Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

case 4240, what are they like?

• 13-02-2012 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭

Hi,

a friend of mine was asking me if i knew anything about case 4240's, which i dont. he was looking at a 4220 with a loader and said it was nice a tidy and would be ideal around the yard and shed, but didnt have the power. the 4240 is supposed to be about 100hp. have seen a few around but dont know anyone with one. the low profile cab looks good for stockmen and they dont seem to be as expensive as a massy of ford.

so was wondering if anyone out there has had/has one and what would they be like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭stanflt

yellow50HX wrote: »
    Hi,

a friend of mine was asking me if i knew anything about case 4240's, which i dont. he was looking at a 4220 with a loader and said it was nice a tidy and would be ideal around the yard and shed, but didnt have the power. the 4240 is supposed to be about 100hp. have seen a few around but dont know anyone with one. the low profile cab looks good for stockmen and they dont seem to be as expensive as a massy of ford.

so was wondering if anyone out there has had/has one and what would they be like?

had a 4230xl for about 1 year-worst year of my life. only bought it cause the old 1212davey brown blew up 2days before xmas and it was the only tractor with loader available- s**t hydrolics-gears-arms-pick up hitch-
    a realy poor tractor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Same tractor as a Case 4230 which is about 80ish Horsepower. They added a turbo to give it the extra HP. Very hard to ge a clean 4240 as anybody that had them seemed to have worked them hard also hydrulics etc were not strong enough for 100hp tractor. No shuttle except on later models however I agree nice tidy tractor syncro mesh on gears used to give problems. Also digital dash often had to be replaced so you could get one that said 4000 hours but had 8000 on it.

If you get a nice clean one at right money I chance it but get it well checked out. But you would not want to treat it like a 100hp tractor

Also they have to be serviced regular engine and hydrulics oil,filters etc if you donot you will have problems not like Masseys or Fords that will gou on for years without serviceing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

doesnt sound ideal for heavy work then. probaly only be ok for general work then?

would be used for feeding cattle silage bales, cleaning out sheds (hence the lp cab) and pulling a 1600 gallon slurry tank. he also does a small bit of tillage so would need to be able to drive a rotavtor and pull a plough, and the usual bits and bobs (topping, spreading etc. he has an big 4wd which is ok but getting old and is too big for what he does now (used to do more tillage), and the yard tractor is too small for lifting the bales and other loader work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 colinJX90

well lads, i have a 1100 gallon tanker on a case jx90 ( 90hp ) and its struggling to pull it when filled, 1600 gallon behind 100hp would not be advisable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭jersey101

yellow50HX wrote: »
    Hi,

have one here for the last 14 years and cant say one bad word about it. Has 18,000 hrs on it. Granted it got fully reconditioned 4 yrs ago, redid the injector pump this year on her, that was due to dirty diesel, has a loader on her and stacks all the bales here. Around 800 straw and 700 silage. Used to stake alot more silage than that a few years ago when we did silage for other lads. Father ran a chopoer baler off her and a 10ft mower and said she was a right yoke on them. ATM here she feeds, beds all stock, loads all muck, scrapes all the **** around parlour, draws 700-800 bales straw and stakes tham, draws 700 bales of silage and stacks them. Also wraps all the silage. We still have the original back tires on here, there near wore out now, and we've gone through 4 pairs of front tyres. She's near fooked now but she has well paid us back. Theres alot of bad stories around about them and i honestly dont know why

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭maidhc

colinJX90 wrote: »
    well lads, i have a 1100 gallon tanker on a case jx90 ( 90hp ) and its struggling to pull it when filled, 1600 gallon behind 100hp would not be advisable

I have a 1600 gal behind a TS115 and it walks with it; by which I mean you know you are pulling it, but with no great drama. Actually had it behind a Zetor 6340 (7245) prior to that, it it was grand too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Sharpshooter82

jersey101 wrote: »
    have one here for the last 14 years and cant say one bad word about it. Has 18,000 hrs on it. Granted it got fully reconditioned 4 yrs ago, redid the injector pump this year on her, that was due to dirty diesel, has a loader on her and stacks all the bales here. Around 800 straw and 700 silage. Used to stake alot more silage than that a few years ago when we did silage for other lads. Father ran a chopoer baler off her and a 10ft mower and said she was a right yoke on them. ATM here she feeds, beds all stock, loads all muck, scrapes all the **** around parlour, draws 700-800 bales straw and stakes tham, draws 700 bales of silage and stacks them. Also wraps all the silage. We still have the original back tires on here, there near wore out now, and we've gone through 4 pairs of front tyres. She's near fooked now but she has well paid us back. Theres alot of bad stories around about them and i honestly dont know why

Bad stories from fellas that don't look after the machines I'd say

Bad stories from fellas that don't look after the machines I'd say

It is not just that if you smell an issue with these cases you have to fix. It is not just a matter of I finish feeding the cattle and call mechanic in the morning.

