Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you listen to?

• 13-10-2011 10:25am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Great to see this forum going. :)

Current subscriptions
    Chillpak Hollywood Hour - podcast from Dean Haglund, Langley from the X Files...some ramblings about TV, entertainment, comedy and current events.

From Our Own Correspondent - checking in with BBC reporters posted around the world.

Kermode and Mayo's Film Reviews - always listen to this. The stand ins, Body and Floyd, are a bit on the dull side. They just don't have the raw enthusiasm needed, though they've improved a little. Kermode does tend to repeat the 'and it's X minutes longer 2001 in which we go from the birth of mankind...' line a little too often now. It seems a bit off the point and irrelevant when drawing a comparison to a beast of a blockbuster, particularly if it's a stupidly offensive one. In his defence, I think people put too much of an emphasis on expecting a rant and things work a bit better when the rants emerge on the fly or even when he likes things that people don't expect.

NPR It's All Politics - a good weekly summary of some of the political events/scene in the US. Two knowledgeable hosts with an informative if a little irreverent take on politics.

NPR - Foreign Dispatch - similar to FOOC

This American Life - the high watermark for radio, perhaps? Ira Glass is a dude.

Wireless Express Show - more film and TV talk.

Occasionally dip into
    Galatic Watercooler - three sci-fi geeks talk about sci-fi - films, TV, there's a bit of waffle and they are a bit self-congratulatory, but it's generally good fun.

BBC Radio 4 Friday Night Comedy - mainly listened in '08/'09

Documentary on One - RTE's radio documentary series. A variety of stuff here - personal stories, historical events.

On Point from WBUR - panel discussion on various topics. I'd listen to Liveline if it were closer to this.

Radiolab -should really try this again.

The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe - debunking some scientific myths/pop science silliness.

No longer running
    BBC - Americana. This recently ended, I'll miss it...interesting slice of America each week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Currently subscribed to:

The Complete Guide To Everything - Haven't listened to these for a while so have a bit of catching up to do.

This American Life - Just subscribed a couple of weeks ago after hearing good things and I have to say that I am impressed. Very good podcasts with an eclectic range of themes.

Friday Night Comedy - From BBC Radio 4. It's The News Quiz at the moment which I have to say I prefer, but The Now Show is very good too.

Fighting Talk - BBC Radio 5Live. Sports comedy show. Don't think it's a funny as it used to be so I don't mind if I miss one or two.

Guardian Football Weekly - Great twice-weekly podcast with the football writers from the Guardian having a bit of football-based banter.

Skeptoid - Some guy debunking popular conspiracies and urban legends. Interesting stuff.

Stuff You Should Know - Two Americans talking about a wide range of topics. Can be very interesting, even if the two guys can be slightly irritating.

I've also just downloaded the first couple of Freakonomics episodes. Hopefully they're as good as I've heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Angel L.

Currently subscribed to:

This American Life - I am always keep listening this, very nice podcasts

On Point from WBUR - sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭shefellover93

Only subscribed to one Podcast (Don't have an iPod)

The Football Ramble. An absolute must for football fans really, really enjoyable!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭pavb2

I was impressed by Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcasts,he's very opinionated and puts an original spin on topics like WW2's Eastern Front a 'snow' covered field which is actually human bones.

Check the web site I think many have been archived the punic wars and ancient empires,Churchill's black dog were also good. I like his what if style.

Also enjoyed A history the world in 100 objects

12 Byzantine Rulers - Lars Brownworth gives a great, easy to listen to account of the empire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

pavb2 wrote: »
    I was impressed by Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcasts,he's very opinionated and puts an original spin on topics like WW2's Eastern Front a 'snow' covered field which is actually human bones.

Check the web site I think many have been archived the punic wars and ancient empires,Churchill's black dog were also good. I like his what if style.

Also enjoyed around the world in 100 objects

Just checked him out. Thanks for the heads up!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is something I heard recommended on boards before. Good shout.

Do many of you keep individual episodes or do you delete them? I delete most, but hang on to some if they're particularly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭FreezeUp

Smodcast is hilarious, but trust me when i say you don't need to listen to every epuisode, as it sucomes to overkill.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Not really a fan of Mr. Smith, though I've never listened to his podcast. Shares a bit too much of himself, I think.

Garrison Keillor's A Prairie Home Companion is worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

The History of Rome by Mike Duncan. - Fantastic series, which is now on episode 156. Short and detailed episodes.

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. - Pithy and opinionated series on major historical events.

The Adam and Joe Show - Come back guys!

Guardian Football Weekly. - Getting sick of it, as I'm getting sick of the people and events they talk about.

The Economist Podcast. - To keep my unfaltering support of the principles of the free market alive.

NPR's Car Talk - good fun even if you know nothing about cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

This is only a Test - By the folks over at Tested.com, talking about all things tech

The Giant Bombcast - The GiantBomb.Com gaming podcast

Rooster Teeth Podcast (Previously The Drunk Tank) - A bunch of drunks talking about random sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭pavb2

http://itunes.apple.com/ie/institution/uc-berkeley/id354813951

Look under courses and popular collections

I found this a great site with many different lectures took me about a year to get through European History (1750 to WW1) History 162A. Others include

The Rise and Fall of the Second Reich History 167B

Rome History 106B.

The Ancient Mediterranean World, History 4A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I will mention my favourite right at the top.
    Its a small time comedy show from LA called "Huff & Stapes"
    Which is now currently airing on the toadhop network

For car stuff there is the "Gas station Podisode"
    A bit geeky but they do some real world stuff... its not all super cars.

