Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Were you bullied in school? Or were you the bully?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

We had the usual bullies in school. One guy got beaten up, the following morning his dad, a Garda came into class and gave a lecture on bullying in full uniform, (Probably warned the lads that they would go to Jail) The kid was never touched again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Used to get the piss taken out of me for listening to music like Metallica and being a tech-head into computers.

Later on in school I find out they start going to Korn concerts and singing Limp Bizkit songs on school tours.

Fast forward a few years and next time I see them a large chunk of them dress like hipsters / geeks.

Mind boggles I had to put up with those hypocrytical assholes everyday.

this plus their all doing IT degree's now and looking for help off me,

oh wait... it wasn't cool as kids but its cool to get smart and get a job now ?

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

I was the one who stood up the the bullies on behalf of the bullied.
    All bullies are cowards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I was the one who stood up the the bullies on behalf of the bullied.
    All bullies are cowards.

so did that make you the "bully" then. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

so did that make you the "bully" then. :)

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

We had the usual bullies in school. One guy got beaten up, the following morning his dad, a Garda came into class and gave a lecture on bullying in full uniform, (Probably warned the lads that they would go to Jail) The kid was never touched again.

jeez if that happened in my school, he would have got even more bullied, it can be dangerous being an informer:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

The worst bullying I received in my youth was from women, no question about that. With other fellas I could lash out with my fists unless a fella was a few years older or bigger. With women it was ofcourse verbal sarcasm, but I didn't know how to deal with it as we know lads they hide behind the "don't you intimidate me I'm a woman" sh!te, ( watch Judge Judy sometime and you'll see plenty of this attitude).

Even in adulthood I came across women who tried to mouth off, at work, sharing a house etc Needless to say, I'm too long in the tooth for that sort of sh!te these days. And then of course lads we have to listen to the poor ladies complaining about how men intimidate them all the time ....... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Bullied in 2005 when I was 13. Have never been the same since.

This is the first time I have ever mentioned it to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

It's ridiculous how if a bully starts on you in school - if he hits you first, then you both get into a scrap - even if you fight to defend yourself you'll usually get into more trouble than the guy who started it. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Ashamed to say that I was a bully. Looking back I was such a little sh1t. Was at my school reunion last year and sought out one of the guys I bullied and apologised to him........then I wedgied him*

*not true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

jeez if that happened in my school, he would have got even more bullied, it can be dangerous being an informer:)
    The lads weren't singled out. Just a general warning in front of the class.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I've been on both sides, at different times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Fiona

I was bullied in school by a gang of bitches :mad:

I went to a mixed school and I was a tomboy so was always hanging around with the lads as I did metalwork & tech graphics and we were all in the same class.

I got bullied cos of my weight, I would have been about a 12/14 when I was in school, not skinny but not obese either.

I can only presume that they didn't like the attention that I got from the boys. Every single one of them that gave me a hard time left school due to a teenage pregnancy and have done nothing with their lives.

What goes around comes around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'm not angry at all - why would I be angry on a "board" - life's too short.
    Ok, it's just that your first post looked really angry.
    Im just saying that most people using the word "bullied" are getting it mixed up with "growing pains"
    How do you know? You're not always present... :confused:
    Anyone who has told me they were bullied... WAS bullied (as opposed to just having the piss taken with no intent to damage). I don't think being bullied is something people like to broadcast, especially if it didn't happen. I can't remember anyone in my school maintaining they were bullied due to people just having a bit of a laugh with them. You claim most people who say they were bullied weren't actually bullied - without any proof whatsoever; it just seems like you WANT that to be the case. Why is that?
    everybody was rotton to somebody - to say you weren't is being in denial.
    Never said I was nice to people all the time, however I never carried out a sustained campaign of harassment on anyone either. Were YOU a bully and now attempting to pretend you weren't...?
    You sound like you are in a bit of a temper with me, :D
    Meh, can't see how. Passive-aggressive smiley use aside, your initial highly unsubstantiated post was obnoxious and very undermining of people who have been through the nightmare of bullying. On top of that, replying to a reasonable post with just a rolleyes because someone didn't agree with you is very childish. I simply responded to you in kind. The way life goes is that people don't always agree with you but it doesn't mean they're in a temper with you either.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

Best friend was bullied horrendously for being gay and he will always have it with him. After a while of seeing him suffer I snapped one day and kicked the ****e out of one particular group of lads, they said nothing more to him. I then went for another group and same story :p

Its sad that insults and slaps often seem to be a bully's only know way of communicating. I don't think bullies ease off just because someone has proven themselves by fighting back. I think its more because they are stupid, and don't want another unexpected circumstance where any sort of quick thinking might be necessary so as not to fall flat.

