Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

stopped by guards today, need advise

• 01-06-2012 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi guys

here is the story, we went to the town for shopping today and my wife drove my car back from the town. went through a check point today, guards has stopped us and checked the insurance/tax, which is fine as I have it displayed.
    however, He started asking for her driving license ect... and asked her if she got an insurance to drive my car. she has her own insurance for her own car alright, but I doubt if her insurance will cover her to drive my car too. we have to ring up the insurance company to check this out on Tuesday, but in the meantime, the guards asked my wife to produce her insurance cert in a garda station within 10 days. My question is, how serious is this? if she find out on Tuesday that her own insurance won't cover to drive my car, will she go to court?

thank you all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

She'll most likely go to jail for 6 months, driving with no insurance is a serious offense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

jackie.du wrote: »
    Hi guys

here is the story, we went to the town for shopping today and my wife drove my car back from the town. went through a check point today, guards has stopped us and checked the insurance/tax, which is fine as I have it displayed.
    however, He started asking for her driving license ect... and asked her if she got an insurance to drive my car. she has her own insurance for her own car alright, but I doubt if her insurance will cover her to drive my car too. we have to ring up the insurance company to check this out on Tuesday, but in the meantime, the guards asked my wife to produce her insurance cert in a garda station within 10 days. My question is, how serious is this? if she find out on Tuesday that her own insurance won't cover to drive my car, will she go to court?

thank you all.

Check the Cert for her insurance and see if it has "driving other cars cover" extension.

If it does then your wife is entitled to drive your car (Third Party cover only as long as the driver has the owners consent)

It comes as standard with some policies but not all and its an extension that a lot of people don't realise they have.

If she dosen't have that cover I can't advise you on what the implications might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Have a look at your wifes insurance certificate and see if it covers driving other cars.

Driving with no insurance would be a serious offence which can carry a significant fine and 5 penalty points AFAIR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

Compton wrote: »
    She'll most likely go to jail for 6 months, driving with no insurance is a serious offense.

Most likely? absolutely not. Particularity if it's a first offense.

It is a serious issue but 6 months in prison :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭friendlylady

Hi guys

thank you all.

Don't mind previous post, most likely if she has a full licence and is insured on her own vehicle she has insurance on yours, i have a full licence and am insured comprehensively on any vehicle, now if she doesn't have full licence, your are in trouble, but probably to the point of a fine and points, please don't worry as long as you were not involved in an accident you are alright, you'll survive. Full licence and you're home and dry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Shouldn't your wife be insured as third party?
    Almost all insurances let you drive other car on open insurance as long as that car is insured by someone else.

I got my misses as named driver and misses got me as named driver just to be on safe side thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

It's not that serious for a first offence! I don't think this post is helpful to an already worried OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Justin10

Would an open car policy on his policy not also cover his wife?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

She won't go to prison ffs.

Can I ask a question, now it may sound like as silly question, but why in the name of jesus was your wife driving your car with you as a passenger when it's "doubtful" that she was insured? Why didn't you just drive the damn thing yourself?

I've heard some moronic stuff before, but that takes the biscuit tbh.

Unfortunately, you'll only get a fine and a few points.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Would an open car policy on his policy not also cover his wife?
    It's far more likely that she has the driving other cars extension than that he has open drive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

? isn't anyone else thinking this?
    Why didnt you check this before she drove your car?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jackie.du

thank you guys, thank god she got full licence. We won't find out if she's being covered by her own insurance company until Tuesday next week. but that option is like a fine print that she won't realized while she sign up the insurance years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

:(

If your wife has a comprehensive policy she should be ok. The vast majority of comprehensive policies allow you to drive another car not owned by you ... though cover will only be 3rd Party.

Look here

Motor insurance offences: generally punishable by a fine of up to €2,500, disqualification of one year or more for a first offence and two years or more for a second offence, and, at the discretion of the court, a term of imprisonment not exceeding six months. Where the court decides not to impose a disqualification drivers convicted of a first offence of driving without insurance will incur 5 penalty points on their licence record in addition to any other penalty imposed by the court.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

OP: here is the deal:

Have your wife bring her certificate of insurance and license with her to the Garda Station.

The Guard will see these as being in proper order.

