Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lorna Byrne - False Prophet?

• 14-11-2008 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Hello,

has anyone heard of Lorna Byrne who claims to be able to talk with God and the angels?

She appeared on the Late-late Show last Friday and her website is at http://www.lornabyrne.com

Personally I very skeptical of her claims and if she is indeed communicating with angels, they are probably of the fallen variety.

She has in subtle ways said that it doesn't matter to God which religion we practice and she never mentions Jesus.

From what I've seen of her writings and videos, she will lead souls away from Christ. Apparently she's quite popular, has been on a couple of prominent TV shows and her new book is on the best-sellers list.

God bless,
    Noel.

EDIT: http://www.rte.ie/tv/latelate/20081107.html (Link for video).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

I doubt she is a false prophet mate.

Visual and auditory halucination coupled with ingratiation to her audience that would make a cold reader blush.

Either a schizoid or someone trying to make a quick buck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Not a fraud she's made this claim for many years.

She is mad, being misled by the tempter or she is a true mystic like St Joan or Teresa of Avila or the little flower.

There is no reason why a mad person could not be misled by the tempter or in close communication with God.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Either a schizoid or someone trying to make a quick buck.
    Whether she's really in contact with spirits or making it up, she's putting way to much emphasis on angels and none on Jesus (that I'm aware of). I find that very suspicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

It would require detailed analysis to determine whether shes delusional in some way, or in fact just a chancer. However, if she follows the line of her American counterparts and starts offering "retreats" to discover 'your personal angel', I think we can look toward the latter as the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 tunamill

I don't think she is a false prophet or delusion. I actually don't think she is a prophet at all. I believe that she has been given a wonderful gift, and when you hear her speak, she is quite clear that God has not, and will not, reveal everything to her. She may only have a message to remind us of our guardian angels. And I do believe her when she says that God does not abandon non-Christians and there are angels present with everyone.

I'm actually really shocked and impressed that she was welcomed on a venue like the Late Late Show, and given almost 20 minutes of air time!

• Advertisement

tunamill wrote: »
    I don't think she is a false prophet or delusion. I actually don't think she is a prophet at all. I believe that she has been given a wonderful gift, and when you hear her speak, she is quite clear that God has not, and will not, reveal everything to her. She may only have a message to remind us of our guardian angels. And I do believe her when she says that God does not abandon non-Christians and there are angels present with everyone.
    It's what she's not saying that concerns me. No mention of sin and the need for redemption and forgiveness. No mention of Jesus.

The most urgent message that God needs to communicate today is that people who don't repent of their sins could be facing hell and that we need to receive forgiveness through His Son.

If these angels were true angels, they would be urging us all to turn back to God, not the angels! Of course I believe in guardian angels and that they assist us but it's God that really matters.

Here are two quotes from her website:

"The earth is a living thing and controversial as this may sound, our planet has its own spirit, its own soul."

"The most important life purpose all of us have is to live each moment of our life to the full".

What about God!?

kelly1 wrote: »
    It's what she's not saying that concerns me. No mention of sin and the need for redemption and forgiveness. No mention of Jesus.

If these angels were true angels, they would be urging us all to turn back to God, not the angels! Of course I believe in guardian angels and that they assist us but it's God that really matters.

I understand where you are coming from. People should not be worshiping angels, but she does say they come from God. And, for the sake of argument, wouldn't you say that living your life to the full MUST include God? People cannot build a strong faith on angels. They are only there to lead us towards the Godly path.
    The most urgent message that God needs to communicate today is that people who don't repent of their sins could be facing hell and that we need to receive forgiveness through His Son.

Read the first part of your sentence. How do you know what God needs? How dare you tell God what He needs to do? Maybe all He needs is for a simple woman to share the gift of seeing God's angels at work.

(I am new to boards, and I don't know how to quote, so I hope I am using this right).

