Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nightclub lost my jacket

• 14-11-2011 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23 paul88

Hi guys

1st time user here!!

I was out in a nightclub one friday night and left my jacket in the cloakroom. At the end of the night i forgot to collect my jacket (My bad) the next day i rang the nightclub to see if i could come down and collect it as i still had my ticket. i was told by the nightclub the any lost or unclaim items get handed over to a company called wefoundit.ie and was told to contact them so i did they advised me they do not have it as the nightclub never haned over any jacket to them.

I rang the nightclub back and asked if they could check the cloakroom to see if it was still there as wefoundit.ie told me that they never recived it.
    The nightclub told me they do not have it!! but they will check again and told me to call them back in a day or two (how long does it take to check a cloak room)

It has been over 3 weeks now and it seems the eveytime i ring the nightclub they seem to not want to help me and just keep telling me someone will call me and speak to me about it they take my number and i never hear from them!!!!!

Is ther anything i can do to speed this up?

sounds like they do not have my jacket and just dont want to tell me?

my understanding is that we pay 2 euro to keep it safe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Any chance you can head down there yourself when it's open? Especially if it's part of a hotel you could head during the day and get them to look for it properly. Unfortunately they cover themselves with this, there's usually signs saying that you leave items at your own risk and lost/stolen items are not the responsibility of the club. So you're unlikely to get compensation if it can't be found, but it's definitely worth going down there and not leaving until you have some definitive answers, too easy to eb fobbed off over the phone. 3 weeks though, it's probably unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

They probably tried to nick it then; happens more often than it should. Unclaimed coats 'apparently' go to this other place instead of staying there. It certainly wouldnt ahve been moved in less than a day, I would say they are trying a fast one. Go down. Demand a manager. However, Id say youve left it far too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭maximoose

They say it's gone to wefoundit, wefoundit say they never got it

Sounds to be like a staff member nabbed it for themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Regardless, if I'm not mistaken, if you paid for them to take your jacket, they have to reimburse you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Regardless, if I'm not mistaken, if you paid for them to take your jacket, they have to reimburse you.

OP paid them to mind his jacket while disco was on not indefinitely, I can't just go in there, hand over 10 coats, ask them to look after them for a couple of weeks. OP it's November, how do you forget to get your jacket?. Take the hit and put it down to experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

davo10 wrote: »
    OP paid them to mind his jacket while disco was on not indefinitely, I can't just go in there, hand over 10 coats, ask them to look after them for a couple of weeks. OP it's November, how do you forget to get your jacket?. Take the hit and put it down to experience.
    But the nightclub has a duty of care once they have been paid to mind the jacket, they are also responsible for any loss from handing over the op's property to any third party like we wefoundit.ie. this duty of care would extend beyond the time of the disco much like a dry cleaners can not sell your clothier/curtains if you don't collect them immediately or soon after they are ready for collection.

I'm not a solicitor but I would assume there is an implied understanding that they are responcible only for the period of time for which the OP paid for the cloakroom, ie while the disco is on and up until the time they close. I can't see how your dry cleaners analogy is the same as the OP's situation, though I am pretty sure that if you left your dry cleaning there for months or years and they could not contact you, they would dispose if it. The OP paid for the jacket to be minded for the time he was in the nightclub, it was his responcibility to pick it up afterwards, he didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

davo10 wrote: »
    I'm not a solicitor but I would assume there is an implied understanding that they are responcible only for the period of time for which the OP paid for the cloakroom, ie while the disco is on and up until the time they close. I can't see how your dry cleaners analogy is the same as the OP's situation, though I am pretty sure that if you left your dry cleaning there for months or years and they could not contact you, they would dispose if it. The OP paid for the jacket to be minded for the time he was in the nightclub, it was his responcibility to pick it up afterwards, he didn't.
    The op handed his jacket in to be minded until collected though not just until the nightclub finished. There is a duty of care but this would only extend to keeping the jacket for a reasonable time to allow the owner to collect it. After a period of 6 months any lost or left items could be disposed of. The op could have left their jacket there for any reason including one outside of their control.

If you fail to collect items from a cleaners and they don't have a number to contact you they can't just sell them off to some other company, they must keep the items for a considerable time and only then can the items be disposed of.

Did he inform them that he wanted them to look after it for more than one night?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

I have worked in a few nightclubs.

We were told as staff that all jackets left in the cloakroom were considered lost property and held for x amount of months before we could get rid of them to the nearest charity shop.

We had to check the dates on the tickets to be sure they were outside this timeframe.

Find it really strange that they do a next day run to drop lost jackets to that place.

Either way I dont think its their possession to give to this place considering its a for profit organisation.

• Advertisement

• Yeah it's pretty dodgy that they supposedly gave the jacket to a charity place after one night. Surely many people would just forget their jackets and return to collect the next day?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What sort of jacket was it? Pop down and ask if they have X jacket that you left in the nightclub. Just don't specify when you left it behind... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Toad-Girl

If it's a nightclub you visit frequently, it might be worth going down and arguing with a manager for the value of it. A similar thing happened to two friends of mine a few months ago. They had to ring a few times and eventually went down there and fought it out and were given the value of the jacket (which in fairness they could have claimed was anything), and a free pass to the nightclub for a month. That said they'd be regular customers of the nightclub in question as it's one of two in the town we live but still, might be worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 paul88

just tot id update on this one the nightclube replaced my jacket:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

paul88 wrote: »
    just tot id update on this one the nightclube replaced my jacket:D:D:D:D:D

So what happened? Come on, spill the beans. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

after 9 months?!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Compton wrote: »
    after 9 months?!

better late then never? :)

Advertisement