Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrera Vengeance 20" from Halfords IMPORTANT for buyers

• 29-07-2010 3:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭

i recently got carrera vengeance from halfords in Coolock, next to malahide road. the bike is nice loking and the price is 379.99

any1 who is interesting to use it for offroad cycling should save up a bit more and buy a proper bike....i am writing this to avoid another people doing the same mistake..:(

1. halfords staff are extremly unfriendly. when i came there first time the guy behind the desk was loking at me like potato from plastic bag.:D a polish dude with great english skills. all he said was here is your bike. he did not even mention words like thanks or please. I was feeling like unwanted gift.:) But as i know that i can be more sensitive in this way i went over it. So i took the bike from the shop and i bouth also lights there. they instaled them imediatly, with no words ofc..:)

2. after first ride i had to come back to the shop. 1 mile after i mean. the gear's werent working well. they fixed that, or the polish guy did. with no words again. nothing like sorry or please.

3. after 2 days only road use. tha handle carbridge **** up. i was unable to turn to sides. so i had to get transport back to the shop with bike also.
    The same guy there on desk. No helo, no good day, nothing again. I was waiting there for around 20 min to get sorted out. but finally they fixed that. with words like "here u go".

4. after 4 days of being owner of such a "great":mad: bicycle i decide to try a soft offroad. I joined a group of semi pro guys that they could show me how to use the bike. The bike totaly sux. I had to come back to the shop and i asked for full refund. Crankset was like from soft bread. It just fall apart. i did not even crash or force it to broke. it just sux big time.

after spending another money to get transport there and waiting in the shop another 30 min the same guy was there..i dont know if he was living in the shop but every time i went there he was on the desk. so he knows me. he came to the bike and he tryed to put the damaged part of bike back. he forced it and said to me its ok...its fixed...for the moment i was thinkin he though i am an retarded or mentaly ill.:eek: i said call me your manager and dont touch the bike. the manager arrived on scene saw what the polish sales guy wanted do and i got full refund with apologies.
    At end of the day i was happy to get rid of Halfords stuff

Pls dont do the same mistake as me...save a bit more money and buy bicycle from proper shop. where the people will know what they do. i went after to eurocycles on long road and i have to say that was like sweet dream...friendly staff with education and a lot of knowledge. Fair play to you Richie!!!

Thx for reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Should've done a search here for halfords and BSOs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

went out with semi pro's and trashed cheap mountain bike shock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

nope it wasnt the shock...and i did not use it hard...it was becaue halfords built it togheter wrong way..and at end of the day i spend a lot of more money for transport that i could use on the beginning and stay out of trouble.

and i am normal person..all i needed was a customer service..and normal bike..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

I bought the 18" version of this bike for my son and we're happy with it.

I wouldn't call it a BSO; I checked it out before I purchased and I am happy with the quality. Generally Halford's Carerra brand is pretty good - I'd call it the Skoda of bikes - but they do sell some BSOs as well; some of their Apollo's bikes might deserve this reputation and they have some Trax bikes that might also deserve the BSO label. I also saw a Raleigh Venture that didn't impress.

I purchased from Halfords with my eyes wide open and had little expectations - these have been exceeded and I have to say I'm happy. It sounds as if the OP wasn't willing or able to do some basic maintenance himself; I'd say if you buy from Halfords and expect them to give you a warm feeling about how they look after you you will be disappointed. Perhaps you should have gone to your LBS instead - and presumably paid more.

More generally, this is the way the world is going. Everything is price driven nowadays but consumers must remember you can't have it everyway. It has taken a few years, but people have now stopped being hypocritical about Ryanair; if you don't like them - pay more and get a better service elsewhere.

This is neither a defence of Halfords or a rant against LBSs; I have purchased from both in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Bikerguy wrote: »

any1 who is interesting to use it for offroad cycling should save up a bit more and buy a proper bike....i am writing this to avoid another people doing the same mistake..:(
    :D a polish dude with great english skills.

Define irony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

'it's like goldey but is all silvery'

Baldrick from Blackadder

Can't believe I got a free chance to use this quote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

route66 wrote: »
    I purchased from Halfords with my eyes wide open and had little expectations - these have been exceeded and I have to say I'm happy.
    I think this is the common sense approach. I've purchased from Halfords, local bike shop and built up my own bikes. Of them all, the one with no problems is the one I built with patience and care and with the parts specced up to meet or exceed the requirements I set.

