Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sherlock confirms that ‘Irish SOPA’ has been signed into law

• 29-02-2012 4:55pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 265 Mod ✭✭✭✭OSI

"Hi my name's Sean Sherlock, you elected me to represent you in government. Last month I received a considerable backlash on proposed legislation I was trying to sneak through. So I did the only think I could. I waited till the heat died down and went and signed it into law anyway. Later fuckers!"

http://www.thejournal.ie/sherlock-confirms-that-%E2%80%98irish-sopa%E2%80%99-has-been-signed-into-law-369634-Feb2012/
    JUNIOR MINISTER SEÁN Sherlock has this afternoon confirmed that the controversial statutory instrument that reinforces online copyright laws in Ireland has been signed into law.
    The controversial ‘Irish SOPA’ legislation was the subject of much debate last month amid concerns it would limit internet freedom. Today Sherlock confirmed that the European Union (Copyright and Related Rights) Regulations 2012 has been signed into law.
    The statutory instrument will make it possible for copyright holders to seek court injunctions against companies such as internet service providers or social networks whose systems are hosting copyright-infringing material.
    Sherlock, the Minister for Research and Innovation, acknowledged in his statement today that prior to signing the statutory instrument there had been a call for it to be more detailed and prescriptive.
    But he said that the High Court now has “significant guidance” from the European Court of Justice regarding the implementation of the measure.
    According to the Department of Jobs, Innovation and Skills, it will be now up to the court to ensure that any remedy provided will uphold the freedom of internet service providers, or ISPs, to conduct their business.
    It will also have to offer an “absolute requirement” that an ISP cannot be mandated to carry out monitoring of the information it carries. It must also ensure that measures implemented are “fair and proportionate” and not “unnecessarily complicated or costly”.
    It also states that fundamental rights of an ISPs’ customers must be respected by the court including their right to protection of their personal data and their freedom to receive or impart information.
    Copyright review

In conjunction with the announcement that the statutory instrument has been signed, Sherlock said that he was launching the next stage of the Copyright Review Committee which is “aimed at removing barriers to innovation”.
    “On many previous occasions I have outlined the reasons why it is necessary for us to proceed to sign this Statutory Instrument in order to ensure compliance with our obligations under EU law,” Sherlock said in a statement.
    “As there are clearly many diverse interests, it is important that interested parties come together and work in a constructive way to map the path forward.
    “For this reason I am particularly anxious that the consultation paper launched today is studied and comprehensively responded to by all interested parties.
    “The challenge now is to examine what measures we can take to develop Ireland’s laws in this area in such a way as to provide the greatest possible encouragement for innovation in the creative and digital industries to take place here.”
    In launching the consultation paper from the Copyright Review Committee, Sherlock said he hoped it would contribute to a debate that would establish Irish copyright law “on a firm footing”.
    “I am committed to reviewing and updating the Copyright legislation currently in place in order to strike the correct balance between encouraging innovation and protecting creativity.
    “This paper has been prepared by the Copyright Review Committee in response to submissions received and public engagement.
    “I urge all interested parties, including information providers and ISPs, innovators, rights holders, consumers and end-users, to study it carefully and engage in a constructive debate on all the issues,” he added.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Nice to see the politicians listening to the people who got them into office...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

If it was possible to be more disappointed in our goverment than I already was, I would be :(

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

he just ruined any chance he has of getting re-elected.. may kiss his political career goodbye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

To be forever remembered as EMI Sherlock. Last time he'll get elected, hope it was worth his while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

wave bye bye to leinster house boyo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I for one welcome our new internet overlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

http://http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0229/copyright.html
    In a statement, Mr Sherlock "urged all interested parties to focus now on making Ireland a model of international best practice for innovation, and ensuring that our copyright laws facilitate the achievement of this goal."

complete and utter horse-sh*t!

So are we going to bypass the whole protest thing and go straight to riots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Sonic the Large Cock

dont see this SI on the Irish Statute Book yet must be a load of crap

Looks like he's still using those icons on his website too

http://www.seansherlock.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Sherlock said that he was launching the next stage of the Copyright Review Committee which is “aimed at removing barriers to innovation”.

Well that's a load of cobblers. The music media corps are partly on this campaign because they have not adapted with the times and cling onto old overpriced formats padded with junk and have not adapted to new distribution methods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

If a single person is prosecuted as a result of this I'll eat my hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Where could i get a copy of the Law,could i download it or is it illeagal

Victory for Labour and the Adult entertainment industry, the real loosers in internet piracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Whilst I hate this guy too. Its too early to be sharpening the pitchforks now.
    It still has to be signed into EU law before it will be officially put in place in Ireland,
    hopefully it won't be signed into EU, I can't imagine it will be with all the protests and **** that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

boards.com doesn't have the same ring to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I find it hard to believe

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

███████ ███████ ███████ ███████ ███████ ███████ ███████ ███████ ███████ ███████ ███████ ███████ ███████ ███████ ███████ ███████ ███████ ███████ ███████

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Whilst I hate this guy too. Its too early to be sharpening the pitchforks now.
    It still has to be signed into EU law before it will be officially put in place in Ireland,
    hopefully it won't be signed into EU, I can't imagine it will be with all the protests and **** that happens.

You're thinking of ACTA.

This is an Irish Law that is now enforceable in Ireland.

LEts write a song about Sherlock and labour and get it to #1

• Advertisement

LEts write a song about Sherlock and labour and get it to #1

we can call ourselves maverick shlabour

Interesting read here on how it might be a toothless law anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

Netflix will be happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Earthday

[ This post, has been Censored by Sopa, also own the rights of smilies, on boards. ]

• Registered Users Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

pmcmahon wrote: »
    Looks like he's still using those icons on his website too

http://www.seansherlock.ie/

My door is always open. Please feel free to contact me anytime on any issue of concern to you.

I wonder how 3am would suit?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

we need a new political party!

Sharrow wrote: »
    we need a new political party!

i'm voting fianna fail next time,the devil you know and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I wonder how 3am would suit?:confused:

doors always open, should make it easier to send facekicker in to him so.

doors always open, should make it easier to send facekicker in to him so.

i heard facekicker is so popular he's copyrighted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

He'll be on Drivetime around 6:20 apparently to talk about it.

Advertisement