Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

noise of rain on velux windows

• 21-07-2010 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭

hi we live in dormer with three velux windowat rear of house. 2 are bathrooms one large one is in bedroom. anyway on very wet nights like last night it can be hard sleep with noise of rain. new baby on way and the back bedroom will be theirs. is there any way of minimsing noise of the rain?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Actually you are better off for everyones sake in leaving the noise there for the baby. A) because babies like that sort of "white noise", it reminds them of the womb
    B) You dont want to train your baby to only be able to sleep in silence, believe me!

As for yourselves I dont think there is too much you could do, possibly attaching some sort of film to the glass would dampen it a bit, but not sure how long it would last outside...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Some women think the sound of rain falling is kinda romantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Gulliver

There is an external shutter you can get, but it's expensive and being metal, could sound a lot worse.

As GreeBo said, the best thing is to acclimatise children to these noises. There was a clock in my gran's bedroom that she had since she was a teenager. It would strike the time on the hour and once on the half hour and she would never hear it, but knock on the door and she'd hear that straight away. I could hear it a couple of rooms away when staying there.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

thanks for the replies the sound of normal rain can be soothing i suppose romantic not sure:) heavy rain like last night though is just noisy.
    i take your point though that the baby will be used to it. our other lad sleeps thru everything although he is in front room with no velux

km79 wrote: »
    thanks for the replies the sound of normal rain can be soothing i suppose romantic not sure:) heavy rain like last night though is just noisy.
    i take your point though that the baby will be used to it. our other lad sleeps thru everything although he is in front room with no velux

There are special external rain/wind guards that you can buy from Velux for their windows,but I think they are quite expensive.

Maybe have a look at the velux website to know more.

• Advertisement

thanks one other thing is given the size of the window the room gets very warm in summer very cold in winter. have black out blind on inside

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

if you are really really stuck put a towel on the outside. its temporary.

did it once when i was working nights and could not sleep during the day. dampens the sound and washes the towel :D:D:D just kidding

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

the simplest solution is to replace the glass with triple glazed units. it will dampen most of the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtheman

kitser wrote: »
    the simplest solution is to replace the glass with triple glazed units. it will dampen most of the rain.

Is that easily done ?. Reason I ask is because I have a Velux light in my kitchen. During the very cold winter I can to the conslusion that I was losing a lot of heat out through the Velux. I was thinking of installing a double glazed panel inside it (this would man that I couldn't open the Velux window, but I never open it, I use it for light rather than heat).

Sorry for the thread drift.

This would be beinficial for velux windows and also other windows too.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/WF/3MWindowFilms/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

Velux generally have a 24mm double glazed unit, so it can be changed to a 24mm triple glazed unit. call a local glass shop. ask for super spacer/thermix spacer bar. the aluminium spacer bar is not really energy efficient, the one in the kitchen should be double glazed unless its ancient. if its really cold in the winter, it could be that it wasn't properly insulated when installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

they get used to it, my eldest has been in his room since he was 1, no trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

You could maybe try an external blind ,which would break the sound of the rain maybe ?

I've used this website a few times for velux blinds and had no problems.

Link

Edit : Haven't heard of anyone loosing sleep over rainfall ,people get use to it.

has anyone used the velux external awning blinds which control room temperature?

Advertisement