Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreigner student

• 10-04-2013 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi.
    I'm currently moving to Ireland with my family. I expect to enrol my 4 1/2 years old boy in a primary school. I have sympathy for the 'educate together' approach.

I'm searching for a home in Lucan, so maybe Griffeen Valley and Lucan East could accept my kid.

I know that there's a pre-enrolment policy, that there's no garantee that you can have a place in any of them. But I would like to know: is this usual to happen?

Another doubt: he currently speaks few words in English, does anybody here can give some advice regarding the best way to integrate him with the Irish culture and the language?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

There are essentially 5 Educate Togethers in Lucan. So also consider Lucan Educate Together, Esker Educate Together and Adamstown Castle Educate Together. They are all heavily over-subscribed so it is very common for children not to get a place.

There is also a new Community National School, Scoil Oscair, opening in September. This is also multi-demonimational but follows a slightly different approach to faith education than ET so you may not be happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I wouldn't worry too much about him adapting to Irish language and culture. Very few children will have any Irish and young children are extremely fast at picking up a new language. You can prepare him by getting some picture books and reading them with him. I would also spend some time speaking English to him.
    I spoke several languages before age 6 and I can't recall learning them. It's a great age to become bilingual

• Registered Users Posts: 7 chrisreichel

Thanks @Miss Lockhart and @yellowlabrador. Very helpful answers.

Advertisement