Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning to swim as an adult

• 14-01-2008 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Is it easy? Iv seen people swim and they make it look so easy. Im 25 and dont know how to swim. Iv got my first swimming lesson booked. Im not nervous (yet) but what can i expect? Would they teach me to float on my first lesson. Would they give me those kiddie floats? How long would it take to learn to swim?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭zardette

Hi there,

I took it up last autumn as my knees were in a bad way. I went with a friend and with mutual encouragement and support and a few lessons I could swim the front crawl (not very well) in a week. With dedication and and love for the pool I went every day for an hour and I could swim all the strokes in a few months.

I would defo say it possible (if you put in the effort) and and very well worth it!

In the first lesson they taught me how to not fear the water.

After that the lessons just really gave me the motivation to practice.

The best way for me was getting my buddy to watch my stroke and to help me find my balance in the water.

So go for it :)

Z

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I taught my girlfriend to swim over the past few years, on hols once or twice a year. If you put your mind to it you should be splashing around confidently in a few months.

Here are some things you should aim to learn you progress:
    • thread water
    • swim across the pool
    • swim arcross and back
    • swim up
    • swim up and back
    • swim up and back multiple times (each stroke)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Lisajane, As the others have said it;s not difficult. If you're not scared of water I would go so far as to say, yes it is easy. I only learned in August 2005 when I was well into my thirties! The teacher will base your lesson on how you are. If you are scared of the water the first thing will be to get you comfortable, if you are ok then getting used to the feeling of moving in the water and then of course they will have to teach you the strokes. Don't worry about it, it should be fun. enjoy it and do come back and tell us how you got on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭JG1

Zardette, where did you go for lessons? I have gone to different classes in Dublin over the past 3 years and have been disappointed. Would love to give it another go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

JG1, have you gone to group classes or one on one?

• Advertisement

They were always group lessons. I'm thinking one on one might be better for me. I have a fear of the deep end and I think overcoming this would go a long way to helping me improve as a swimmer.

Someone told me that the Markiewicz pool does one on one lessons. Do you know of anywhere else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭zardette

hi JG1,

The lessons where in a group and they were not based in Dublin and even though there were good I wouldn't recommend traveling 3hrs for lessons :)

What I found good was:
    1. Reading and watching the DVD on total immersion
    http://www.totalimmersion.net/
    2. Getting someone with me to build up my confidence in the water as I was very nervous. Being with someone that you are comfortable with was a key step in gaining confidence in the water.
    3. Getting them to help me with the drills that are on this video and to watch my stroke was key to improving. Often it is difficult to see what you are doing wrong yourself.

The one thing I found hard was breathing in the water and I found that learning good body rotation was hard but well worth it once you get it right..

I think the one on one is very good advice and I suppose I got it from my buddy for free (well almost, I did have to make it a few dinners):D
    Z

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Clseeper

When starting from scratch with adults, confidence in the water is biggest thing to overcome. Once you master that, you'll progress very quickly. Adults are a lot more aware of the dangers with water as opposed to kids which you can just throw into the pool (Not literally but close enough to)

I had a young girl once (mid 20's), in a 4ft pool who was terrified of letting go of the wall as she thought she would be swept away?? We got over that fear quite quickly.

For t he OP: It really depends on the class level/size, how good your teacher is and what your level is. When teaching adults I never ask them to wear armbands (kiddie float??) or are you talking about the kick boards? Kick boards are a vital tool and are used by all levels up to professional level. Personally, for stability, I’d start brand new beginners on woggles first and work up from there.

http://www.gb-sports.co.uk/water_woggles.jpg

How long it will take varies from person to person but if you try everything as best you can and take your time to get it right in the beginning then it shouldn’t take too long. People can progress in as fast as one lesson. My current group are on lengths after 6-8 weeks.

Go for it and push yourself to try everything.

Thanks. Managed a length in a 25m pool last night even though it was only 5ft in depth! Next, it's a full length in a proper shallow/deep end pool. Just need to overcome my fear. If anyone knows someone who offers one on one lessons in Dublin, please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 liam100

Despite what the the previous posters say learning to swim for the first time as an adult is NOT easy. I've been having one to one lessons for the past 3 months from a swimming instructor in Dublin and am still not able to swim one length of the pool. Mastering the freestyle which is the first stroke you have to learn takes a LOT of practice which you need to do between your lessons. Maintaining correct streamline position with correct coordination of breathing, arm strokes with a good leg kick is very difficult but eventually comes with constant practice. People who say learning to swim as an adult is easy are lying. It takes a lot of work.

• Advertisement

I agree that it’s not the same for all adults learning to swim. Some defiantly take longer than others and also depends on their expectations: is it to be confident to do a few widths? Maybe a whole length? Or do they intend to do a triathlon?

The advantage of adults is their real willingness to learn, a much better focus and normally more strength than kids. But as pointed out earlier, there are downsides in that adults can be more wary and need more confidence boasting.

Liam100: Where you starting from scratch at the beginning of the 3 months? What’s stopping you doing a whole length?

Frontcrawl is not the only way to get to that first length. Try some backcrawl to build stamina and work on the kick and reach that hurdle.

I agree that it’s not easy but extremely rewarding none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

liam100 wrote: »
    Despite what the the previous posters say learning to swim for the first time as an adult is NOT easy. I've been having one to one lessons for the past 3 months from a swimming instructor in Dublin and am still not able to swim one length of the pool. Mastering the freestyle which is the first stroke you have to learn takes a LOT of practice which you need to do between your lessons. Maintaining correct streamline position with correct coordination of breathing, arm strokes with a good leg kick is very difficult but eventually comes with constant practice. People who say learning to swim as an adult is easy are lying. It takes a lot of work.

Liam100, everything Clseeper has said is quality advice & you should defo take note of it. The 1 question I'd have for you before I'd give my opinion is how often do you practice outside of your swimming lessons?
    If you're going for lessons once a week you will progress very slowly! You need to get in the water at minimum once a week & practice what you're instructor is showing you for yourself. You'll progress alot quicker & get the satisfaction of teaching yourself! This works extremely well with my students!

If you're getting more then 1 lesson a week & progressing slowly I'd consider changing instructors as a different approach might work for you!(providing you dont have any fears of the water you're overcoming or other factors you haven't mentioned)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 liam100

Yes, I started swimming from scratch and didn't have any fear of water. Also I do make a point of always practicing between my once weekly lessons - usually for 1-2 sessions. My problem is the breathing on the frontcrawl which I'm having severe difficulty with. I maintain a streamline position and trickle breathe i.e blow bubbles continuously under water. Usually after the 3rd head turn to the side I'm completely out of breath which stops me swimming in my tracks usually at about 10m approximately. Then I have to start again. What I think may be happening is that my leg kick may be faltering slightly which causes me to sink. Obviously the frontcrawl is the most difficult for breathing because the face is continuously in the water. My instructor has told me that I should master the frontcrawl before attempting backcrawl or breaststroke. Should I change instructors or carry on and hope for the best? I'm stuck on a plateau at the moment. Thanks.

liam100 wrote: »
    Yes, I started swimming from scratch and didn't have any fear of water. Also I do make a point of always practicing between my once weekly lessons - usually for 1-2 sessions. My problem is the breathing on the frontcrawl which I'm having severe difficulty with. I maintain a streamline position and trickle breathe i.e blow bubbles continuously under water. Usually after the 3rd head turn to the side I'm completely out of breath which stops me swimming in my tracks usually at about 10m approximately. Then I have to start again. What I think may be happening is that my leg kick may be faltering slightly which causes me to sink. Obviously the frontcrawl is the most difficult for breathing because the face is continuously in the water. My instructor has told me that I should master the frontcrawl before attempting backcrawl or breaststroke. Should I change instructors or carry on and hope for the best? I'm stuck on a plateau at the moment. Thanks.

It's late so this is post is a bit all over the place, but anyway!

Are you breathing every 2nd stroke?

Are you breathing to your dominant side? i.e if you're right handed do you roll
    to your right?

If you're struggling with your legs how is your instructor rectifying this?

If the answer to the 3rd question is not enough there's a couple of options.
    Option 1 - Get a kickboard & start swimming leg sets till your legs get stronger/technique gets better.

Option 2 - Start training with swim fins. They'll help correct your leg kick & will strengthen your legs & also have the pay off of improving propulsion which in turn should hopefully help with your breathing technique.

TBH thats pretty standard to teach front crawl 1st, then backstroke then Breast stroke. Learn the more efficient strokes 1st! Where are you based & someone might be able to recommend an instructor! As I said before, a different instructor will have slightly different methods that might suit you better.

As always, it’s very hard to correct strokes without actually seeing you swim so take all the advice gotten as just; advice and possible pointers.

Firstly, you are by no means alone in finding the breathing difficult on the frontcrawl, and you wont be the last. I think the majority of posts I’ve written for this forum are on that topic. It requires coordination of all the elements of the stroke to really pull off.
    I’m a bit concerned that you say “What I think may be happening”, isn’t that what your instructor is for? They should be telling you what is wrong and how to fix it. I also query why you aren’t attempting the other strokes? Leaving out the breaststroke – ok but the backcrawl nicely complements the progression of the fc without the complexity of the breathing. This can help build up the stamina and fitness level required.

It could be possible that what is required is a step improvement in your cardio fitness to get over that hurdle?

I would hate if one of clients came to me and told me I was doing something wrong just because some faceless people on an internet forum said so – having never seen them swim. Having said that I’d try and communicate a bit more, ask them what you need to improve? Why are they not doing other strokes? What drills you need to work on etc. Then see how it goes. If you’re still not happy, try a different instructor and see.

Good luck.

Clseeper wrote: »
    As always, it’s very hard to correct strokes without actually seeing you swim so take all the advice gotten as just; advice and possible pointers.

Firstly, you are by no means alone in finding the breathing difficult on the frontcrawl, and you wont be the last. I think the majority of posts I’ve written for this forum are on that topic. It requires coordination of all the elements of the stroke to really pull off.
    I’m a bit concerned that you say “What I think may be happening”, isn’t that what your instructor is for? They should be telling you what is wrong and how to fix it. I also query why you aren’t attempting the other strokes? Leaving out the breaststroke – ok but the backcrawl nicely complements the progression of the fc without the complexity of the breathing. This can help build up the stamina and fitness level required.

It could be possible that what is required is a step improvement in your cardio fitness to get over that hurdle?

I would hate if one of clients came to me and told me I was doing something wrong just because some faceless people on an internet forum said so – having never seen them swim. Having said that I’d try and communicate a bit more, ask them what you need to improve? Why are they not doing other strokes? What drills you need to work on etc. Then see how it goes. If you’re still not happy, try a different instructor and see.

Good luck.

Just want to comment on the bolded part as it's aimed at me. I never said OP's instructor is doing anything wrong but the OP shouldn't be tied to 1 person if they feel the instructors methods aren't working/they aren't progressing. It's like anything else,if you're not happy/have doubts shop around.

Burkatron: That wasn't meant for you but re-reading it now I can see why you thought that - sorry. It was actually more to cover my ass considering all the questions I asked the OP to pose to their instructor. And also my opinion of the standard of some swimming teachers out there (crap). I didn't want to come across as arrogant, godly & "can do no wrong".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭francie81

lisajane wrote: »
    Is it easy? Iv seen people swim and they make it look so easy. Im 25 and dont know how to swim. Iv got my first swimming lesson booked. Im not nervous (yet) but what can i expect? Would they teach me to float on my first lesson. Would they give me those kiddie floats? How long would it take to learn to swim?

Hey Lisa,

I took up 10 week swimming lessons am now going onto my 5th next week and I have to say apart from loving the water I'd no notion of swimming but now after 4 weeks am proud to say I can atleast swim and loving it although I know I have a long way to go still even probly after the 10 weeks are up but I do intend to practice on my own to keep up the momentum, at the end of the day its like anything else in life of having the confidence in yourself that you want to do it and having confidence in your instructor to get ya there therefore you'll be well on your way like myself and anyone else who wants to learn.
    Anyway keep us informed of how your getting on.

Best of luck,
    Francie

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mickeyfitzray

I started taking swimming lessons just last week. I am really comfortable in the water and have always enjoyed it so I assumed that with proper lessons it wouldn't take me too long to get the hang of it.

After only one class I'm finding it very difficult and quite frustrating. I just can't seem to get a good kick going with the board. I also have trouble with breathing and choking on water that I'm swallowing while trying to breath in. Unfortunately the rest of the class who are supposed to be at the same level as me are whizzing up and down with the board and I'm stuck there looking down at the same tiles while kicking furiously!

I'm starting to regret taking the class as it seems I may have been better off with a more patient one-to-one lesson. The instructor doesn't get in the water, he basically tries to tell you what you should be doing which can be hard to understand without seeing somebody demonstrate it.

The point I'm trying to make is do not think it is easy. It's hard work and you have to be quite fit. I've been going to the gym for the past 6 months and I play 5-a-side every week so I am pretty active but after a 45 minute practice session in the pool my legs get the better of me and I get out of breath easily.

I started taking swimming lessons just last week. I am really comfortable in the water and have always enjoyed it so I assumed that with proper lessons it wouldn't take me too long to get the hang of it.

After only one class I'm finding it very difficult and quite frustrating. I just can't seem to get a good kick going with the board. I also have trouble with breathing and choking on water that I'm swallowing while trying to breath in. Unfortunately the rest of the class who are supposed to be at the same level as me are whizzing up and down with the board and I'm stuck there looking down at the same tiles while kicking furiously!

I'm starting to regret taking the class as it seems I may have been better off with a more patient one-to-one lesson. The instructor doesn't get in the water, he basically tries to tell you what you should be doing which can be hard to understand without seeing somebody demonstrate it.

The point I'm trying to make is do not think it is easy. It's hard work and you have to be quite fit. I've been going to the gym for the past 6 months and I play 5-a-side every week so I am pretty active but after a 45 minute practice session in the pool my legs get the better of me and I get out of breath easily.

Hey Mickey,

Your only starting out fairplay to ya but you got to remember learning to swim at a later stage in life takes time with alot of people just doesn't happen overnight, I've read all what you said and I was in your position in fact I wouldn't be much ahead of ya even though am at 'Intermediate' level. Don't worry about everyone else being ahead of ya because if you do then nerves will get the better of ya, the instructor should know how far on you and everyone else is and he/she should address the situation before moving on.
    The instructor being in the pool makes it a whole lot easier I totally agree with you on that but another thing too is that its very important you try your best to go swimming as often as possible outside of the lessons which is what am trying to do myself with another guy I met from the previous beginner class.
    All I can say is if you really want to do it stick at it like anything else it will come to ya like it will anyone else and remain focused when in the pool as I think relaxtion is half the battle when it comes to being able to swim.
    Anyway let me know how your getting along yeah?

Best of luck,
    Francie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mickeyfitzray

Yeah that's true... I think relaxing is a huge part of it. Not letting frustration get the better of you. Especially when trying to breathe and kick properly. I fully intend to get the better of it though that's for sure!

Luckily enough I'm a member of the place I'm getting lessons in so I'll be practicing as much as possible.

One other thing I will say in case this might put any learners off. Even though it can be frustrating and quite hard work it's still hugely enjoyable to be in the pool. Even though I'm not properly swimming it's still a great feeling after going for a dip in the morning.

Yeah that's true... I think relaxing is a huge part of it. Not letting frustration get the better of you. Especially when trying to breathe and kick properly. I fully intend to get the better of it though that's for sure!

Luckily enough I'm a member of the place I'm getting lessons in so I'll be practicing as much as possible.

One other thing I will say in case this might put any learners off. Even though it can be frustrating and quite hard work it's still hugely enjoyable to be in the pool. Even though I'm not properly swimming it's still a great feeling after going for a dip in the morning.

It's like this if you get the breathing right your on your way because it seems to me the sequence is kicking, arms then the breathing for the basic freestyle. Am not even concentrating on the breathing just yet as am trying to practice getting the legs and arms in motion, the same goes for the backstroke just can't get the arms moving with the legs but I know in time it'll fall into place.

Yep I have to say am delighted I took up swimming because I always loved the pool never feared water so the frustration of not being able to swim you know.

Good stuff then you should be there as often as possible you'll have it in no time just don't think about it, if I wasn't working I'd be problably going everyday if not every second day.
    Again let me know how its going for ya am off shortly for my 3rd installment should be fun:D

Francie

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Tommy Target

Going too finally get back in the pool

Not scared of water ..but have had lessons before (many moons ago)and they were soul destroying..was a instructor who loved himself because he was an accomplished swimmer and scuba diver etc

I couldnt grasp basic parts and he demeaned people who lagged behind and stuff

So i have taken a couple of weeks off work too find lessons and get started
    I live in Dublin and i am a member of a well known gym that has a separate pool and i live close by The National aquatic center in blanch..so no excuse there

Will keep fellow wannabee swimmers like me posted..

Any ideas suggestions would be great

Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭SasQuatch88

Hey guys, said i'll give it a shot, as this is something i want to get good at..
    I was a tad scared of the water, but since i've been on holidays and been splashing about in the pools there, i decided i might bite the bullet and get some lessons.
    What i'm wondering myself and the main thing that could help me a lot, is treading water, just thinking to meself if i could get that down i wouldn't have much of a problem.. well at least in staying afloat, doing lengths is a bit down the line for me.

All advice is welcome! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭redarmy1929

I'm also looking for private swimming lessons if anyone can recommend a teacher

Cheap as possible as well.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

The main thing about swimming is getting the breathing right n gettin used to your head been under water n realising your not goin to drown,once your comfortable with this the actual swimming part is easy,
    breath out when your under the water coming up for air n draw in when your above the water,once you get this right your elected..

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭CorkonianRebel

At the start of the year I vowed to learn how to swim as a new years resolution so I got private lessons but I didn't make much progress. I think the teacher was one of those guys who was a great swimmer but couldn't teach it. He would just say do this and when I couldn't do it, he wasn't able to explain what I should do. I think its because he was a gym instructor who could swim as opposed to a swimming instructor if you get me.

I felt like a fool as I was in a pool with everyone swimming around and I was scrambling for the side of the pool to get my head above the water every time! It was so frustrating, it put me off the whole idea until recently when I saw an ad about group lessons in a pool and there would be no one else in it.I'm only half way through the lessons and I can just about swim. I just need to keep practising it as I have the idea but just need to improve technique. The good thing about group lessons is you can watch and learn from others as we all take turns and it gives you a chance to recover your breath! I was worried it would be everyone staring at you as you do your turn but its actually like a support group! Everyone gives encouragement and I'm slowly getting there!

I'm also looking for private swimming lessons if anyone can recommend a teacher

Cheap as possible as well.
    Thanks

Where abouts are you based & tbh you're not going to get decent private lessons on the cheap. Most clubs they're atleast double (probably more) the price of group lessons so as the instructors aren't undercutting them!
    igorbiscan wrote: »
    The main thing about swimming is getting the breathing right n gettin used to your head been under water n realising your not goin to drown,once your comfortable with this the actual swimming part is easy,
    breath out when your under the water coming up for air n draw in when your above the water,once you get this right your elected..

Shhhhhh, don't tell everyone :p

Hey guys, said i'll give it a shot, as this is something i want to get good at..
    I was a tad scared of the water, but since i've been on holidays and been splashing about in the pools there, i decided i might bite the bullet and get some lessons.
    What i'm wondering myself and the main thing that could help me a lot, is treading water, just thinking to meself if i could get that down i wouldn't have much of a problem.. well at least in staying afloat, doing lengths is a bit down the line for me.

All advice is welcome! :D

To be honest, treading water is a skill that you need to be able to relax while doing. IMO you're not going to be able to relax in water deep enough you have to tread if you cant swim & make it to the side! Ideally you need to be able to swim first! If you get a decent instructor swimming lengths inst that far off when you consider how long in life you haven't been able to swim!!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭redarmy1929

Burkatron wrote: »
    Where abouts are you based & tbh you're not going to get decent private lessons on the cheap. Most clubs they're atleast double (probably more) the price of group lessons so as the instructors aren't undercutting them!

I'm from Clondalkin but can travel anywhere really.

I have been quoted a price of €50 per lesson so far, seems abit steep, unless its Michael Phelps teaching me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 kieraflynn2

Does anyone know of any intensive swimming lessons or private swimming lessons in Cork City?

Advertisement