The Guardian football weekly because I too belong to Jimbo

2 BBC shows next.
    Kermode & Mayo film review..... very good.
    Fighting talk.... presented by Colin Murray, very scripted but sometimes very funny

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

ESPN UFC Podcast: Correspondents from ESPN/The Times discussing UFC events and they often obtain interviews with big name fighters which are very interesting.

Football Weekly: Decent football podcast that is on twice weekly. It's decent most times but can be quite awful at times, particularly if there's an international break. :pac:

Football Ramble: An excellent weekly football podcast that I've only started listening to this season. Very funny and give an insight into leagues that wouldn't get much coverage here.

True Faith Podcast: A Newcastle United podcast that reflect on previous games and upcoming games. Done by two lads who are part of a Newcastle United fanzine and who regularly attend supporters meetings to keep overseas listeners in the loop. Very funny too.

5 Live Football Daily: Not sure why I'm still subscribed to them to be honest as the complete guff they can come out with sometimes is very irritating. It's decent of a Friday though for the "Kicking Off" show they have with Colin Murray. Often have footballers/managers on the phone to talk about their game the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

ESPN UFC Podcast

Adam Carolla show..really enjoy this show,love his humour and gets good guests.

Dan Lebatard show.Miami sports show with Lebatard and his team,another good sports show for those who like a bit of contrarian sports view

The Bugle.Very funny stuff but finished for the time being.

Fighting Talk-5Live comedy sports quiz

Friday Night Comedy-Conedy from BBC Radio 4

Frank Skinner-His absolute radio show,very funny if you like frank skinner

Grantland.com various sports podcasts from the Grantland.com site.

BS Report-Bill Simmons podcast on ESPN,good mix of sports and pop culture.Sometimes its basketball,sometimes its a really good interview with Louis Ck for example.

Fitzdog radio-Greg Fitzsimmons comedy podcast,funny and good guests.

Joe Rogan Experience.

This Week with Larry Miller-Available on Adam Carolla's ace network and one of my highest recommendations.

Smodcast-Going off Smith a bit but every now and then this can be a great podcast

Tony Kornheiser Show.Meant to be a sports show but furtherst thing from it.Another very high recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stevo11

is it a bicycle...? - A TV and Movie Podcast from Ireland
    Its into Season 2 now.
    http://www.isitabicycle.com/
    +
    http://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/is-it-a-bicycle/id456965765?ign-mpt=uo%3D4

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Chequered flag formula 1: BBC radio 5 Live

NPR its all politics. 2 guys discuss american politics in 20 mins. bit left of center.

Real time with bill maher. probably my favorite podcast. very left of center and very funny.

rugby on off the ball. Newstalk

off the ball football. Newstalk

science weekly. Guardian science correspondents discussing the weeks science news.

Skeptiod. A guy discussing popular myths and looking at the actual evidendce.

Stuff you should know. 2 Guys discussing a topics informative and funny.

10 o clock live. audio version of the C4 tv show on wednesday night.

Atheist experience. live call in tv show from texas where the atheist hosts discuss issues with theist callers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Some I'm enjoying at the moment, with feed URLs (for those of us without Apple devices):
    • The Bugle: dropped by The Times, still going great guns on Soundcloud;
    • Newsjack: BBC topical comedy with the listeners doing most of the writing;
    • Two from Dan Carlin: Common Sense and Hardcore History;
    • News from Lake Woebegon: Garrison Keillor's long-running comic monologue from A Prairie Home Companion, about a small town where "all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above-average". :p

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mrg123

I havent listened to any of the above podcasts but I do listen to the XLR8R podcast, RA podcast, CLR podcast. These are all great if you are into electronic music!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Andremac96

The Guardian - Football Weekly

The joan Lee show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 izeult

I quite like the talking history ones from News Talk :) the series on the America presidents are great bite sized ones in particular

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Joe Rogan

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Ill only list ones that have not been listed so far:

Peacock and Gamble - weird, rambling and the funniest thing to hit the internet since Adam & Joe. Just two guys talking absolute sh1te

Read it and Weep - A bunch of guys review terrible pop culture offerings - audiobooks, movies and books are all reviewed.

Answer me this - funny people answer questions sent in by listeners in a successful mix of facts and jokes.

Jezek wrote: »
    Answer me this - funny people answer questions sent in by listeners in a successful mix of facts and jokes.
    Fixed that for you.

Heard a few people on about that podcast so tried it out. It's presented by the two most annoying and unfunny idiots on the internet. I'm quite baffled as to how it's so popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Obviously funny is in the ear of the listener-

surprise surprise, people are different!

Jezek wrote: »
    Obviously funny is in the ear of the listener-

surprise surprise, people are different!
    Please point me to where I said otherwise?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

My Washing Machine is more interesting than todays pop .

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭duiggers

Listen mostly to Jay and Silent Bob Get Old podcast, the earlier ones were the best and funniest podcasts from the smodcast network and well worth a listen.

That Jason Mewes has lived a pretty ****ed up and sad life

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

There are some surprisingly good and interesting podcasts on RTE Doc on One.

I mostly listen to Radiolab and This American Life thought I used to also listen to the Short Story Fiction podcast on The New Yorker too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Iv always listened to Smodcast but i must recommend Smod 207 featurinh Bryan JOhnson of Tell Em Steve Dave and Comic Book Men talking about how he got addicted to pain pills. V interesting and funny as always

Advertisement