I understand where you are coming from. People should not be worshiping angels, but she does say they come from God. And, for the sake of argument, wouldn't you say that living your life to the full MUST include God? People cannot build a strong faith on angels. They are only there to lead us towards the Godly path.
    Yes life lived to the full must include God but I don't hear that message coming from her. Her message is more about angels than God. The angels prostrate themselves before God's majesty!
    Read the first part of your sentence. How do you know what God needs? How dare you tell God what He needs to do? Maybe all He needs is for a simple woman to share the gift of seeing God's angels at work.
    A bit presumptuous of me indeed! I was a bit wary of writing that but I'm fairly sure that what God wants to communicate to us that we are made to know, love and serve Him and that He loves us infinitely despite our sinfulness and wants to forgive us.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Hello,

has anyone heard of Lorna Byrne who claims to be able to talk with God and the angels?

She appeared on the Late-late Show last Friday and her website is at http://www.lornabyrne.com

Personally I very skeptical of her claims and if she is indeed communicating with angels, they are probably of the fallen variety.

She has in subtle ways said that it doesn't matter to God which religion we practice and she never mentions Jesus.

From what I've seen of her writings and videos, she will lead souls away from Christ. Apparently she's quite popular, has been on a couple of prominent TV shows and her new book is on the best-sellers list.

God bless,
    Noel.

Is it not more likely the lady is simply mentally unwell?

SDooM wrote: »
    Is it not more likely the lady is simply mentally unwell?
    I don't think so. She seems quite compos mentis to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Lots of people seem Compos Mentis...

In case anyone is interested, I came across a couple of interesting articles by Fr. William P. Saunders about angels and the Catholic faith here:

http://www.holyspiritinteractive.net/columns/williamsaunders/straightanswers/angels1.asp

and here:

http://www.holyspiritinteractive.net/columns/williamsaunders/straightanswers/angels2.asp

He reminds us that God created the angels before the rest of creation, that angels are directly involved in human affairs, and that the word "angelos" means "messenger" in Greek. One point he makes is that "Throughout sacred Scripture, the angels served as messengers of God, whether delivering an actual message of God's plan of salvation, rendering justice, or providing strength and comfort."

So Kelly, although your image of God's love and plan for salvation is entirely valid, Lorna may just be serving as a messenger reminding us of angelic messengers that God has given us, as a source of strength and comfort.

You are free to disagree with me, but it is thought-provoking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Must be true she has her own website and a book.
    Which choir is the angel from who's visiting her anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ukonline

She did say at the beginning of her interview, did she not, that she was diagnosed as 'retarded' as a child.

QED...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

So we agree that she is retarded? Super. She seems pretty smart for a retard then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Son_of_Belial

So we agree that she is retarded? Super. She seems pretty smart for a retard then. :)

In fairness to the woman, she was diagnosed as being "retarded" when she was a child - as a matter of fact she's actually dyslexic. Plenty of older people who are now recognised to be suffering from Dyslexia were branded slow or retarded in some way when they were younger.

As for her claims of being able to see angels etc., the fact that (her book aside) she's not profited from this thing is part proof of her sincerity to me. There are things out there beyond the physical realm or dimension or whatever (having come across such things personally more than once), and if there is a God, it's comforting to think that he/she/it's kind of keeping an eye on things down here? As for not mentioning Jesus that's an important factor (if she's legit) - my personal belief (and having looked into reams and reams of literature and texts etc.) is that while it appears that Jesus may indeed have been a human man, and did exist, he is a product of sixty to a hundred years of hype and borrowed stories from other beliefs such as the Cult of Mithras etc. Add 2,000 years to that, the growing power of the Church and the suppression of the Gnostic Gospels which seem to be the most "faithful" versions of the life of Jesus, and you get a clearer picture. Sure he was a great man - he may have indeed existed. Was he devine? Was he the Son of God? No. These attributes were voted in by the Nicene Council for heaven's sake. If we assume that what she sees is real and she's not delusional or suffering from synaesthesia, it stands to reason then (according to my own weltenschauung at least) that she wouldn't mention the existence/influence of Jesus in his current form as represented by the Christian Churches...

• Registered Users Posts: 41 blacklawlessd

What bothers me most is how much human beings suspend their faculties.