So one of your cranks came off, or it broke? My local bike shop bike has clanking cranks after 2 cycles, it's not just Halfords. Don't even think the shops install these - the bike comes in a box, they fit the pedals,straighten the handle bars, adjust the brakes and gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

langdang wrote: »
    Don't even think the shops install these - the bike comes in a box, they fit the pedals,straighten the handle bars, adjust the brakes and gears.
    Generally the bikes come from the manufacturer with the cranks already attached AFAIK, yes.

Attach pedals, attach bars, sometimes attach and adjust brake and gear cables, attach wheels, pump tyres- my experience is from buying online where they just ship the box from the manufacturer, I don't work in a shop.

A good shop would put a reasonable bit of effort into making sure the bike works 100% though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I wouldn't call it a BSO; I checked it out before I purchased and I am happy with the quality.
    The spec on that bike looks OK for the price, Rockshox fork, hydraulic discs and all Shimano parts. I susupect it was the Halfords assembly that went wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

ashleey wrote: »
    'it's like goldey but is all silvery'

Baldrick from Blackadder

Can't believe I got a free chance to use this quote

At least get the quote right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

I know but it was from memory and I wanted to put it in before someone beat me to it.

Thanks for posting the clip. Great

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭xyz123

I have one of these and its been used around Ballinastoe, Ballyhoura etc regularly with no problems. Its a decent entry level mtb bike.

The OP's one must have been a Monday Morning bike, as the crankshaft is Shimano as far as i know that one is used in Cube and Felt bikes. The weak point is the Front Forks which arent up to too much.

Ballkinastoe simply send it home...:( i mean mine bike.

And the coments about the guy in teh shop was nothing personal. i just wanted say that i believe there are people who wants to be happy and who are gonna treat u as customers.

And the bike isnt bad for that price..yeh thats right...i cant disagree with it. but just the things that happend to me recently made me to write down this topic. and i believe i wasnt first who noticed that something wrong with halfords.

As i said in the future i will choose proper bicycle shop, and today i did finaly. A new FeltQ920 is standing in my living room...i am about to replace TV.

So it was not abuse but jut the way have they made me feel in halfords that i just wont come back there.
    that was the point of it. carrera isnt that bad..but they just build it up wrong way! there is no excuse for them to let me spend several hours traveling and transportingthe bike up and down. Shop--->home--->shop--->home etc.

Define irony

i did not wanna be abusive to the guy. its a part or my review. take it or not..a small smile on his face and a simple education would take this diferent way.

than the crankset felt apart..and the aluminium part was damaged. they simply build it togheter wrong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

I to have say I totally disagree with what the op said about the carrera vengance. From the first moments I started riding it in Ballyhoura I loved it. I really dont agree about the crankshaft being like "made from soft bread" and even the pedals stand up to being belted off rocks and stumps. The only thing I have done to my bike is to take an inch off either side of the handlebars to make it more comfortable. This bike is a lot better and stronger than many of the so called "top end" bikes on the market.

The main thing when buying a bike from halfords is to remember that some of the staff there are just doing a job and may have absolutely no interest in bikes or cycling in general, going to a dedicated bike shop means you would more than likely be dealing with an actual real life cyclist who knows and understands what you are saying about your bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

<SNIP>
    And the bike isnt bad for that price..yeh thats right...i cant disagree with it. but just the things that happend to me recently made me to write down this topic. and i believe i wasnt first who noticed that something wrong with halfords.
    <SNIP>
    carrera isnt that bad..but they just build it up wrong way!
    <SNIP>
    If the bike is ok so and your real problem is the dude in Halfords who doesn't give a 5h1t about you, his job, bikes, life, etc, then it might be a good idea to change the title of this thread.

Certainly, if I was buying the bike today - rather than already being in happy posession of it - the thread title might put me off. If you want to have a pop, then please focus your dispute in the correct direction: infact, if you simply delete the "Carrera Vengeance 20" from" part, that might do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

It sounds as if the OP wasn't willing or able to do some basic maintenance himself;

he shouldnt have to , never mind 3 times in the space of 6 days.
    I'd say if you buy from Halfords and expect them to give you a warm feeling about how they look after you you will be disappointed.

stupid statement. its called customer service and if you buy something from ANYWHERE, you expect decent service.
    If you want to have a pop, then please focus your dispute in the correct direction: infact, if you simply delete the "Carrera Vengeance 20" from" part, that might do it.

ultimatly, the thread is about the BIKE falling apart times in less than a week. i think the OP has every right to name the bike in the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mockler007

