Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City Restaurants (2010 - Present)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

From what I can tell its always Gazpacho!

Has been every time I have been there without fail anyway :) Havent been in quite a while now actually, the bread alone is enough to make you want to go back time and again though.

Was in Emilianos a while back, first time I had been there in years, had a bad experience there but decided it was time to give them another chance, food was excellent and they could sure teach a few other places about service!

Fantastic, couldnt have been happier with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Went to Sabai on Saturday night. The place was packed , which was great to see, but the service was great.
    I had the 5 spice crispy duck, which was gorgeous. The girlfriend loved her Massuman curry.
    Definite return trip to made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

Went to Flame last night for Valentine's. The place is fantastic, I had never been in Lemongrass or Limeleaf so not sure how much the interior has changed but the place is so comfortable, airy and well laid out. The food was class, everything was done to perfection and paced really well, both myself and my gf remarked how much we seemed to be eating but never felt stuffed because of the gaps between courses.

The only thing I didn't like was the brownie with dessert, it was heart shaped which was cool but I like em' soft and moist and it was very hard, dry and seemed overbaked. The cheesecake was lovely though. The staff were all polite, friendly and very attentive. One thing my gf did say though was she felt they were over-attentive, we were asked by 3 different staff was everything ok in the space of a few minutes, but I actually liked that, I'd rather that, than have to go looking for service. I'll def go back, really enjoyed it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

I went to McLeary's with 3 friends on Thursday night and everything was lovely. I had the Seafood and Shellfish Bouilleabaisse and it was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 birdlake

Been to La Fontana on the quay a couple of times over the past year or two. Definitely my favourite Italian restaurant in Waterford (even over Emiliano's...and it's easier to get a table too!) Always enjoyed great service and fab food, have to reccommmend the fish stew..yum! Early bird is 3 courses for e19.50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭next

Went to Fitzpatricks for Valentines night great food and great staff, place looks really nice so good went back again last night with some friends they had 3 menus running, an early bird for €21, meal for 2 including a bottle of wine €49 and the a la carte,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Are la taverna getting a makeover? Passed by a few times during the week and its been closed during lunch - but looks like sum activity inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭GrandBlaa

Lads, if you're going to Storm on Saturday night, where's a handy place to get dinner beforehand if you've fecked the car at Tescos - maybe Espresso on Parnell St? Or does Ginos get too packed by 7:00-8:00ish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭south

soprano's is only across the road from the cinema . Decent enough pizza

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Went into Flame last night before the cinema. 10/10 for service. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Tried their own bruschetta which was like a stir fry but would have liked to see the standard bruschetta on the menu! Thought my stake was a bit tasteless, would love to have seen more steak options but nonetheless the dinner was lovely and filling. Chips were shoe string and were absolutely gorgeous. The Ice Cream is very nice also.

Work out around €40 for one starter, two main courses, a coke and ice cream.

Will definitely go there again.

• Advertisement

Went to Espresso this evening with my family for their special Wednesday promotion - early bird menu €10 per head.

Everything was lovely, we had bruschetta, spicy chicken wings, garlic bread pizza and tomato slices with buffalo mozzarello and pesto for starters. Mains were 2 different pizzas, 2 chicken fillets with mushroom sauce and rosemary potatoes and 4 Tiramisus for dessert.

Service was very good and the staff are very friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Had a busy weekend and was in Casey's last night and Flame earlier this evening.

Must say I was impressed with the meals in both places.

Had Tagliatelle with Chicken and Mushroom in Casey's followed by a strawberry & orange pavlova. Must say both were excellent. Everyone who was with me enjoyed their meals too. Value menu I think was two courses for €20 and there was a steak included on the value menu and a lot of other nice options.

Service in Casey's was good. The chef (I think) came out to us and he was very friendly. Couldn't think of anything negative to say about the place.

Flame though tonight was just something that bit more special. Love the layout of the place and we were just in front of the kitchen and I liked seeing how things were being prepared. The staff were unbelieveably friendly and our waiter in particular was exceptional.

Had crab wrapped in smoked salmon to start which was tasty followed by a flame burger and I must agree with Sully, the shoestring chips are fanstastic. Had the New York mess for dessert which is basically an Eton Mess with some Cointreau added but it was top notch.

If I had to recommend one I would have to say I preferred Flame.

Actually if I had one gripe is that I love diluted orange and the one they have in Casey's isn't nice at all. But that's just me and my weirdness.