I believe in God, I dont believe that the Catholic Church has a monopoly on him. The bible is the most edited book ever. We know little about the people who wrote each of the individual books that make it up, or more importantly why. We are each given a fine brain and we should use it to evaluate the information that we are given. If we don't use it then we are duped easily. Blinding unquestioning faith has to be tempered by our God given intellect. The repercussions of not using it can be horrific - Think back to the Nazi's when God fearing Germans put their faith in a man responsible for the deaths of millions.

I believe the Catholic Church is built on lies, and to blindly follow a book such as the bible makes as much sense as blindly following the Beano. Lorna Byrne is a fake and to blindly accept what she says means that you are switching off your brain again.
    If you want to get close to God, use the fine brain that he gave each of you

Watch the zeitgeist documentary at http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/ and see how easily we humans are duped.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I like it! You say that the bible is the most heavily edited book ever - quite a claim - but provide no evidence to back it up. The only link you provide is for the laughably flawed Zeitgeist Movie and then accuse Christian at large of "suspending their faculties". Tell me, have you actually looked at the claims made by Zeitgeist? Or was it so spectacular that there is no need to investigate further?

Was he devine [sic]? Was he the Son of God? No. These attributes were voted in by the Nicene Council for heaven's sake.
    Hello, I suggest you educate yourself on what happened at Nicaea. The divinity of Christ wasn't invented at the council. Among other reasons it was convened to quash the Arian heresy and establish that the Spirit proceeds from both the Father and the Son and not just the Father.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Council_of_Nicaea

The Early Church Father also believed in the divinity of Christ. See http://www.catholic.com/library/Divinity_of_Christ.asp

Why don't you check the original Greek in John 8:58 ("Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I Am")?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I believe the Catholic Church is built on lies, and to blindly follow a book such as the bible makes as much sense as blindly following the Beano. .

What lies would they be? From what I can see the Catholic Church is actually one of the denominations which 'blindly' follows the Bible the least. There are a lot more Christian denominations which take a literal approach to every single word of the Bible, whereas I find Catholic theologians to be far more open to interpretation and analysis.

As for anyone 'blindly' following the Bible that's just incorrect. That's not what it is about. A wise man once wrote 'I once was blind but now I see' and he knew what he was talking about.

Also as regards 'God fearing Germans putting their faith in Hitler'..... you forget to note that some of the Nazis' first targets to grace the concentrations camps and death camps were the men of God who knew evil when they saw it, and paid the ultimate price for speaking out. I know from personal experience particularly in the Rhineland, a religious stronghold in Germany, that many many priests, ministers, pastors, reverends disappeared, were executed and many also were sent to the front in penal battallions.What happened in Germany is what always happens when the moral voice of the people is silenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 blacklawlessd

Well for a start, how many versions of the bible are there? Almost 50
    German Luther Bible, the King James Bible, Marcionite bible, hebrew, the "new" international version, Holman Christian Standard, Higaynon bible....

Many versions, many translations, edited by many different points of view

My point on Zeitgeist is this - people all to often dont think enough about the information they are given. I suggested people watch zeitgeist as an example of how humans are easily duped, and within 10 minutes I get a reply about evidence. You took a standpoint on zeitgeist, and assumed it was in opposition to mine. I have no opinion on that film, other than that it is very interesting to read people's response to it.

Lorna Byrne and her ilk prey on people. You could be charitable and say that she just wants to give people hope. Christina Gallagher and her house of prayer are another example - having conned people out of money both here and in the US

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Well for a start, how many versions of the bible are there? Almost 50
    German Luther Bible, the King James Bible, Marcionite bible, hebrew, the "new" international version, Holman Christian Standard, Higaynon bible....

Many versions, many translations, edited by many different points of view

There are actually considerably more than 50 translations of the Bible. Do you suppose that the French should Learn the King's English so as they can best understand the King James Bible? Indeed, should we all have to learn Greek?

