Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone ever have this warning and find a fix? I give up.

• 22-02-2012 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭

457x141px-LL-3d1f2f0c_Capture.PNG

I've just built a machine with an i5 2500k, Z68 Pro3 board and an AMD 6700 but everytime I turn it on I get this on the Desktop^^^^:(.

It's a very common problem by the looks of it but none of the fixes on the other sites are working for me.:(

The 6700 is recognised in Device Manager but Windows refuses to use it, it will only use the onboard Intel GPU.

Everything works fine until I update the AMD Software/Drivers.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Try disabling the onboard video in the bios, just in case thats what is confusing the driver install

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

yoyo wrote: »
    Try disabling the onboard video in the bios, just in case thats what is confusing the driver install

Nick
    Problem doing this is that the LucidLogix Software that comes with the original driver disk (and works fine before updating) switches from onboard to discrete GPU itself depending on what your're doing/to save power.

Like Nividas Optimus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

From experience the Virtu graphics thing is nothing but trouble (always borked games on me by trying to run the game using the i5 :( )

Have you removed all the ATI software and reinstalled it from scratch.

(Bangs head of desk)

With all the installing and removing of software trying to fix this, I've managed to mess up a couple of windows installs.

To save myself the hassle of installing it again, i installed driver sweeper to wipe all the AMD drivers.

Now on restarting after doing this i have no display at all!!

I cant even boot from the windows disk, it loads up from the disk as thats the order i have it set to/i can hear it but i cant see anything on screen and thats testing on two screens.

Any ideas???

How can i reset the system back to "out of the box"?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

(Bangs head of desk)

With all the installing and removing of software trying to fix this, I've managed to mess up a couple of windows installs.

To save myself the hassle of installing it again, i installed driver sweeper to wipe all the AMD drivers.

Now on restarting after doing this i have no display at all!!

I cant even boot from the windows disk, it loads up from the disk as thats the order i have it set to/i can hear it but i cant see anything on screen and thats testing on two screens.

Any ideas???

How can i reset the system back to "out of the box"?

Try removing the video card, setting the bios to use the onboard then see if Windows loads ok. Its seems odd to me Windows won't boot at all with generic drivers, so it does look like some sort of conflict going on.
    If you burnt the windows 7 disc it may be the disc has degraded, become unreadable. It can happen, if burning discs I reccomend burning at half the rated speed, so 16x->8x, 8x->4x etc.

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I agree with yoyo on this , just take the graphics card out and startup the computer, if it works ok on integrated/onboard graphics just clear up any remaining leftover files of the removed graphics card and install it again and install the correct driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,515 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

you're not going to like me when I said I honestly just reformatted my PC after trying to figure it out too long.

Well, in fact, I gave up, lived with the problem for 3 months, THEN reformatted when MS offered me an expense cost copy of Ultimate. Havent had an issue since.

That's an extreme way of fixing the pc but if only it was that simple as backing up 500GB of stuff can be a tedious task and then reinstalling all the.. zod forbid windows updates/service packs and programs is just very time consuming. I used to do this format thing myself before just to fix problems but never again, I will hunt the problem down even if it kills me, will not format unless it is a last resort.

if you can get into safemode with onboard/integrated graphics and get a visible screen , restart the pc into safemode and select command prompt and type in CHKDSK C: /f

there is a space between chkdsk and c: and another space between c: and /f if you manage to get a visible screen back do this and it should fix the file system if that is the case.

I'm getting somewhere...

I took out the GPU and was able to boot into the BIOS, or the UEFI as it's called now (Bad Video of it) switched to onboard and Windows loaded.

Shut it down and stuck the GPU back in (reset CMOS, no reason, just did) booted back into the UEFI and set everything back to default, kinda sorry I didn't take a note of what some of the settings were in there before I did as I haven't a clue what they mean (Low MMIO Align? Can be set to 64 or 1024:confused: Google says set it to 1024, If you say so google:o)

Switched primary GPU adapter back to the 6770 and shut down again, stuck the Windows Install disk back in for a fresh Install (badly needed), connected Computer up to TV with a HDMI cable connected to GPU HDMI port, updated everything to the most recent updates that I had downloaded earlier (didn't use any of the original driver disks) including the BIOS-->which I'd usually avoid but you just have to put the update on a USB, turned it on anddddddd no warning:), Catalyst Control Centre is running fine, GPU can be overclocked, multiple displays and all that, Virtu seems to be working.

But,:( after about 5mins the display keeps going, black screen. I was fit to cry...:rolleyes:

On Computer now using a DVI cable (which actually causes the error to pop back up on restarting:confused:, I read that improper resolution can cause it, seemingly so.)

I'm hoping that it's a faulty HDMI Cable, it can't be something set wrong in the UEFI...it's gonna take time to go through all that.

Will update if I get it sorted.

Worst thing about all this is that it's not even my computer, it's for my little bro, the little ****e won't even say thanks when I get it sorted after specing, ordering, building and installing all of it. Git.

Thanks for help guys.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    you're not going to like me when I said I honestly just reformatted my PC after trying to figure it out too long.

Well, in fact, I gave up, lived with the problem for 3 months, THEN reformatted when MS offered me an expense cost copy of Ultimate. Havent had an issue since.
    Lucky you.

Sooo, could Windows Home be the problem? I was...or am thinking that the software just may not be compatible....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,515 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Lucky you.

Sooo, could Windows Home be the problem? I was...or am thinking that the software just may not be compatible....
    Nah its the exact same kernel, Ultimate just has more whistles. I would have been just as well off to install the Home Premium again.

Advertisement