Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can doctors test be wrong?

• 28-04-2010 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi,

I am 11 days passed ovulation, and took a pregnancy test this morning ( clearblue digital) it was positive 1-2 weeks.. I was thrilled. I went to doc and she said hers was negative. Could i be too early testing . I am due my period any day. Could she be wrong.

I have all the symptoms.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My gp doesn't do a test as he says if you get a positive on a couple of different home tests you are definitely pregnant:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

new2010 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am 11dpo, and took a pregnancy test this morning ( clearblue digital) it was positive 1-2 weeks.. I was thrilled.
    I went to doc and she said hers was negative. Could i be too early testing . I am due AF any day. Could she be wrong.

I have all the symptoms.

What is dpo and AF?

The newer pregnancy test are more sensitive so it depends on what one your dr uses. I would suggest waiting a week or so and then testing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

Thaedydal wrote: »
    What is dpo and AF?

The newer pregnancy test are more sensitive so it depends on what one your dr uses. I would suggest waiting a week or so and then testing again.

DPO: Days post ovulation

AF: Aunt Flo

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

Hi new2010 this happened to me on my 1st pregnancy clear blue positive gp one negative my gp told me there ones cheaper than clear blue and not as sensitive So i'd say congrats in order.

Thanks McConkey, I'ved edited the post for clarity, we don't use those short hand codes on this site.

new2010 were you tracking when you were due to ovulate?
    It could well be that you are expecting and you just got to give it a bit more time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Yes, the doctors tests can be very wrong. I was 7 weeks pregnant and took a test, came up positive, docs test came up neg. They're not very sensitive those tests.

Thing is though, you are still not due your period, so you should wait til you are late to test again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 new2010

thanks all! all may not be lost so!

sorry about the abbreviations.. i have learned most of them today- I have obviously been reading too many american websites today.

Fingers crossed. I should know for sure by next week.. ☺ thank you!

yes i was tracking - using clearblue ovulation test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

This happened to me too. I was just too eager to get to the docs once I had found out and their cheap tests weren't sensitive enough to detect the pregnancy hormone!

You'll only get a positive if you're pregnant as it detects the pregnancy hormone which is only present during pregnancy (and if you are having certain kinds of HRT which I assume you're not!)

I have just done another digital test, and its positive. I'll wait one more week before going back to a doctor. :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

congrats new2010 welcome to the bump club!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Swizzles

Congrats :D
    Did 3 home test all very very faint lines so its possible that you may have ovualated later that you thought and its not showing up in the docs one yet..

A false negative is normal..Youd never get a false positive on two tests :)

thanks so much! so happy!!! ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Could she be wrong.

Short answer is yes. Ask your GP for a referral for a blood test (they do them in Holles St.).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭3DataModem

You'll only get a positive if you're pregnant as it detects the pregnancy hormone which is only present during pregnancy (and if you are having certain kinds of HRT which I assume you're not!)

You can also get a false-positive from residual fertility drugs such as Pregnyl and other HcG... that is why they tell you to wait two weeks after IVF to take a test (and unfortunately why so many people who are understandably impatient get false hope).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I don't know if the tests are better now, but 19 years ago my mum's test, done by her doctor, came back negative. 9 months later I was born...

Congratulations though :)

thankfully I am not on any drugs, the docs was obviously less sensitive.. but she told me to " go home and keeping trying" and winked at me! it never entered her head that I was just a bit early for her type of test.
    I did a third today there now ( different brand - just to be sure) and it is positive..

I will ask for a blood test tmw.. its just more waiting☺☺
    thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭AmcD

Just about the blood test (hcg): you are probably better off just getting your GP to do another urinary pregnancy test in a few days time (even just 48hours later using an early morning urine specimen). The blood tests can sometimes take a ridiculous amount of time to come back. The last one I ordered for a patient took three weeks to come back. The standard issue HSE pregnancy tests are supposed to turn positive at 25 units hcg. The tests available in pharmacies can certainly be more sensitive.
    Also, locally in the Rotunda, they won't accept walk-in patients for blood tests, unless the blood tests are ordered by a hospital doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I wouldn't bother with the blood tests if I were you! You're pregnant. Three positive home pregnancy tests cannot be wrong. Just go back to the doctor in a couple of days and request another test, but bring a sample from your first wee of the day, it's more concentrated than the rest, so will pick up Hcg levels better.

Don't know why the doc would bother with more tests if you bring the tests with you, most just take your word. Although my doctor did even though I presented him with 7 positive tests.

Congratulations!

It's confirmed! I went to a different doctor ( in the same clinic) he confirmed it! Yay!

thanks all for the positive comments, it helped when the first doc ruined my joy! xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Swizzles

It's confirmed! I went to a different doctor ( in the same clinic) he confirmed it! Yay!

thanks all for the positive comments, it helped when the first doc ruined my joy! xxx

Congrats and welcome to the club ;)

• Advertisement

congrtulations new2010, hope your pregnancy goes well.

Advertisement