You are making an assumption that because something is translated, a process that can never exactly reflect the original, we are somehow losing something of worth. You are welcome to try and argue this. Fortunately we have a wealth of copies of the NT in Greek as well as numerous fragments and NT passages discussed by the early church fathers, so your task is made that bit easier. Though I must warn you that you will be travelling down a well trodden road.
    My point on Zeitgeist is this - people all to often dont think enough about the information they are given. I suggested people watch zeitgeist as an example of how humans are easily duped, and within 10 minutes I get a reply about evidence. You took a standpoint on zeitgeist, and assumed it was in opposition to mine. I have no opinion on that film, other than that it is very interesting to read people's response to it.

You either think that the Zeitgeist Movie is an example of something that is flawed and too easily accepted as truth, or you think that the claims within are true and we Christians accept what we are told all too readily. From your rather ambiguous posts your intention remains unclear, but the tone of your initial post suggests it's the latter. Maybe you can clear this up?

If you are simply looking for opinions of the Zeitgeist Movie then here is mine. It contains just about enough truth to hold all the lies, inaccuracies and spin together. It well edited, looks slick and seems plausible because of this. However, investigate the claims a little deeper, and it begins to fall apart as a credible source of critical analysis.

Do a search under the word Zeitgeist on this forum to see a plethora of threads discussing the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭homer911

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Slav

Hello, I suggest you educate yourself on what happened at Nicaea. The divinity of Christ wasn't invented at the council. Among other reasons it was convened to quash the Arian heresy and establish that the Spirit proceeds from both the Father and the Son and not just the Father.
    No, you are mistaken here. The controversial filioque clause is a sixth century addition by the Third Council of Toledo (which was not an ecumenical council by the way)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

Whether she's really in contact with spirits or making it up, she's putting way to much emphasis on angels and none on Jesus (that I'm aware of). I find that very suspicious.

Do the padrae pio test. Tell her to bow down and worship God.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

From the quotes of her provided here, the answer to the OP question Lorna Byrne - False Prophet? must be YES.

To qualify for the title one must give false prophecies/revelations. A false prophet might say many true things, but issuing any false prophecy/revelation is a sure sign the person is not from God.

Some false prophets are just good liars, in it for the money/power. Others may well have contact with the demons and so have some hidden knowledge on tap. They may exploit that ability for gain, or they may be happy with the prestige.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Compak

Hello,

God bless,
    Noel.

Why instead of asking others dont you go to the source. Pray to God about her. When I ask God all I see is blackness. I personally will be staying fully away and not listening.

If it turns out my discerning is wrong Im sure God will still guide me right in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Underbadger

this witch is almost certainly demon possessed up to her eyeballs

the original poster was correct she is summoning demons and unclean spirits ( fallen angels etc)

the bible says that God says to his people (Israel) in the old testament..

“When you come into the land which the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not learn to follow the abominations of those nations. There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire (an ancient occult practice, they used to sacrifice children to baal in carthage etc, note how this witch Lorna byrne speaks of the "power of children" on her website), or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord”

Deuteronomy 18:9-12

acts chapter 16 adds new testament reinforcement to what should be common sense to any Christian... don't engage with or pray to anything but the lord God, Jesus Christ and the holy spirit! That includes catholic false Idols such as Mary (who was a sinner) or some saint or statue.

ms Byrne says on her website...

"Your Angel is there all the time, waiting and hoping for you to start to listen to him. Angels have, in fact, been touching you all along"

shes not entirely wrong! demons are everywhere in fact they cluster around and test ( as much as they are permitted by the holy spirit who resides in side every Christian) gods children. They can only gain real foothold if you ask them to!!!

I any one of you who read this feel a spiritual voice in your life which you suspect, then test what its says against the bible, the devil will flee if you confront him with gods word, he will only prosper if you co operate with his /your real sinful agenda.

• Advertisement

this witch is almost certainly demon possessed up to her eyeballs
    Subtle as ever!
    acts chapter 16 adds new testament reinforcement to what should be common sense to any Christian... don't engage with or pray to anything but the lord God, Jesus Christ and the holy spirit! That includes catholic false Idols such as Mary (who was a sinner) or some saint or statue.
    Really? Can you quote the verse(s)?

Advertisement