Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Playoffs 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Nuggets survive late Kobe onslaught. Huge game for Javale McGee, in 33 mins: 21 points, 14 rebounds, 2 blocks. He's a key player now in this series to compete with the Laker bigs. Andre Miller was sensational as well, check out his stat sheet: 8-11 FG, 6-6 FT, 2-2 from 3, 8 assists, 1 turnover. Should be a cracking atmosphere for game 6 in Denver.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

JaVale was awesome last night.

Well Orlando are finally done. We gave ourselves too much work to do, always letting Indiana get a big lead so we had to come back, and the Pacers made us pay big-time in the 4th last night. Great performance from them and well-earned.

New York @ Miami and Clips @ Memphis tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,135 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

CJ Watson doing his best Marion Barber impression. Why pass it to Asik in that situation? Use your head dude!!

That was a tough one. But fair play to the team for fighting back. I gave up half way through the 3rd down double digits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    CJ Watson doing his best Marion Barber impression. Why pass it to Asik in that situation? Use your head dude!!

That was a tough one. But fair play to the team for fighting back. I gave up half way through the 3rd down double digits.

Yeah that was pretty dumb, my jaw dropped as soon as he made the pass. I'm not half as disappointed now as when Rose got injured. Though I predicted better things, it became pretty clear as the series wore on the Bulls weren't going to be much of a factor beyond the first round.

Well done to the 76ers, defended really well (scoring, not so much). It's a young team and it's good experience for them to win a playoff series and get to the 2nd round. Happy for Doug Collins as well. He'd probably have drawn heavy criticism if they lost a 3-1 lead to a Rose-less Bulls, but a playoff series win vindicates his decision to return to coaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Nuggets fan here, don't post much though. Gotta say i'm incredibly impressed at how we brought in this "energiser bunny" approach and made a series of this, the Lakers have not been able to handle our intensity at all the past two games. Last night was as one sided a playoff game i've seen, it was only 15 points because the reserves finished it off. Kobe is sick and bitching at teammates, MWP hasnt played all series and is coming in cold tomorrow night, Bynum's heart isnt in it at all and Gasol looks atrocious. Looks like a divided lockerroom now too with Mike Brown siding with Kobe against Gasol and Bynum.
    Meanwhile someone different is stepping up for us every night, though Faried has been something special throughout. Unity over division.

I'd imagine the Lakers are regretting this from yesterday:
    Scott Hastings ‏ @ScottHastings
    Lakers all packed and ready to fly to okc....hmmm

They were made bits of last night, could not handle the pace at all. Stopped trying after a while, no wonder Kobe was giving out **** in his press conference:
    Kobe Bryant, asked if teammates matched his heart tonight: "No. Of course they didn't."
    On Metta World Peace "He's the one guy I can count on, night in and night out, to compete."

Momentum definitely with us now, but even if Lakers pull it off (and it's really beginning to look like they don't have the legs, last two games were dominated by us), OKC will have their merry way with them and take care of business in 5 or less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Fantastic game of ball there between the 6ers and Boston. Thoroughly enjoyable. Rondo stepping up big time tonight with a triple double to clinch game 1.

Next up Nuggets and Lakers. Faried needs to continue his form here if they are to defeat the Lakers in LA.
    Bynum and gasol need to step up big time. I fancy Kobe for 30+pts and that idiot MWP to have a great game after his rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Formation

Really enjoying the games lately. I rarely get to watch them.

If any of ye dabble in a bit of betting would you be able to direct me to a website that lists (for each game this season) the prematch odds for each team and also the handicap line. I would also require scores for each quarter from every game. Thanks.

Kinda glad the Lakers are through. It sets up a fantastic conference semi versus OKC. MWP is back, Harden is in fantastic form, OKC have a score to settle but Kobe is still gonna be Kobe. It could be a 4-0 rout for OKC easily or could go the distance. Love it.

And, whatever the result in tonight's last 1st round game, either the Clippers or Memphis will give the Spurs an entertaining series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Cant give Nuggets enough credit for last nights game, they were just fantastic for the entire series, one or two more pieces and they could be a real threat in the West. Ock v Lakers will be mental I think

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

ESPN's coverage is an absolute joke. I think I've seen one game on an actual tv and the rest have been on streams on my laptop. Took me a good while to find one for the game on atm

• Advertisement

ESPN's coverage is an absolute joke. I think I've seen one game on an actual tv and the rest have been on streams on my laptop. Took me a good while to find one for the game on atm

In fairness, the fact that they have it and cover constant regular season and play-off games sporadically is better than we've ever had (I believe?). They're 100% with coverage during Conference Finals and the Finals themselves. But before that basketball is non-existent on the schedule at weekends.

