Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rogue US soldier went on rampage in Afghanistan, 10 civilians dead, five wounded!

• 11-03-2012 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭

This will not end well for the Americans who, already under scrutiny by the Afghan locals after the Koran burning issues, now have a bigger problem to contend with.

Looks like a US soldier left his base at 3 am local time, and entered local homes shooting innocent civilians seemingly at random. Women and children are reported to be along the fatalities.

Left his base at three am local time.........

(just when the bar was closing?)

He walked off his base at around 03:00 local time (22:30 GMT Saturday).

According to a resident quoted by Associated Press, he opened fire in three separate houses.

After carrying out the killings, he reportedly handed himself over to the US military authorities.

Local tribal leaders said women, children and men were among the dead.

The Americans may have to withdraw from Afghanistan sooner than they thought if shenanigans like these keep occurring!

Full story here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17330205?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

There are no bars in Afghanistan for soldiers AFAIK. I've heard they get like 2 beers each at Christmas, but that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

There are no bars in Afghanistan for soldiers AFAIK. I've heard they get like 2 beers each at Christmas, but that's it.

I'd have imagined the compounds would have their own fully self sufficient bars no?
    (genuine question)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

Wow. Liberators eh?

This guy should get the death penalty back in the States. Or to save the hassle, just hand him over to the Afghanis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

well, thats what happens when you train people to kill people.

• Advertisement

Don't know what the pub and club scene is like but there's a fair bit of smack over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

maybe he was bored,

his playstation was broken? or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

F ucking headcase

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Maybe he converted

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

old_aussie wrote: »
    Maybe he converted

What does this even mean? The thing about jokes is, if you're not funny, you shouldn't try it.

BBC are reporting a breakdown, tbh that's bull****, if it were I'd imagine he would have ended himself after his spree. Hopefully they will court martial this soldier and not end up giving him a slap on the wrist and a demotion like they normally do for their murderers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Foghladh

karma_ wrote: »
    What does this even mean? The thing about jokes is, if you're not funny, you shouldn't try it.

BBC are reporting a breakdown, tbh that's bull****, if it were I'd imagine he would have ended himself after his spree. Hopefully they will court martial this soldier and not end up giving him a slap on the wrist and a demotion like they normally do for their murderers.

I thought it was hilarious!

So if it wasn't a breakdown then what would you class it as? A sanctioned attack?

I'm not sure that all breakdowns have to end in a suicide either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

BBC are reporting a breakdown, tbh that's bull****,.

And of course you were there, and fully quallified to to analyse the situation and reason behind it. :rolleyes:

Foghladh wrote: »
    I thought it was hilarious!

So if it wasn't a breakdown then what would you class it as? A sanctioned attack?

I'm not sure that all breakdowns have to end in a suicide either

That you find it hilarious I find in no way surprising.

What would I class it as? Let's see... Murder!

That you find it hilarious I find in no way surprising.

What would I class it as? Let's see... Murder!

I don't think I'd dispute that it was an act of murder. What I dispute is your assertion that it couldn't have been caused by a mental breakdown. You base that on what? A gut feeling or the nationality of the soldier involved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

What do people think happens in a warzone?

I don't think I'd dispute that it was an act of murder. What I dispute is your assertion that it couldn't have been caused by a mental breakdown. You base that on what? A gut feeling or the nationality of the soldier involved?

Spree killers usually end up taking their own lives.

Yeah well, mentally balanced individuals generally don't go on killing sprees whether they end their lives or not. I think if someone goes out solo to kill 10 people, outside of an operational context, you'd be hard pushed to argue that they were sane

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

There are plenty of cases where they don't.

Howard Unruh
    Charles Starkweather
    Christian Dornier
    Julain Knight

There are too many factors that push someone to go on a spree killing to nail down why they may or may not kill themselves after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

This is what happens when young, impressionable people are shown that killing is okay.

It's hardly the first time something like this has happened either, see below:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Lai_Massacre

I'm calling in advance that his punishment will be extremely lenient, as the US will make up some bull**** that he was provoked. In My Lai, the only sentence handed down was two years house arrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

I feel bad for the soldier, he obviously had some sort of breakdown, it must be terrible to work in that dump of a country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

robman60 wrote: »
    This is what happens when young, impressionable people are shown that killing is okay.

Bullshit.

There are plenty of spree killers who had no history in the military. There are also plenty of soldiers worldwide who would never think of going on a killing spree.

Just because this guy is in the army you can't claim that to be a conclusive factor in what he did.

fedor.2. wrote: »
    I feel bad for the soldier, he obviously had some sort of breakdown, it must be terrible to work in that dump of a country

Me too poor little mite couldn't handle the job he signed up for and slaughtered innocent women and children. He should be given a massage, a blow job, a hot bath and a nice home cooked meal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

American bases are dry.

well, thats what happens when you train people to kill people.

I'm trained to kill people and haven't done this, neither has anyone I've served with.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Ghandee wrote: »
    I'd have imagined the compounds would have their own fully self sufficient bars no?
    (genuine question)

No alcohol allowed on bases in war time.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,477 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

No alcohol allowed on bases in war time.
    No war was declared..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Eh am I missing something here? He murdered ten people! Personally I can't sympathise with a murderer of innocent people

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

16 dead now

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Overheal wrote: »
    No war was declared..

Conflict zone then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

its tough stations for all concerned, but more so for the innocent people mowed down in their own homes, with no chance of defending themselves. The crazy thing is it will happen many more times and with the world being such a small place it lets the other crazies see how much the media and the rest of the world will take notice of them if they up the crazy stakes.

• Advertisement

I feel bad for you.

Advertisement