I'd also agree with people who say bullies aren't always unhappy, insecure people who make themselves feel better by hurting others and will ultimately have crap lives - some people are just c&nts for no reason, they just are. And can have great lives tvm.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

Can't say I was bullied, but I was certainly teased a lot for having red hair. This was in primary school mainly- by the time I'd reached secondary I'd heard all the jokes and they ceased to have any effect on me. Plus, my hair is a very dark red so I never got teased as much as the 'carrot top/freckle-faced' red heads who were in the school.

Overall, I got off pretty easily. I mean, who doesn't get teased in school for something? New/bad hair cut, new runners, crap runners, no runners, fat, skinny, tall, small, braces, smells weird, sh*t at PE, runs like a girl, kicks like a girl, a bit thick, swot etc. etc.

But again, I guess I was lucky in that I was never subjected to serious bullying in school. I pity those who were- it must have been miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

Dudess wrote: »
    I'd also agree with people who say bullies aren't always unhappy, insecure people who make themselves feel better by hurting others and will ultimately have crap lives - some people are just c&nts for no reason, they just are. And can have great lives tvm.

Very true.

Some people are just sadistic, it's as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Very true.

Wow, hang on a sec. I'm a little bit sadistic but would never bully anyone. Unless of course they asked nicely :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Dudess wrote: »
    Very true.

exactly, and the cr*p i hear from some child psycholgists saying that bullies are the ones who suffer in the long run that they will become failures.. is utter tripe:rolleyes:

most of the bullys i went to school with have done fine in life > holding down full-time jobs, married with familes etc

basically some people just get a kick out of making other people miserable, there's no psyhological defect about it imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭billyhead

I was bullied verbally for a time in secondary school. It was other students making homophobic comments and gestures towards me even though I was and am straight. Such crap as winking at me and making sexual comments etc. I didn't understand why I was victimised like this because I was big into and played sport in school and had a good few friends. It really pissed me off and I guess in a way you never really forget it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Got bullied a bit in national school but none in secondary school. I invited one of my national school bullies to a birthday party once. Me and a friend beat the piss out of him and he ran home crying. That was the start of my machiavellian streak.

I was bullied all through school. The earliest one I can remember was when someone called me a girl, was in the first couple of years. After that it was because of my intellectual ability and interests. I took up reading very quickly and was tested on it. By age 8 I had the spelling and vocabulary abilities of an 18 year old. So I used words that other kids my age had never even heard of.

My family moved to Kerry when I was 12. After that, the abuse came because I was from Dublin. I was also the type to react to bullies and I think that kept them coming too. By 15, I was suffering from depression and wanted out. I haven't ever dealt with it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

fryup wrote: »
    exactly, and the cr*p i hear from some child psycholgists saying that bullies are the ones who suffer in the long run that they will become failures.. is utter tripe:rolleyes:

most of the bullys i went to school with have done fine in life > holding down full-time jobs, married with familes etc

basically some people just get a kick out of making other people miserable, there's no psyhological defect about it imo
    While I agree that some people are just *****, that doesnt mean they dont have psyhological defects. Some folks are born sociopaths.

I reckon you'd have to have something wrong with you psychologically if you got a kick from carrying out a sustained campaign of harassment/exclusion/manipulation/nastiness against someone who can't defend themselves, but I don't think it always means you're doing it because you actually hate yourself and want to feel better.

The "Bullies are actually cowards" theory - not always. Some are once they don't have their "pack" with them, but plenty of them are well able for anyone - and brazenly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

I was, briefly, pretty early on in primary school after my dad died. It was one guy who took issue with that and my pretty public reactions to it (crying, often, in the middle of class and other stuff like that). Dealt with quickly and he stopped. Bizarre though.