I remember my only NBA fix was the Saturday afternoon recap show on UTV and then hunting around to find what station was covering the Finals every year. So at least we have a semi-reliable spot now. ESPN made my Christmas evening this year with their coverage...was great to sit back after the day and just binge on back-to-back basketball.

But if you want great coverage and can afford it, look into the NBA TV play-off deal. Great quality, you can watch multiple matches split screen, get every game streamed or watch in full afterwards etc. Front Row are good for free streams but you can't beat guaranteed reliability.

leggo wrote: »
    Kinda glad the Lakers are through. It sets up a fantastic conference semi versus OKC. MWP is back, Harden is in fantastic form, OKC have a score to settle but Kobe is still gonna be Kobe. It could be a 4-0 rout for OKC easily or could go the distance. Love it.

And, whatever the result in tonight's last 1st round game, either the Clippers or Memphis will give the Spurs an entertaining series.

Lakers and OKC is like an early Christmas present for me tbh.
    I have always been a big Kobe fan and I feel Lakers can step up another gear.
    OKC though are probably the most enjoyable team to watch. Harden is on serious form and Durant, well on his day is unplayable.

I see the Clippers falling short tonight but they will invest again during the offseason and come back strong next year.

Clippers won't be hard to beat but Chris Paul will be a difficult task to handle for most teams.

Miami are going to have a tough series against the Pacers, Hibbert caused them massive problems, Miami did well it the 4th to shut down the lanes and keep the ball out of the paint.
    Pacers should keep on trying to get the ball into the big men, I think they have a real advantage there.

Clippers won't be hard to beat but Chris Paul will be a difficult task to handle for most teams.

Miami are going to have a tough series against the Pacers, Hibbert caused them massive problems, Miami did well it the 4th to shut down the lanes and keep the ball out of the paint.
    Pacers should keep on trying to get the ball into the big men, I think they have a real advantage there.

I can see Miami/Pacers ending like OKC/Mavs, in that they sweep them but all four games are competitive. Pacers struggled majorly at times against a massively under-strength Magic side, and Miami simply won't allow them that leeway once they drop their guard. We tired ourselves out against them, burned out after a long, stressful season, whereas in the Heat's mind the season just begins at the play-offs and they won't be run down.

As for the rest:
    • OKC beat Lakers in 6. But who knows, really? Anything could happen in this one.
    • Spurs sweep Clippers. 5 at most, but very much doubt the Clippers will even get one win.
    • Boston beat Sixers in 6.

I can see Miami/Pacers ending like OKC/Mavs, in that they sweep them but all four games are competitive. Pacers struggled majorly at times against a massively under-strength Magic side, and Miami simply won't allow them that leeway once they drop their guard. We tired ourselves out against them, burned out after a long, stressful season, whereas in the Heat's mind the season just begins at the play-offs and they won't be run down.

As for the rest:
    • OKC beat Lakers in 6. But who knows, really? Anything could happen in this one.
    • Spurs sweep Clippers. 5 at most, but very much doubt the Clippers will even get one win.
    • Boston beat Sixers in 6.

Yea, I can see where you are coming from in regards to the Pacers and Heat but I do think if they play smart they could give them a bit of trouble, just pound the ball inside.
    As for the rest, I am thinking pretty much the same but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Lakers vs Thunder starting tonight!!!!!!!

I cannot wait or this one. As a Laker fan I hope we can hold them off for one more year but you have to respect how far they've come in such a short amount of time.
    If the Thunder can get over the Lakers it could give them the boost they need to go all the way!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Really looking forward to OKC V Lakers tonight myself. Should be a cracking series.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭SoulGuy

You just need to keep checking their schedule each day since they usually give 24 hours notice of a game being shown . I only found out a couple of hours ago that they're showing the Lakers-Thunder game tonight.

Also looks like Bosh will be out indefinitely.

Sixers v Boston was a pretty poor game, very scrappy and Boston should really be taking care of the Sixers at home without too much trouble, still expect them to win the series but very poor tonight.

The Thunder are giving the Lakers some hiding, usually don't like blowouts but this is pretty enjoyable to watch :D. Oh and Ebank has just been ejected and threw a little tantrum on the way out. Poor Mike Brown, never had a chance did he...

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭SoulGuy

The Mike Brown hire sure wasn't Mitch's finest moment. . He didn't make a single sub for 9 full minutes with his team down 30.

• Advertisement

Woah...so yeah, OKC kinda mean business in this series. Think the Lakers will just want to get them back to LA after this and pray they can turn it around. Would love a 4-0 though, especially after MWP's carry on since the suspension.

Woah...so yeah, OKC kinda mean business in this series. Think the Lakers will just want to get them back to LA after this and pray they can turn it around. Would love a 4-0 though, especially after MWP's carry on since the suspension.
    Was last nights game not in LA?

