Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Package opened by Customs - item is broken???

• 13-08-2012 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I've been buying stuff online for about 14 years now, and every single time Customs has opened a package they've broken what's inside. Never, ever had a single breakage on anything else?

I've decided I've had enough, but can't find a number to complain? Calling the Revenue doesn't seem like the right line of inquiry! Anyone got any ideas of who is best to call?

(By the way, this isn't a rant against Customs or paying tax, just the fact that they must employ the most cack-handed individuals ever.

Honestly, every single time they've opened a package!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

pnag wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I've been buying stuff online for about 14 years now, and every single time Customs has opened a package they've broken what's inside. Never, ever had a single breakage on anything else?

I've decided I've had enough, but can't find a number to complain? Calling the Revenue doesn't seem like the right line of inquiry! Anyone got any ideas of who is best to call?

(By the way, this isn't a rant against Customs or paying tax, just the fact that they must employ the most cack-handed individuals ever.

Honestly, every single time they've opened a package!!!

How can you prove that they broke it, and that it didn't happen somewhere else in transit?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭pnag

Hi ejmaztec,

A good point, but there were two such items in the package, incredibly well bubble wrapped (but the box and packaging were stanley'd to bits), and the fact that I've only ever received broken items when Customs have opened the package points to it. Can I prove it absolutely? No. Should I at least flag it with them? I think so? Is it not too much of a coincidence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I've never had anything broken and I order a LOT of stuff which a lot of that gets stopped

Hey Tallon,

I'd say in several hundred packages over the years, I've had about half a dozen stopped, and every one that came with 'Customs' tape on it had a breakage. I tend to order movie memorabilia, so I get the feeling someone is playing with it when it's opened? This latest one is right where the breakage would be if it was dropped...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Its recommended that you complain to the local manager , and the Portlaise number is 051 862850.

Or you can write to the Customer Service Policy Unit at :
    Ist Floor
    Bishop's Square
    Redmond Hill
    Dublin 2

There is no specific form to be filled in, and your complaint will be referred to a senior officer who will investigate the matter fully and a reply will be issued as soon as possible, usually within one month

• Advertisement

Cheers, that's exactly what I'm looking for.

I know that An Post do a lot of good, and that Customs don't have an enviable job, but at this stage I think I need to highlight it to them.

Great stuff, thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Hey Tallon,

I'd say in several hundred packages over the years, I've had about half a dozen stopped, and every one that came with 'Customs' tape on it had a breakage. I tend to order movie memorabilia, so I get the feeling someone is playing with it when it's opened? This latest one is right where the breakage would be if it was dropped...
    Are you saying that there's some Customs officer somewhere, opening boxes, and if it looks like a toy, he's sitting on the floor playing with it?

Where are you ordering from? Ebay, amazon? America, china?

Tallon wrote: »
    Are you saying that there's some Customs officer somewhere, opening boxes, and if it looks like a toy, he's sitting on the floor playing with it?

Where are you ordering from? Ebay, amazon? America, china?

As bizarre as it sounds, that's the way it looks! I'm a huge movie fan, and so have ordered limited edition box sets (like the Terminator skull with disks inside) or a *legal* deactivated replica - both opened, both broken when arrived, and that's just two examples. I order from everywhere and anywhere, and regardless of port of origin, things have been opened (be it eBay seller, Amazon, or indeed, China.)

I have no direct proof, but I'd imagine it's the old "Oh, this is cool! Let's have a look... Oh, ****, dropped it! Well, I'll just put it back..."

Is it not too much of a coincidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

a *legal* deactivated replica - both opened, both broken when arrived,
    I could imagine them examining weird items very well, for drugs or to determine what they are, or if dangerous etc. I am surprised there are not more complaints about this. In those TV programs about customs you often see them handling stuff roughly when examining.

Very hard to prove it was them of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Do you not automatically get a cheque? I'm surprised they bothered to cover it up when they could easily explain how the damage happened accidentally.

• Advertisement

rubadub - yeah, I can imagine. I've been a nut for movie memorabilia for years, and I even remember in school (all those years ago!) how kids in my class (and even teachers!) could be really rough with props etc. They thought they were the real thing, you know?

fasttalkerchat - Nope :( Maybe it's my Irish cynicism, but I just get the picture it's a case of "Look at this! <plays with/drops item> Er, I'll just put it back..." They know I can't prove it, but as I said, the only breakages I've ever had has been when Customs have opened a box.

Advertisement