I've actually been pretty lucky, as I'm probably still a ridiculously easy target for a potential bully - academic, glasses, used to have braces, weedy, not exactly a buzzing socialite. If I were in an American TV high-school I'd be destroyed.

There was a prolonged bullying issue in my year that I was semi-conscious of, when it was eventually sorted (and it was, promptly, when the school heavies found out) I felt absolutely awful for not doing anything. It wasn't out of fear, it was just some sort of weird apathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Bullies like to dominate/criticise, it makes them feel better, they are never wrong. They are not inclined to accept responsibility for their behaviour.
    We are all capable of a bit of slagging or banter but constant put downs are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Obviously there are exceptions but I'd say if you need to bully people chances are you're just plain boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 wasislos

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    While I agree that some people are just *****, that doesnt mean they dont have psyhological defects. Some folks are born sociopaths.

yeah bullying and isolation in childhood years will lead to a normal functioning socialable person in later years...probably will, but then you would have to discount the victims of child abuse too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Reading this about a 10 year old boy in meath that has been removed from school due to bullying,

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/boy-10-bullied-out-of-school-over-accent-188605.html

This is the blog, Poor kid, My heart goes out to him and his family......

http://threelittledogs.blogspot.com/2012/03/parents-go-public-on-bullying-of-child.html

To whom it may concern,

We wish to bring to your attention the following sequence of disturbing events to which our family and especially our youngest son have been subjected in recent months in Kells. Co Meath, Ireland. What will emerge below is a damning indictment of racial and xenophobic intolerance in modern Ireland.

By way of background, we relocated to Ireland in June 2010 from South Africa following a brutal family murder and ongoing violence in South African society. Gerard is an Irish citizen who lived in SA for several years, his wife and children are born and bred South Africans.
    Below is a sequence of events to date:

-Sept 2011 - Son starts at new school, having experienced racial bullying at previous school (very small rural school in Co Meath, Ireland)

-Oct 2011 - Son comes home having been punched in the face - this was not reported to us by the school. We went in the next day and the Principal's response was he doesn't call in parents every time there is an "altercation" between boys. We mention that our son has informed us of organised fights at break time, the Principal vehemently denies this. Our son reports to us he is being teased over his accent. Principal denies any bullying but agrees to monitor situation.
    He also encourages our son not to be a tattle tale after we bring up other issues which came to light. This he also relayed to our son by the Principal, this was done to improve the chances of him making friends and not be seen as a rat.

-November 2011 - We are called by the school to tell us our son is injured we need to collect him, I found him semi conscious, dizzy, slurred speech and very pale after an "accidental" clash of heads during PE class. In Cavan A&E he has CT scan and diagnosed with severe concussion. Suffers headaches and double vision for about 4 days.

-December 2011 - We observe the group of boys involved in bullying, some of whom live in the same estate, coming into our property several times and playing nick nack, xmas decorations are stolen from our porch.

-Jan 2012 - First day back to school after Christmas break, found tyres on our car deflated- reported to Gardai, rang Principal as we know first names of boys but not surnames so Gardai cannot take complaint. He tells us to buy a cctv system and come with proof to him.

-25th Feb 2012 - Front lounge windows hit with oranges, we witness the boys - call police - told they busy with road blocks, no cars available. One hour later numerous eggs hit house windows walls and a rental car. Again we witness them being thrown. Again call police. We stand on pavement outside house, ask a few local kids for surname of one local boy, it is given. 1 hour later 4 boys at our driveway, looking in and laughing, our eldest son (16) runs after them and asks if it was them who egged the house, they deny, he says ok and comes back.
    Our 10 year old is traumatised by these events and breaks down crying. What came out then was the fact that these boys and others have been racially abusing our son for months, calling him a “F**king foreigner” and mocking and imitating his accent. Eventually Gardai turns up 4 hours later! We provide name and address of one boy and first names of others. The Gardai return after being at house of boy and tells us they deny everything. The Gardai also say as boys are under 12 there is no criminal responsibility and they can do nothing about the situation.