This bike is a lot better and stronger than many of the so called "top end" bikes on the market.

ehhh no its not, don't lie to yourself mate.

as for doing the fixing yourself,
    listen mate, what rubbish are you inflicting on us
    how bout you buy a beamer and say that when something goes on it 3 times in a week, or a tv or a mobile phone. its brand new, why on earth would you want to fix it when it should have had the gears sorted and the rest before it was givin to the new owner etc etc

I do have good words about the lads in Halfords in Liffey Valley,
    not the same can be said for other stores under the same flag

kakee wrote: »
    I to have say I totally disagree with what the op said about the carrera vengance. From the first moments I started riding it in Ballyhoura I loved it. I really dont agree about the crankshaft being like "made from soft bread" and even the pedals stand up to being belted off rocks and stumps. The only thing I have done to my bike is to take an inch off either side of the handlebars to make it more comfortable. This bike is a lot better and stronger than many of the so called "top end" bikes on the market.

The main thing when buying a bike from halfords is to remember that some of the staff there are just doing a job and may have absolutely no interest in bikes or cycling in general, going to a dedicated bike shop means you would more than likely be dealing with an actual real life cyclist who knows and understands what you are saying about your bike.

well then you ain't riding it like you stole it/.!!! FACT
    i seen the crank, it twisted to cheese man. FACT
    please state what "top end" bikes this bike is better than, im dying to hear this triffel.
    if the guy has no interest in working in the bike rack, why is the manager not noticing this chap and getting in someone who actually gives a hoot.
    loosing custom over a retard, bad biz ethic.
    how much has he lost halfords so far this year from being a spanner

I wouldn't call it a BSO; I checked it out before I purchased and I am happy with the quality. Generally Halford's Carerra brand is pretty good - I'd call it the Skoda of bikes - but they do sell some BSOs as well; some of their Apollo's bikes might deserve this reputation and they have some Trax bikes that might also deserve the BSO label. I also saw a Raleigh Venture that didn't impress.

I purchased from Halfords with my eyes wide open and had little expectations - these have been exceeded and I have to say I'm happy. It sounds as if the OP wasn't willing or able to do some basic maintenance himself; I'd say if you buy from Halfords and expect them to give you a warm feeling about how they look after you you will be disappointed. Perhaps you should have gone to your LBS instead - and presumably paid more.

More generally, this is the way the world is going. Everything is price driven nowadays but consumers must remember you can't have it everyway. It has taken a few years, but people have now stopped being hypocritical about Ryanair; if you don't like them - pay more and get a better service elsewhere.

This is neither a defence of Halfords or a rant against LBSs; I have purchased from both in the past.

whats your son use the bike for?? and where, then we can base your findings;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Mocrie14

Just bought the 20" version. Havent used it much yet but so far so good. Bloke in shop was helpful and if there are any probs they will be sorted in free six week service.

the bike is ok for commuting in the city...but its a far away from any top hardtrail bike. i am now owner of Felt q920 and all i have to say that, thats a diferent story - ride a normal proper bike..and ride a Carrera...
    carrera is worth 379.99 but its totaly not for offroad maybe made for weekend "park" rides. Its heavy and the components are simply builded togheter wrong way. tahts all what i wanna say. and Its fact that if u gonna spend more than 200€ in any shop u would accept that the sales assistant will be polite and he/she is gonna pay atention to u. education and knowledge is a part of job in this age that we are living.

And once again. I will recomend to dont buy bicycle from halfords, in the case u gonna use it on daily basis and for a bit offroad its worth to save more money and buy a proper one. Few euro that u going save buying stuff in Halfords are not worth it. Thats it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Mocrie14

the bike is ok for commuting in the city...but its a far away from any top hardtrail bike. i am now owner of Felt q920 and all i have to say that, thats a diferent story - ride a normal proper bike..and ride a Carrera...
    carrera is worth 379.99 but its totaly not for offroad maybe made for weekend "park" rides. Its heavy and the components are simply builded togheter wrong way. tahts all what i wanna say. and Its fact that if u gonna spend more than 200€ in any shop u would accept that the sales assistant will be polite and he/she is gonna pay atention to u. education and knowledge is a part of job in this age that we are living.

And once again. I will recomend to dont buy bicycle from halfords, in the case u gonna use it on daily basis and for a bit offroad its worth to save more money and buy a proper one. Few euro that u going save buying stuff in Halfords are not worth it. Thats it.

Well I got mine for €270 cos I had a gift voucher so I'm happy

Advertisement