It is not just that if you smell an issue with these cases you have to fix. It is not just a matter of I finish feeding the cattle and call mechanic in the morning.

Not able for hardship farmer?

Not able for hardship farmer?

No not afraid of hardship and TBH if one of these tractors in good condition was coming at the right price I would buy it. However you have to be aware of the pit falls. They need to be serviced and if an issue arises fix it. If you are good with tractors it is an advantage however if not you need to be aware of pit falls.

• Advertisement

No not afraid of hardship and TBH if one of these tractors in good condition was coming at the right price I would buy it. However you have to be aware of the pit falls. They need to be serviced and if an issue arises fix it. If you are good with tractors it is an advantage however if not you need to be aware of pit falls.

Or have an eye and know when something isn't right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

We had a 2wd 4210 a while back. Himself had great value on it, a lovely tractor for yard work with a loader. It had the low cab (not the XL one), so it was ideal for sheds. The only problems I can remember is the amount of tyres we cut, no fault to the Case of course :o

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Mushy06

We've a Case 4230xl pro cab (no loader) with about 8 years now, and the only thing we've done to it was the hydralic pump which was about 400 yoyos. We farming about 50 cattle. 1100 gallon tanker which it pulls grand apart from very very steep hill nearby but it still chuggs away (Not too sure about 1600 tanker if hilly land). It does everything we ask really. But you do need to keep an eye on Hydralic oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

a 90hp tractor should run away with a 1100G tank. Its only about 5.5t of slurry and the tank.

My 100hp ran away with 1350G and now looking for 1600G for myself. I know a lad who has a 2050 major behind a MF390. Slowing it down is his issue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

a 90hp tractor should run away with a 1100G tank. Its only about 5.5t of slurry and the tank.

My 100hp ran away with 1350G and now looking for 1600G for myself. I know a lad who has a 2050 major behind a MF390. Slowing it down is his issue

alot depending on a hydralic pipe with that lad and his 390, i wouldnt be mad to pull biggish things behind a 390, that hitch wouldnt fill ya with confidence

simx wrote: »
    alot depending on a hydralic pipe with that lad and his 390, i wouldnt be mad to pull biggish things behind a 390, that hitch wouldnt fill ya with confidence

I pulled many 12 ton loads with my 398 and dump trailer. Hitch never broke yet. Many lads replace pins with cheap versions thats the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭memorystick

What would you pay for a fairly clean one with loader? Only 70 acres of grass of beef. Slurry, dung, topping and light work. Was thinking of a 7840 but that'd be overkill for the bit of work. It would only be 200 hours max per year which isn't very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭Who2

What would you pay for a fairly clean one with loader? Only 70 acres of grass of beef. Slurry, dung, topping and light work. Was thinking of a 7840 but that'd be overkill for the bit of work. It would only be 200 hours max per year which isn't very much.

a 7840 would be a grand tractor if you find a clean one with a loader it would be a nice size for 70 acres. your better looking at that bit of power than looking for it, even if its only for the odd hour or two here and there.

Who2 wrote: »
    a 7840 would be a grand tractor if you find a clean one with a loader it would be a nice size for 70 acres. your better looking at that bit of power than looking for it, even if its only for the odd hour or two here and there.

7740 sdlp even better for small user.

I myself like the 4240xl pro and actively looking for a 895/4240 xl at min

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭White Clover

Would an 844 or 856 be a better Tractor?

• Advertisement

Would an 844 or 856 be a better Tractor?

I have nothing decided fully yet. looking at a few of the 2000/3000 series JD also. getting 40k is no1

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

I have nothing decided fully yet. looking at a few of the 2000/3000 series JD also. getting 40k is no1

What horsepower requirement? You won't get much better than a 50 series JD.

one in need of work or a fresh one?

one in need of work or a fresh one?

Depends what it is

What horsepower requirement? You won't get much better than a 50 series JD.

60/70 hp minimum up.

Sweet 40k 2850 and loader for 10 Sterling on donedeal. 4wd. Outside budget

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭memorystick

7740 is ten inches shorter in the wheel base but it makes a whore of a difference with a loader. So I'm told

Depends what it is

i might know where there is one. rough around the edges but running well with a quicke loader.

7740 is ten inches shorter in the wheel base but it makes a whore of a difference with a loader. So I'm told

I pushed silage for 2 days with a 7740 SDLP and she was lovely on the pit with 8ft grape. the summer before I have pulled a 18ft redrock with a 7840 SLE . she needed weights on the front which it didn't have. that was the wet summer of 2002 and tractor was needed.

the potential electronic issues of the SLE versus the SDLP would push me for the standard gearbox

i might know where there is one. rough around the edges but running well with a quicke loader.

send me on a PM if you want. and we can see

• Advertisement
Advertisement