-Monday 27th Feb 2012 - Our son is afraid to go to school, we keep him at home and telephone the Principal and tell him what happened. The Principal asks why our son has not told him of incidents at school. We remind him of his "advice" not to be a rat.
    That evening another concerned parent and her son, who is in same year as ours, comes to the house. The boy tells us of the fact that on a daily basis our son is being brought to the point of tears due to racial bullying over his accent. Furthermore he tells us that the bully who the gardai called to is bragging in playground that day that he got away with the egging and is coming back for our car.
    Most disturbingly, the boy who was in the "accidental" head clash causing our son concussion has been bragging that he deliberately head butted our son, and also got away with it. This child also without prompting spontaneously described the organised fights which are happening in the school.

-Tuesday 28th Feb 2012 - We call the Gardai and make formal statement about the 2 assaults on our son- the punch in the face and the head butt incident. We call Dept of Education, we get bounced around the HSE, Education Dept, Education Welfare Officers, Social Workers etc - a brilliant case of buck passing for 2-3 days and still NO ONE is intervening on our behalf.
    We hand delivered detailed letter to the school's Board of Management and requested meeting and investigation.

-Thursday 1 March 2012 - We speak to a Sergeant who informs us that the Principal had suggested the head clash was our son's fault and our version of events was in contradiction to his therefore no further investigation of incident. We are in shock. We contact school and under freedom of information act ask for a copy of the accident log, we also remembered that we had claimed medical
    cost through schools pupil insurance scheme which also had report from principal. We contacted the insurance company and requested copy of claim form. We got both documents which clearly support our version of events and contradict the evasive version the Principal gave to Gardai. The insurance claim was completed by him in his own hand writing and signed by him.
    When I collected the accident log from school, had a brief chat with Principal he again denied any bullying, and informed me that [Board of Management] BOM were meeting on Monday next in private and we were not invited.

-Friday evening 2 March 2012 - Youngest son's birthday. We met with the Sergeant and presented both documents to support our version of events, they now accepted our version, said they would call to houses of 2 boys this evening, and interview Principal on Monday. 45mins after getting home my wife answers call from a Garda (the one who took the original complaint re. car tyres), she
    informs my wife that she has just had " a very concerned parent" of a boy whom allegedly our oldest son had threatened and verbally abused (this is the one who threw the eggs). The garda wanted to come to our house and formally caution our eldest son. My wife refused, and we were threatened with arrest and that a senior officer would come to the house and "force" the caution on our eldest son.
    I immediately contacted the Sergeant we had met earlier and told him what had happened. I told him this was a false accusation and obviously further intimidation of us as a family. He rang back after speaking to the garda who had wanted to issue caution and told me they would not be coming tonight to issue caution but had an appointment to meet the other family tonight (Sat) and would call to us afterwards.
    Our youngest who is being bullied broke down after all this drama and panic in the house asking why are the police coming for his big brother.

-Saturday 3 March 2012 - We removed all children from the house as we expected to be arrested for obstruction of justice for refusing caution. Contacted a criminal solicitor who informed that the Gardai had no charge and to refuse them entry to the house.

-Sunday 4 March 2012 - Gardai arrived early evening, we confirmed that they were not there to issue a caution. Gardai inform us that they had visited 6 different families but all denied involvement. Gardai received undertaking from families that they would not interfere with us again.

-Monday 5th March 2012 - Delivered second letter to school for Board of Management, addressed to all members excluding Principlal. In this letter we highlighted the evasive nature of the Principlal's response to Gardai enquiries. We were not invited to this board meeting. We receive a phone call just before 9 pm asking us to come to school, we were unable to attend and arranged meeting for the following day.

-Tuesday 6 March 2012 - Meeting held with some members of the board. Meeting was recorded with consent of all parties. Board was initially reluctant to concede problem with bullying in the school. Difficult and heated meeting for 1 hour and 42 minutes. Eventually board admitted that they failed our son. Solutions proposed see attachment. Son to return to school Thursday 8thMarch 2012. -Wednesday 7 March 2012 - Son and teacher meet at school to discuss 'secret' method of communication. Class teacher and son were to finalise this the following morning before school.

-Thursday 8 March 2012 - Son finishes school day, reports that he had been taunted over egg throwing and called names after school. Son is visibly distressed and refuses to go back to school.
    We went immediately to see the Principal and inform him of what had happened. Teacher had not finalised 'secret' signal and son couldn't alert him to what was happening.