Nope, OKC have home court advantage.

Chicago Bulls ‏ @chicagobulls
    Dr Cole says timeframe for Rose’s return is in 8-12 month range. Sometimes shorter, sometimes longer.

Best case scenario is he's back January 2013, worst case scenario is he misses all of next season :(

Well done Pacers, didn't catch all the game but they looked aggressive and deserved the win. As long as they keep on playing to their strengths and play team ball then they can continue to give the Heat problems.

Fair play Pacers.

What I really liked about them last night is they gave the Heat back just as much as they got in the physical stakes and Miami didn't like it at all.

LeBron missed clutch free throws again with under a minute left and the Heat down 1, he missed both of them and Indiana went down the court and knocked down one free throw to make it a 2 point game. Both sides had a lot of trouble scoring at the free throw line in the last minute of the game. Made for a really exciting finish with Chalmers missing the 3 to tie at the buzzer.

Big win for the Pacers who have 2 home games coming up now.

Did anyone catch the Clippers @ Spurs? I seen the score alright 108-92 Spurs, Duncan scored 26 and grabbed 10 rebounds according to the box score. Cracking win for the Spurs when you consider Parker only had 1 FG in the whole game, he was 1 for 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NXw7VKopmA

Wade should have been ejected for this. He's one of the most petulant players in the NBA when things don't go his way.

Wade is a flopper. There is no way around it. His game has become a shell of it's former, ring-winning self. Tremendous talent, but he falls down almost as often as Mario Chalmers, and is ALWAYS looking to the officials. This is not the Wade that won a championship in his younger days.... back then he played actual basketball, and made actual basketball plays. Nowadays, he plays some other game based entirely on trying to draw fouls. It's no longer basketball. It's drive, flop, fall down, look at the official.

Oh, and :)

577107_408452629186935_363680440330821_1258973_1133442276_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RMDrive

And where is Wades suspension??? Ah no. We could never suspend one of the Heats superstars now could we? Really dirty play. If Psycho T had done it to Wade you can bet your ass that he would be looking at a suspension.

Great win for the Pacers. They have nothing to fear from the Heat and if they can get big Roy going in the new few games and get DG to waken up, they have a great chance of taking the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

RMDrive wrote: »
    And where is Wades suspension??? Ah no. We could never suspend one of the Heats superstars now could we? Really dirty play. If Psycho T had done it to Wade you can bet your ass that he would be looking at a suspension.

Great win for the Pacers. They have nothing to fear from the Heat and if they can get big Roy going in the new few games and get DG to waken up, they have a great chance of taking the series.
    Look at the comparison of Smith's foul on Griffin in the Clippers V Hornets. Pretty much the same foul and he got ejected.

In the Griffin foul, the NBA is trying to prevent ordinary players from abusing superstars. They don't want teams to start using goons to rattle stars for strategic reasons.

In Wade's foul, it was the superstar playing goon. That's not something the NBA thinks will become a trend. There's little to no advantage gained to Miami from having Wade hurt Collison.

So yeah, I think the relative importance of the players played a huge part in the decision. A superstar acts up and gets a slap on the wrist. A nobody attacks a cash cow and gets the book thrown at him. That's how the NBA sees it.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    Fair play Pacers.

What I really liked about them last night is they gave the Heat back just as much as they got in the physical stakes and Miami didn't like it at all.

LeBron missed clutch free throws again with under a minute left and the Heat down 1, he missed both of them and Indiana went down the court and knocked down one free throw to make it a 2 point game. Both sides had a lot of trouble scoring at the free throw line in the last minute of the game. Made for a really exciting finish with Chalmers missing the 3 to tie at the buzzer.

Big win for the Pacers who have 2 home games coming up now.

Did anyone catch the Clippers @ Spurs? I seen the score alright 108-92 Spurs, Duncan scored 26 and grabbed 10 rebounds according to the box score. Cracking win for the Spurs when you consider Parker only had 1 FG in the whole game, he was 1 for 9.

I watched bits and pieces of it, Clippers did well at the start of the game, Butler and Young knocked down their shots which takes the pressure off Paul, but the Clippers need Paul to perform well at all times if they are to compete because they don't really have the players to fill in.
    Spurs are too deep and consistent and should win this series with relative ease.

On the whole Wade issue, he has gone from being one of my favorite players to a bit of a bitch, kind of just seems like it's since LeBron and Bosh came.
    Remember last year when him and LeBron were mocking Dirk for being sick, was disgusting and cringing to watch, backfired big time on them though.
    They really do just throw the toys out of the pram when things aren't going their way.

Thunder just stole that away from the Lakers, really thought the Lakers had it wrapped up with two mins left and up 7 but credit to the Thunder for keeping their composure. Harden really went at them in the last few mins and got to the basket.

Advertisement