Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Hi Limerick Man,

Love the OP, did you ever get around to posting a sellers version?

I'm about to flog an 05 Renault Megane Monace 1.4L with 70,000 km's on the clock plus a 00 Lexus IS200 with 80k+ miles on the clock. Any idea what I should be asking?

Lexus has had a new timing belt and clutch in the last six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Sadly neither of those cars would have a great resale, the demand for the Lexus Is200 has decreased alot lately and the supply has increased.

If it was me, I'd be cleaning up both cars, chancing the Megane at €4250 (and decreasing the price to around €3750 if it doesn't sell within a reasonable time frame) and about €2250 with the hope of getting somewhere between 1500-1800 for the Lexus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Whats the story with bringing a car to a garage to get it checked over before you buy it? Ive got a car last febuary and never bothered to do it, and when I went to sell it a few weeks ago no one wanted to do it. Is it the done thing? Is it really necessary? I never heard of anyone doing it.
    I am having a look at a car during the week and I will probably do a motorcheck, would that be not enough?
    cheers

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Whats the story with bringing a car to a garage to get it checked over before you buy it? Ive got a car last febuary and never bothered to do it, and when I went to sell it a few weeks ago no one wanted to do it. Is it the done thing? Is it really necessary? I never heard of anyone doing it.

Very, very few people would bring a car to a garage, most people will bring a mechanic with them but never bring it to a garage.
    I am having a look at a car during the week and I will probably do a motorcheck, would that be not enough?
    cheers

No, a motorcheck is not enough. That's purely to check the history of the car, it's far from enough to check the current condition of a car. You really are best off bring a qualified mechanic with you to view a car for peace of mind.

Very, very few people would bring a car to a garage, most people will bring a mechanic with them but never bring it to a garage.

No, a motorcheck is not enough. That's purely to check the history of the car, it's far from enough to check the current condition of a car. You really are best off bring a qualified mechanic with you to view a car for peace of mind.

alrite man cheers, how much would a mechanic cost roughly to check it?

• Advertisement

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    alrite man cheers, how much would a mechanic cost roughly to check it?

I can't honestly answer that question because it completely depends on the mechanic.

Sadly neither of those cars would have a great resale, the demand for the Lexus Is200 has decreased alot lately and the supply has increased.

If it was me, I'd be cleaning up both cars, chancing the Megane at €4250 (and decreasing the price to around €3750 if it doesn't sell within a reasonable time frame) and about €2250 with the hope of getting somewhere between 1500-1800 for the Lexus.

Thanks LM, went to the garage today and the guy offered me a fair bit less than that for them so its a private sale for me.

I've also got an 01 BMW 520 Mtek which has 86k miles on the clock, any ideas as to its value?

I've just found out that number two is on the way so we're in the market for a people carrier, was looking at the SMax Ford, looks decent yet costly, what the general opinion of them?

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    Thanks LM, went to the garage today and the guy offered me a fair bit less than that for them so its a private sale for me.

I've also got an 01 BMW 520 Mtek which has 86k miles on the clock, any ideas as to its value?

I've just found out that number two is on the way so we're in the market for a people carrier, was looking at the SMax Ford, looks decent yet costly, what the general opinion of them?

The 520 without looking at other prices and if it's nct'd I'd be sticking it up for around 2250 and seeing how you go from there.

As for the Smaz I have only experienced one in my time, I was mad about it. Probably my favourite people carrier, main thing would be to watch out for service history etc. like any car, but they are a nice place to be in :)

Went to clean up the damn Lexus which has been in the garage for a couple of months and it's as dead as the proverbial Dodo. Missus has buggered off in the BMW so I only have the Megane on hand, is it ok to charge a Lexus battery from a Megane?

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    Went to clean up the damn Lexus which has been in the garage for a couple of months and it's as dead as the proverbial Dodo. Missus has buggered off in the BMW so I only have the Megane on hand, is it ok to charge a Lexus battery from a Megane?

Charge it? No, jump it, maybe. I'd do it, but I'm not saying it's ok to do so. Probably better of buying a new battery for it, if it's fubbered it's going to stay fubbered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭connie147

Hey LM, very good post.

Im going buying myself a car and wondering if you could help with a guideline price. The car I have my eye on is 2007 Ford Focus ghia, 1.6l, 115BHP with 1 owner and 48,000 miles. Its been sold in a main dealers. Im not trading anything against it, straight deal. They were asking 8,900 for it, I have them down to 8,000 and reckon I could squeeze another couple of hundred off them.
    Is this a fair price, or should I be getting it cheaper? I know the garage and the salesman, so no worries at all about anything being wrong with it. I also rang the previous owner who told me he just traded it against a new car.
    Just looking for advice on price and indeed if anyone here has good/bad things to say about the 1.6l Focus Ghia?

connie

If you're happy with the car, a bit under 8k wouldn't be bad at all! Any link to it?

