open.

The areas of clonsilla that are mentioned are also serviced by the 39a bus which gets into town handy which is another option for you. Dont let posters on here from putting you off looking at any of the places mentioned , some have a decent community spirit than some of the so called nicer areas where people dont talk to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Balarrr Didiarr

Hi OP, I can't comment on a lot of areas in D15 but have lived in Woodbrook, Carpenterstown for a year (myself & partner). Very close to Coolmine train, liked it there. That was 4 yrs ago so I don't have the same insight now but it always felt safe. We live now in Laurel Lodge & have a baby, have been here 3 years and I really like this area, v close to Castleknock train station. These are the two spots in D15 I have living knowledge of so you can pm me anytime if you want any info or I'll post here if you have any questions on the areas & I'll do my best to help.

The following places are all close to the train station and are all very safe:

St. Mochtas
    Limelawn
    Sorrel
    Charnwood
    Castlefield
    Portersgate (prob the nicest but maybe not a lot of houses available to rent here)
    Mount Symon
    Lambourne
    Lohunda (closer to bus)

+ Carpenterstown & Castleknock areas.

I'm probably beginning to sound overly negative here, but I live in one of the above and have been a victim of crime on two occasions since September. I also know of at least half a dozen houses that have been burgled in my estate, and a similar number of cars vandalised and/or stolen.

It really does depend on your definition of safe, and I realise that Dublin as a whole may be experiencing similar issues to my area, but I wouldn't consider my estate overly "safe" at this moment in time. Same goes for most in the same area too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

I think wherever you live in D15 it has to be near the train line. The point about the likes of Hartstown / Huntstown or anywhere else being good or bad areas is moot in my opinion , as not being the near the train and having to rely on the 39/38 renders them redundant in my book. The 39 in particular would break your heart if you had to rely on it to get you in to the city centre in the mornings. Ive lived near the train all my life and find it invaluable compared to the bus!

So, on this basis the areas I would live in would be Carpenterstown, Clonsilla , Coolmine , Roselawn , Laurel Lodge or Castleknock. All safe nice areas as well. I live in Carpenterstown myself and its nice and quiet , never any hassle. Maybe a little boring! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I live in waterville - dead quiet and get the 8.12 bus so am in town in half an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭Polar101

Lohunda would be within walking distance of the train station.

It's not really any closer to a train station than Verdemont is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

If you find a particular place/area you like, I suggest driving by there at day, then at night to see if there is a change in atmosphere and finally again on the weekend/school day off just to see if there is evidence of gangs of kids/teenagers congregating in an intimidating manner. This might help you get a more comprehensive feel for the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

I haven't heard of anyone being mugged.
    half 10 in the morning broad daylight, mugging of a friend of mine ... a guy just sitting on the wall jumped off and pulled a knife outside superquinn (the tennis court end)

Out of all the above estates you mentioned, in my opinion, Huntsown would be the "least safe".
    Really? I agree parts of Huntstown, but Louhunda I thought would have been worse... maybe not....

Agreed the area around Roselawn/hazel lawn Rushbrook Raymor pk area is grand, not saying its crimefree and you don't get the odd egg chucked at your house, but I've not seen much in the way of violence bar that one mugging incident... and where isn't that sort of stuff happening...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement