Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roaming Charges July 1st

• 23-06-2012 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any info on what the networks will be charging after July 1st?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Have you checked your own network's website? I got a few text msgs from O2 in the past few days, they are cutting the rates immediately if you send them a txt msg.

http://www.o2online.ie/o2/help/article.php?aid=68134

Got the following response when I signed up....

The Data Roaming promotion is now active until 31st Oct. It costs 50c per MB when you use the Internet in the EU. The EU data cap does not work with this tariff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

50c per Mb? That's a bargin.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

E-mobile roaming charges now UK
    http://roaming.emobile.ie/prepay/ukni.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭JTMan

coylemj wrote: »
    Have you checked your own network's website? I got a few text msgs from O2 in the past few days, they are cutting the rates immediately if you send them a txt msg.

http://www.o2online.ie/o2/help/article.php?aid=68134

Got the following response when I signed up....

The Data Roaming promotion is now active until 31st Oct. It costs 50c per MB when you use the Internet in the EU. The EU data cap does not work with this tariff.

That promotion ends on 30 June 2012 according to the O2 website.

snaps wrote: »

20 cent per MB is the legal maximum charge for data roaming from 2014 in the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Yeah am with 3 can't find any info.

Yeah am with 3 can't find any info.

Three have not published their EU data roaming rates post 1 July 2012 yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Not sure if you are serious or being sarcastic.

With Vodafone you get 50mb for €2.

mad muffin wrote: »

sarcastic! I'm with Vodafone luckily

sarcastic! I'm with Vodafone luckily

Hehe wasn't sure. :p

You need to add a smiley, something like this;

:rolleyes: or :eek: or :pac: or :cool:

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Is that 50MB when roaming? Can it be bought over the counter for €2 or is that only as part of a talk & text package?

coylemj wrote: »
    Is that 50MB when roaming? Can it be bought over the counter for €2 or is that only as part of a talk & text package?

As far as I know it's on any bill plan.

It's €2 for the first 50mb then they charge you per mb. Not sure how much.

Here is the LINK on prepay its your home rate 99c plus 2e or if you have one of the free top up allowances you can use this and just pay 2e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Here is the LINK on prepay its your home rate 99c plus 2e or if you have one of the free top up allowances you can use this and just pay 2e.

Important to note that the above rate only applies when using VF's live APN. BlackBerry and other APNs are much more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I was told that this was ending on 1st July by a vodafone sales guy about 3 weeks ago. He said it was a european directive and it would be going up to 78c a mb or something.

He also said my new SIII would arrive the next day....and it didnt.

Three just sent a text with a link to there new roaming rates looks like these are the old rates someone messed something up

http://shop.three.ie/terms/eu-roaming-terms-conditions/

Three just sent a text with a link to there new roaming rates looks like these are the old rates someone messed something up

http://shop.three.ie/terms/eu-roaming-terms-conditions/[/QUOTE]

Link now working

Taken from Three:

Roaming in the EU.

Roaming rates across the EU are being aligned. This means new, improved rates. From 1 July 2012, roaming rates throughout the EU have been capped at 35.67c for making calls within the EU and back to Ireland, at 9.84c to receive a call within the EU from anywhere in the world and 11.07c to send an SMS within the EU and back to Ireland. Data charges have also been capped at 86.10c per Megabyte. These rates will be effective from 1 July 2012.

Just wondering if there is any advantage topping up with a data allowance before I head off. Ie, top up by 30€ so I get 500mb data? I'm on Vodafone payg

Just wondering if there is any advantage topping up with a data allowance before I head off. Ie, top up by 30€ so I get 500mb data? I'm on Vodafone payg

AFAIK if you do this it will cost you 2e per day instead of 2.99e it worked like that for me last year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 IrishJoker

http://shop.three.ie/terms/eu-roaming-terms-conditions/[/QUOTE]

Link now working

Taken from Three:

Roaming in the EU.

Roaming rates across the EU are being aligned. This means new, improved rates. From 1 July 2012, roaming rates throughout the EU have been capped at 35.67c for making calls within the EU and back to Ireland, at 9.84c to receive a call within the EU from anywhere in the world and 11.07c to send an SMS within the EU and back to Ireland. Data charges have also been capped at 86.10c per Megabyte. These rates will be effective from 1 July 2012.

Because this is a forced change to our T&C from the EU, would it fall under this regulation ?

'Under Regulation 17 of the European Communities (electronic communications networks and services)(Universal Service and Users’ rights) Regulations 2003'

Do you think it's possible to get out of a contract with this change ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

Interesting question.

Im currently with Vodafone but i see no mention of any changes to my current contract on the Customer Notifications page

• Registered Users Posts: 44 IrishJoker

Interesting question.

Im currently with Vodafone but i see no mention of any changes to my current contract on the Customer Notifications page

Same on the Three site - I wonder if this is classed as a change of T&C ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Ok, So I spoke with Vodafone and apparently this is the deal.

to get the €2.99 50mb 24 hour option, (€4.99 outside of Europe for 10mb per 24 hours), you will need to opt in by sending a text to 50220 with the word DATA.

Otherwise its going to be 86 cent per MB.

so many people going to be shafted on this.....

Ok, So I spoke with Vodafone and apparently this is the deal.

to get the €2.99 50mb 24 hour option, (€4.99 outside of Europe for 10mb per 24 hours), you will need to opt in by sending a text to 50220 with the word DATA.

Otherwise its going to be 86 cent per MB.

so many people going to be shafted on this.....
    just got this reply. I assume you use the live apn?

All of your users are now opted in to Vodafone Passport Mobile Internet. For just 1.62 a day they ll get 50MB of data to use while roaming in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 5 onweb

A comparison of data-roaming charges in the EU for bill-pay customers:
    http://on-web.blogspot.ie/2013/03/eu-data-roaming-costs-for-irish-bill.html

Vodafone comes out cheapest, followed by O2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Vodafone comes out cheapest, followed by O2.

The per MB approach is a bit misleading where you get 25/50 MB per day. If you only used 25MB then O2 and Vodafone would be the same price and if you used 50MB how much would O2 charge for the 25MB over the limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 onweb

ardmacha wrote: »
    The per MB approach is a bit misleading where you get 25/50 MB per day. If you only used 25MB then O2 and Vodafone would be the same price and if you used 50MB how much would O2 charge for the 25MB over the limit?

Agreed, the per MB approach is a little crude, but serves to show that Vodafone/O2 are WAY cheaper than the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Ya, Vodafone and O2 are great value for EU data roaming but terrible value for standard domestic tariffs.

It really pays to switch networks or use a different sim if possible prior to going on a foreign trip. I would almost always recommend having a sim free phone and PAYG or 30 sim only contract. No majors issues then moving network as you see fit.

I've a beef with Meteor who offer a 50MB EU Data roaming monthly add-on for €19.99 but a 200MB USA Data roaming monthly add-on for the same price... 4 times the allowance!

Advertisement