Tell your missus not to volunteer that she was driving your car, just that she was asked to produce her insurance.

When the Guard gives you the all clear, tell her to request the Pulse ID of the entry he will have made in his computer. This will be a record of her visit in case he forgets to properly log it.

Do not worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Hi guys

thank you all.

Basically if it turns out shes not covered she will get a summons for no insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Nah I was only joking, seeing as its Ireland, nothing is likely to happen. She can probably show her own insurance cert and all will be well.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Can I ask a question, now it may sound like as silly question, but why in the name of jesus was your wife driving your car with you as a passenger when it's "doubtful" that she was insured? Why didn't you just drive the damn thing yourself?

Maybe op had a few pints, so she drove them back home? OP felt tired and unfit to drive, so wide drove car home? OP sliped and broke his leg, so he could not drive? I could go on and on with examples. It's not as rare as it is.

*i don't approve driving with no insurance, but it's not as rare and stupid to have your partner to drive your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Someone has reading/comprehension issues.

Please tell me why the op will get points and a fine?

Try engaging brain before putting mouth/fingers into gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Did the Garda take down any details, or was it a general chat?
    If not then don;t bother unless he has a photographic memory of your licence plate etc..

I was on a few drink and I think I'm not suitable for drive which I believe this is to protect public safety??

• Advertisement

Thanks pkiernan, will this leads her an impression that not being honest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

Be careful of the third party cover on other cars clause.
    When I was insured with AXA, "driving of other cars" excluded Spouse/partner's car, I had to name my wife on my policy and she had to name me on hers. Also other car had to have tax and NCT which led to more bother with my brother's NCT exempt classic car, AXA couldn't tell me wether or not I was covered to drive it under my 3rd party cover to drive other cars clause:rolleyes:. got named on his policy too...

the guards took down everything the reg, her DL number, my DL number, name address ect...Oh and, asked for our contact number. originally this was only a alcohol screen test

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Someone has reading/comprehension issues.

Please tell me why the op will get points and a fine?

Try engaging brain before putting mouth/fingers into gear.

Oh noes, I said 'you'll' instead of 'she'll', I'm so ashamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

You must be new around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

You should not need to wait until Tuesday, get out your wifes and your own insurance cert and read it. It will say driver or classes of drivers insured. If you have open driving on your car that will more than likly cover her if she has a full licience and is over 25. Also your wife may have driving of other car's on her policy again it will say. Check your policy/cert. In future put both on as named drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Pkiernan wrote: »
    OP: here is the deal:

Have your wife bring her certificate of insurance and license with her to the Garda Station.

The Guard will see these as being in proper order.

Tell your missus not to volunteer that she was driving your car, just that she was asked to produce her insurance.

When the Guard gives you the all clear, tell her to request the Pulse ID of the entry he will have made in his computer. This will be a record of her visit in case he forgets to properly log it.

Do not worry.

I reckon this is spot on,
    Most policy's will insure you on another vehicle as long as it is insured.
    You should defo get each other on your respective policy's, I know my insurance actually went down when I added bandana girl on mine.

lol

Thanks pkiernan, will this leads her an impression that not being honest?

The Gardai will have a record of the car she was driving and well try to verify that she was indeed insured to drive that car. Her insurance cert will detail the reg of her own car and possible mention what other vehicles she can drive under her insurance, most third party extension exclude spouses as mentioned. Unless the Garda who stopped her took insufficient details she's looking at a summons for driving with no insurance. That results in a driving ban in many cases, even for first offences.

Surely ye have her insurance cert and policy schedule, all nfo you need to ascertain is she insured to drive your car is in there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Mylow wrote: »
    :(

If your wife has a comprehensive policy she should be ok. The vast majority of comprehensive policies allow you to drive another car not owned by you ... though cover will only be 3rd Party.

Look here

Motor insurance offences: generally punishable by a fine of up to €2,500, disqualification of one year or more for a first offence and two years or more for a second offence, and, at the discretion of the court, a term of imprisonment not exceeding six months. Where the court decides not to impose a disqualification drivers convicted of a first offence of driving without insurance will incur 5 penalty points on their licence record in addition to any other penalty imposed by the court.

Only if the court recieives the correct details ..:D

Advertisement