If you're happy with the car, a bit under 8k wouldn't be bad at all! Any link to it?

Yeah, heres a link

http://www.beepbeep.ie/used-cars/car-details.html?car=52027_1408819

Thanks for your advice anyway. What do you think of the focus ghia, and I guess, what do you think after checking the link?

Connie

Hmmm...

You'd probably buy this for 6k,

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2429015,

That gives you two grand to play with...

How much do you value buying a car you know from a main dealer you know with a warranty against buying a car privately as in on done deal?

Connie

connie147 wrote: »
    How much do you value buying a car you know from a main dealer you know with a warranty against buying a car privately as in on done deal?

Connie

Simple, how far would 2 grand get you? On a relatively basic engine! I'd be bargaining a bit harder. Again it depends on the car, if that one is absolutely spotless, it's in your home town etc. You have to weigh up your own options whether you want to "risk"buying privately, but to be fair, we've heard of as many bad stories as buying privately to buying from a dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

My car gave up the ghost recently so I'm driving the other half's Fiesta for the moment but it's a temporary measure only. I've decided I'll buy a Skoda Superb either 09 or 10 in the Elegance model and in diesel with the DSG gearbox (must-have requirements).

Friend's uncle owns a Skoda dealership so I've been discussing with them and they're looking into it, but given the specific requirements and the relatively low pool of cars sold in 09, options in Ireland are relatively few and they're asking if I could hold off until Jan/Feb 2012 as people upgrading will result in more 2nd hand options - that might be tool long for me to wait but I could manage if it was to make a big difference.

The above is specific to my case, but the following are general questions that will likely be useful to others, so including them in the buying guide thread seemed to make sense.

How much of a price difference could you expect in buying an 09 in Jan/Feb 2012 vs now (i.e. does price generally drop once the next calendar year kicks in or not)?

In general, on a 2nd hand car bought at a dealer, on a say €20k asking price, where would be the right ballpark to start negotiating a price from (e.g. offer €18k, €19k, €15k)?

Does buying in cash really make any difference to the dealer? And when people say buying in 'cash', am I right to assume they actually mean via a bank draft?

If price is not that negotiable, are there other areas the buyer can try negotiate on (e.g. any post-sales support additions/extensions to request)?

Given that the spec I'm looking for is not readily available in Ireland, if the dealer was to import from the UK for me (to save me the hassle and get the warranty from the dealer), should I estimate price based on Autotrader.co.uk price + VRT (about €5500) + maybe a grand for transporting/hassle? Or would the dealer likely get it at a good bit less than the Autotrader.co.uk asking price and are there other considerations to take into account?

Thanks for any pointers.

Friend's uncle owns a Skoda dealership so I've been discussing with them and they're looking into it, but given the specific requirements and the relatively low pool of cars sold in 09, options in Ireland are relatively few and they're asking if I could hold off until Jan/Feb 2012 as people upgrading will result in more 2nd hand options - that might be tool long for me to wait but I could manage if it was to make a big difference.

Tbh no, you won't see major price differences in used cars until maybe March of next year.
    How much of a price difference could you expect in buying an 09 in Jan/Feb 2012 vs now (i.e. does price generally drop once the next calendar year kicks in or not)?

No, it wouldn't drop straight away, they drop gradually over the year.
    In general, on a 2nd hand car bought at a dealer, on a say €20k asking price, where would be the right ballpark to start negotiating a price from (e.g. offer €18k, €19k, €15k)?

Best thing to do is go in and ask what the best deal would be if you were to buy straight, if they say 19,000, then hit low with 18,000 and worth your way up from that. If I had a car forsale for €20k and you offered me €15 I'd literally tell you to f off.
    Does buying in cash really make any difference to the dealer? And when people say buying in 'cash', am I right to assume they actually mean via a bank draft?

It doesn't matter, once the dealer is paid they're paid.
    If price is not that negotiable, are there other areas the buyer can try negotiate on (e.g. any post-sales support additions/extensions to request)?

Yes, absolutely, make sure it has mats, good tyres, a tank of petrol etc. etc. I'd be bargaining these even if I got 1500 off. When you're just about to sign the deal, act a bit hessitant and tell them if they put some petrol in it you'll be happy to go ahead with the deal.
    Given that the spec I'm looking for is not readily available in Ireland, if the dealer was to import from the UK for me (to save me the hassle and get the warranty from the dealer), should I estimate price based on Autotrader.co.uk price + VRT (about €5500) + maybe a grand for transporting/hassle? Or would the dealer likely get it at a good bit less than the Autotrader.co.uk asking price and are there other considerations to take into account?

