Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel car for long commute

• 14-09-2013 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 34 ponderousanon

Hi!

I'm not sure if I am posting in the right place but I'm going to be taking on a long commute to work on an hour each way (mainly motorway), so I am looking into getting a new Diesel car with low mileage that will be reliable and easy on fuel! I'm pretty clueless in the area of cars but have been advised to stick with a 1.4 to 1.6 litre. Would this be right? I'm also wondering whether anyone has advice on the type of car to go for? I'm currently looking at Golfs, Ford Focuses, Auris's and also quite like Honda Civics. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Feeling in the dark and overwhlemed at the cost! Thanks all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They haven't quite reached classic status yet :)
    Moved to motors

How much have you to spend

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ponderousanon

Hi!

Yes think I missed the proper option!

Budget is max 15,000

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Hi!

Yes think I missed the proper option!

Budget is max 15,000

Considering you have a budget of 15k, there is no need to restrict yourself to 1.4 or 1.6 liter engines as with that amount of money you will probably be looking at post 2008 cars which have their tax based on emmisions rather than the cc of the engine.

With the high mileage though the car will be cheaper to run with a lower engine size no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Considering you have a budget of 15k, there is no need to restrict yourself to 1.4 or 1.6 liter engines as with that amount of money you will probably be looking at post 2008 cars which have their tax based on emmisions rather than the cc of the engine.
    I'd be careful with this incase they change that system and you could be left with a higher 1.9-2.0 litre tax bill than what exists now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

With the high mileage though the car will be cheaper to run with a lower engine size no?

What miles will you be doing

wesf wrote: »
    I'd be careful with this incase they change that system and you could be left with a higher 1.9-2.0 litre tax bill than what exists now
    it's highly unlikely that will happen. If anything they will increase the cost of the tax but it will be awhile before it catches up with the cost to tax a 1.9/ 2.0 on the cc based system.

not necessarily. If it's a big car with a small engine it will probably cost more to run than the same car with a larger engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Id probably get a seat exeo 2.0 tdi, youd probably get a 2012 for your budget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

With 10 hours minimum per week on motorways look for a comfortable diesel 6 speed under 2 liters.

Lots to choose from as you have a big budget.

If your worried about cost buy a diesel for 5 k
    Run it for a few years and sell on. There will be much less depreciation.

• Advertisement

Missed these responses til now, thanks everyone! Ya ill be driving 1000 miles per week at least so ten hours, mainly motorway. I would be worried about getting a cheaper low mileage car as it could end up needing so much servicing. I'd love to spend less really but thought it best to get as low mileage as poss. N!would a 1.4 or 1,,6 be better on balance of the drive and cost of running it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

An underpowered diesel will never be better on balance of the drive. The difference in fuel consumption between a 1.6 and a 2.0 diesel is minimal, yet this extra 30-60 hp you get from the 2.0 makes all the difference.

Anyway, if I had 15k to spend, I'd spend it on a Superb or a Passat 2.0 TDI, both with a DSG Gearbox.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Skoda/Superb/ELEGANCE/37313789136628290/advert?channel=CARS
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Passat/Highline/36313758841149370/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

For motorway work small diesels are out of puff and out of there efficient range.

Imo I wouldn't go below 2 litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,833 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

you could go for a new hyundai i20, ford fiesta or kia rio around that budget...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    you could go for a new hyundai i20, ford fiesta or kia rio around that budget...

Keep this underpowered shiet off the motorways! They're good for cities, not motorways.

Sobanek wrote: »
    Keep this underpowered shiet off the motorways! They're good for cities, not motorways.
    While none of those cars are ideal for long commutes or regular motorway use, they are not as bad as you describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

I am in a very similar situation to you OP and I'm currently looking at the 1.6 Diesel Hyundai i30 - I am trying to make my budget stretch to a 131 reg ex Corporate/Hire Drive (approx €21k) but I have seen a nice 2012 for 18K or you might even be able to get something a little older which is closer to your budget.

If you do go Hyundai I'm told (by my mechanic and sorta confirmed by the salesman) to keep away from their 1.4 Diesel at all cost.

With the sort of mileage we do a diesel with a warranty is a must.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

I have a 2007 2.0 Golf TDi which I use for a 450 mile per week commute. I average about 59 mpg per tank.

• corkgsxr wrote: »
    For motorway work small diesels are out of puff and out of there efficient range.

Imo I wouldn't go below 2 litre.

This isn't really true. While I'm not by any means advising the op to go for a small engine my dads 307 1.4HDI will sit at between 50 and 60mpg at 120km/h. Yes it's very very slow but the thing runs on the smell of diesel.

This isn't really true. While I'm not by any means advising the op to go for a small engine my dads 307 1.4HDI will sit at between 50 and 60mpg at 120km/h. Yes it's very very slow but the thing runs on the smell of diesel.

And a Passat sits between 45 to 54 MPG with much more power and torque.

And that's the B6 140hp TDI PD Engine. New Common rail ones are probably even more efficient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭vandriver

Missed these responses til now, thanks everyone! Ya ill be driving 1000 miles per week at least so ten hours, mainly motorway. I would be worried about getting a cheaper low mileage car as it could end up needing so much servicing. I'd love to spend less really but thought it best to get as low mileage as poss. N!would a 1.4 or 1,,6 be better on balance of the drive and cost of running it?

I hope you'll be on the road for a bit longer than 10 hrs !

vandriver wrote: »
    I hope you'll be on the road for a bit longer than 10 hrs !

How he drives should be none of your business to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Its just my opinion. Iv had small turbo diesels iv had non turbo big and small and I feel a 2l turbo is the best blend of power and mpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭vandriver

How he drives should be none of your business to be honest.

100 mph average!

vandriver wrote: »
    100 mph average!

So?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

He'll never do 40mpg at that speed, negating the need for an economical car suggestion.:pac:

Max Power1 wrote: »
    He'll never do 40mpg at that speed, negating the need for an economical car suggestion.:pac:

That's his problem :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Out of those fiesta does come with 1.0 ecoboost 125bhp engine, which gives 0-100km/h acceleration of less than 10 seconds, which IMHO is pretty good (anyway better than average Irish car)...

But even small cars with small engines can work fine on motorways.
    I got an 2013 Opel Corsa 1.2 petrol rental car recenty. Acceleration 0-100km/h - 14.5 seconds. Top speed 160km/h.
    Car had no problems of travelling on motorway at 150km/h for few hundred kilometres. I don't think it cause any excessive wear and tear.
    Obviously fuel consumption suffered, but still wasn't bigger than in my previous 2 litre petrol mazda 6 at that speeds.
    Also comfort in that corsa was nearly non-existent. After more than 15 minutes of driving my back started to feel that car is not as comfortable as my own.
    Also I wouldn't like to crash in it.

But small engine with small power doesn't really mean that car is not suitable for motorway IMHO.

For OP I'd say i30 1.6 diesel should be fine. Reasonable performance with small running costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

1.9 or 2 liter diesel is best blend of power and mpg at motorway speed.

High bhp little engines have to work too hard so their not going to last the distance.

A 6 speed manual will make the best motorway cruiser

• Advertisement

visual wrote: »
    1.9 or 2 liter diesel is best blend of power and mpg at motorway speed.

High bhp little engines have to work too hard so their not going to last the distance.

A 6 speed manual will make the best motorway cruiser
    something like a 1.6 diesel mid size hatchback is perfectly adequate for motorway use

Advertisement