Both places were also very busy which is great to see.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Flame was booked out yesterday evening. Great restaurant, that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

We tried Casey's last night and we were very impressed. My missis had the special - linguini pasta with white whine sauce, chicken and sundried tomatoes. It wasnt something I expected to see in a restaurant like that but it was fantastic. Definitely one of the nicest pasta dishes Ive come across in any restaurant.

I had the ribeye steak and it was cooked exactly the way I asked, and you get to choose 2 sides from a decent list of options, along with a sauce. It was €20+ but I cant complain because I felt I got what I paid for. I was stuffed after it so no complaints about the portion size.

It was a short visit but really enjoyed it.

Interestingly enough, we went to town without making reservations and couldnt get a table in Flame or McLearys. Caseys were very busy too and needed the table back for 8pm. Isnt it great to see that theres 3 or 4 solid restaurants that are really high standard for what people are after, and are that busy. All is not lost!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Great to see some restaurants in Waterford doing the basics so well - food and service. Great for the city to see so many good reviews.

Yep, seems Flame has improved itself dramatically which is great and fair play to them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I've been in Sabai a bit recently, collecting food. Every time I've gone in, it's always been packed. Great to see it.
    The food was gorgeous too. Have yet to have a bad meal from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

Not the most exciting request but we enjoy Fajitas from time to time, can anyone recommend some where in town that does them?

Our own ones in Revolution are good, tbh I haven't had them anywhere else so can't comment, not even sure where else does them, in the traditional sense anyway!

i.e.

Give you, Tortilla wraps, dips, sizzling platter with meat and veg and let you make the to your own preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

The revolution fajitas are excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

We really need a Mexican, of for Revolution to do more Mexican food...

I went with 3 friends to Flame tonight and it was lovely. Service was very friendly and helpful, food was lovely and good value. We'll definitely be going back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭Junior

Went Sunday to Caseys, brought out the wrong starter for my wife, then her main course had I would say luke warm mash potatoes. It seemed as if they just nuked the food after it was returned as the rest of the veg's suffered when it was brought back out. It wasn't a great experience, won't be returning. Sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

I was in the Gingerman for Sunday lunch, have been in there a few times for the food as it is handy if your strolling around town... I am very impressed with the food in their... of what ive got in their in the past Ive never left disappointed, or hungry, had lasagna on sunday and it was so nice, main courses only about a tenner each, and the crepes desert with toffee was top notch....... their stir fry is top class, and the bangers and mash are soooooo nice

I was in the Gingerman for Sunday lunch, have been in there a few times for the food as it is handy if your strolling around town... I am very impressed with the food in their... of what ive got in their in the past Ive never left disappointed, or hungry, had lasagna on sunday and it was so nice, main courses only about a tenner each, and the crepes desert with toffee was top notch....... their stir fry is top class, and the bangers and mash are soooooo nice

Yup lovely place to eat. Very friendly staff also. A little on the pricey side, but food is gorgeous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Smile12

sorry lads but could anyone tell me the opening hours for costa coffee shop on waterford beside penneys please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

In La Taverna few days ago since it's little revamp. There is an extra table downstairs after taking away that trellis thing beside the door.

The menu has changed a small bit, with some prices changing, but I couldn't remember the prices before, but I got a lovely spaghetti with bacon, egg, parmesan and black pepper for 9.50 at lunch time. And i think it was around 11euro on old menu.

I liked that they had the half pizzas on wooden boards before, but I see that they are now on plates.

They also have no menu outside now - just a blackboard of offers. How are people supposed to know what food they serve if there's no proper menu? Now this was only for lunch. Maybe they put out a menu for evening time but I don't pass then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Are restaurants generally busy on Patrick's Day?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Nas10

Smile12 wrote: »
    sorry lads but could anyone tell me the opening hours for costa coffee shop on waterford beside penneys please :)

Same as shop hours so 9-6 monday to saturday and till 9 on friday, not sure of sundays though.

Bit annoying really as you really need to work in near town to get a coffee, and a nice evening stroll through town and the decent coffee shop is shut.

• Advertisement

Nas10 wrote: »
    Same as shop hours so 9-6 monday to saturday and till 9 on friday, not sure of sundays though.

Bit annoying really as you really need to work in near town to get a coffee, and a nice evening stroll through town and the decent coffee shop is shut.

I'd assume the one in the cinema stays open later during the week though, so you could angle your stroll that way?

Advertisement