Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheapest set up for calls to irish mobiles from abroad

• 19-06-2011 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

am living in Denmark and using Skype to call home.
    All of my family use mobiles - the majority being 087 and so I always call their mobiles from Skype.
    Do any of you happen to know if there is a cheaper alternative for calling Irish mobiles from abroad?

Thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

As I have no idea what the Skype charges are .....

Check out the Betamax group of companies - there should be one to suit your calling pattern ....... VoipWise, VoipGain, Rygna etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Hi
    thanks for the response - I had a look and ''webcalldirect'' from Betamax seems to be the cheapest at 11c per min for calls to Irish landlines.
    (Skype has been charging me 20c / min.)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Scroll through this page to get an idea of prices available.

http://backsla.sh/betamax

Be aware that some companies charge a call set up fee, and then charge per minute on top.
    Others do not have a set up fee but charge more per minute.

Most of my calls are very short, so I use a provider with no set up fee.
    You may have a different calling pattern.

There are also apps to install on smart phones which will allow the user to use their wireless connection to call VOIP to VOIP for no charge.

There are lots of options, including getting an Irish number for your VOIP if that might be useful.

You have a bit of research to do :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Rynga are 7 cent per minute AFAIK. The minimum connection fee for them are the minute, if you spend 2 minutes and 6 seconds your charged for 3 minutes (21 cent).

Therefore you do have a lot of research to do, I used to use Rynga but to be honest, we only call mobiles for about 10-30 seconds every now and again, so it wasn't work all the transaction charges they have etc.

As always, if you rely on these betamox providers (resellers) always check for support and costs.

You pay for what you get.
    I would recommend looking about these websites:

Goldfish.ie
    Blueface.ie
    Rynga.com
    Voipwise.com
    Claritytele.com
    Zentelecom.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭championc

Who did you swap Rynga for ? I'm using Rynga but use my freedays in generally less than 90 days so I'm ending up with a credit of 30 days of freedays every topup. I possibly have a similar low connect time of calls to mobiles

Sofar ME3000 Battery Storage Inverter for sale in Ballinteer, Sth. Dublin - see Adverts.ie - https://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/solar-sofar-me3000-battery-storage-inverter/32914042 or PM me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Well at the time, Blueface! But the amount of service interruptions mean business is lost a lot for us as phone is one of our main contact points..

Advertisement