TBH unless the dealer already had it I wouldn't bother, as most of them won't buy on "spec" in a hope that you'll buy it. In a way, they'd want at least 2 grand profit after it to cover with warranty etc. Most 09 diesels would have high miles anyway.

Im looking to buy a civic type r at the moment and im ringing around a few people. What the story with people having no paper work? Is that normal? Some have service work paper from their own ownership but nothing from previous owners. I find that strange esp since alot say they imported it from the UK, your hardly going to buy a car in another county without paperwork are you?
    Just want to get opinions, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Bombbastic22

Do you think it's worth buying a car with 130,000 miles?

Which of these do you think is the better buy? I've heard the old model passats are more reliable.

What do you think of these two:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2546757

http://www.alhayesmotors.com/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201123202812493

• Advertisement

I've a 01 TDI with 240k miles on it, going like new. I'd buy the older model.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I'm on the verge of buying an E46 318Ci, the 1.9. I know it's going to be all show and no go but I've always liked the look of them and can't afford a 6pot at the moment.

Seems like the previous owner ran into all of the common faults, new wishbones, new water pump and new stat. AC Cars were looking after the servicing. She's done 86k miles. Anything else to be paying attention to?

I'm on the verge of buying an E46 318Ci, the 1.9. I know it's going to be all show and no go but I've always liked the look of them and can't afford a 6pot at the moment.

Seems like the previous owner ran into all of the common faults, new wishbones, new water pump and new stat. AC Cars were looking after the servicing. She's done 86k miles. Anything else to be paying attention to?

Not really, a cousin of mine has one that's he's selling, it's a 03 and he's had it over a year and IIRC bar normal wear and tear items, tyres etc. he hasn't had any problems with it. There's around 80,000 miles on it, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Not really, a cousin of mine has one that's he's selling, it's a 03 and he's had it over a year and IIRC bar normal wear and tear items, tyres etc. he hasn't had any problems with it. There's around 80,000 miles on it, too.

Cheers. Have you ever stumbled across him sobbing at how much petrol it's drinking? That's my major worry but heart seems to be beating head on the issue!

Anyone think the mileage on this is a bit too good to be true. It's an 2003 1.9 Diesel Passat and the mileage is only 65,000.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2531791

Cheers. Have you ever stumbled across him sobbing at how much petrol it's drinking? That's my major worry but heart seems to be beating head on the issue!

It was his wifes car and she does very harmless mileage so I'm fairly sure, even if I asked him, he wouldn't know.
    Anyone think the mileage on this is a bit too good to be true. It's an 2003 1.9 Diesel Passat and the mileage is only 65,000.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2531791

Looks like an English import, that would lead me to say yes, it's very low. A simple history check could reveal all :)

You should be charging for this Limerick Man! It's more than just a post now - it's a one stop shop for advice on buying a used car!

You should be charging for this Limerick Man! It's more than just a post now - it's a one stop shop for advice on buying a used car!

Oh I wouldn't charge, no point in having the information and keeping it to myself :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Tbh no, you won't see major price differences in used cars until maybe March of next year.

No, it wouldn't drop straight away, they drop gradually over the year.

Best thing to do is go in and ask what the best deal would be if you were to buy straight, if they say 19,000, then hit low with 18,000 and worth your way up from that. If I had a car forsale for €20k and you offered me €15 I'd literally tell you to f off.

It doesn't matter, once the dealer is paid they're paid.

Yes, absolutely, make sure it has mats, good tyres, a tank of petrol etc. etc. I'd be bargaining these even if I got 1500 off. When you're just about to sign the deal, act a bit hessitant and tell them if they put some petrol in it you'll be happy to go ahead with the deal.

TBH unless the dealer already had it I wouldn't bother, as most of them won't buy on "spec" in a hope that you'll buy it. In a way, they'd want at least 2 grand profit after it to cover with warranty etc. Most 09 diesels would have high miles anyway.

Really informative post, thanks!

I test-drove a Superb today. 2.0 TDI with the DSG gearbox. It was the 140bhp model but certainly had all the poke that I need, quite nippy so the 170bhp would just be a nice to have. Really liked the car and definitely going to go for it so now it's about finding the car with the right spec.

• Advertisement

Really informative post, thanks!

I test-drove a Superb today. 2.0 TDI with the DSG gearbox. It was the 140bhp model but certainly had all the poke that I need, quite nippy so the 170bhp would just be a nice to have. Really liked the car and definitely going to go for it so now it's about finding the car with the right spec.

Best of luck with the search, apparently the DSG's give a bit of hassle but like everything, keep it serviced. Lovely smooth box though.

Advertisement