-Friday 9th March 2012 - Son kept out of school as fearful yet again.

-Monday 12 March 2012 - Son returns to school after debriefing. Teacher finalises 'secret' signal. Principal was due to give talk during assembly on bullying but this didn't materialise due to confirmation photographer at school. Principal did give individual talks to each class.

-Wednesday 14 March 2012 - Son has a good day at school, seems relaxed and enjoying school again. House egged again that afternoon. Gardai are summoned. Camera was not running at the time so no footage available. Started camera then and caught the bullies passing by looking in and laughing.

-Thursday 15 March 2012 - Take video clip to Principal. He confirms identity of boys. Principal notes their names. Get phone call from Principal later that day and he informs us of existence of a facebook page. We go back to school to meet with him. Principal gives us a screen grab of the facebook page. Principal informs us that the page has been removed. We demand another board meeting to discuss suspension and possible expulsion of those responsible for the hate page.
    Principal stated that expulsion was not an option for primary schools and that the maximum suspension was three days. We take the screen grab to the Gardai. Gardai confirm that it is incitement to hatred and a serious offence. Mother of boy responsible for page comes to our house seeking resolution and forgiveness. We inform her that the situation is too serious and that Gardai have been notified. Gardai meet with parents and boy who set up the page. Other children and parents from the page don't bother keeping appointment with Gardai. Gardai confirm no prosecution is possible due to age of offenders. We look at facebook profiles of other boys involved and realise that the hate page had been circulated to approximately 200 other people including many students from the school.

-Friday 16 March 2012 - We advise the Principal on level of exposure of this hate page. Inform Principal that we are removing son once again for his own protection. Principal agrees that son should not be made aware of this hate page. Unfortunately our son had been made aware of this page by another student in school during the course of Wednesday.

-Tuesday 20 March 2012 - Son not at school. Board of Management holds closed meeting. We had prepared a submission for the meeting. Was not afforded opportunity to present it to the board as meeting was held in the morning. Spoke to Principal in the afternoon. Principal refuses to discuss outcome of meeting. We are told to wait for a letter from the chairman of the board. No time scale is given as to when we will receive letter. We express our disgust at the fact that we were excluded.
    Mother of boy who set up hate page arrives again at our house. She requests to meet at local hotel so that we can 'sort this out between us'. We refuse and ask her to leave our property.

-Thursday 22 March 2012 – Receive BOM decision via email. BOM has decided not to take any action against the bullies. The BOM is taking the facebook incident in isolation and not attributing it to bullying behaviour in the school. This despite the fact that they have conceded that our son is indeed being bullied in school.
    In conclusion at no stage has anyone enquired as to the well being of our son. This case is not being treated with fair procedure and urgency which it obviously deserves. The fact that our son is being denied his right to education whilst the bullies continue school unpunished and are roaming the streets of Kells on a daily basis clearly demonstrates the injustice of this situation. The effect of all of this on our son cannot be underestimated, he is already trying to modify his accent around home, when we talked to him about it it said he is trying to get rid of his South African accent to fit in more at school.

It is widely acknowledged that bullying in schools in Ireland, whether it be racial or otherwise, is an ever increasing problem. As quoted by Dr Mona O'Moore from the Trinity anti-bullying centre: 'Within in the last year, I've heard of at least four secondary school students who have died by suicide because of bullying. There was also one eight year old who took that drastic step.'

We as a family are no longer prepared to allow us and our son to be intimidated by ten and eleven year olds and their irresponsible parents and an ineffective board of management at the school. We are disgusted that the Children's act is protecting the bullies and not our son. We will stop at no lengths to highlight this problem in the Kells area and hopefully from doing so, someone in authority will have the guts to stand up for what is our constitutional right namely to live in peace and that our son get the education in a safe environment, which he deserves and wants, free from racial abuse,.

This is a very shortened version of events as there are many other details which we do not want to disclose at this point. We feel that the information we have provided here paints a disturbing enough picture. If you require any additional information please feel free to contact us.
    Gerry and Liza Dalton
    Kells, Co Meath

Advertisement